New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Men armed with assault rifles walk through Portland to 'educate' public on gun rights | Fox News

"Officers said carrying firearms openly is legal in Oregon and carrying a concealed gun is legal with a valid license, according to the station. But doing one or both may generate 911 calls and possibly tie up resources that are needed for a real emergency."

So INSTEAD of educating the public on what constitutes a REAL EMERGENCY, they go on to say:

"The Portland Police Bureau, however, asks anyone who sees someone armed with guns to immediately call 911."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would also be perfectly legal in NYS right? I was thinking about doing this for a while...

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Men armed with assault rifles walk through Portland to 'educate' public on gun rights | Fox News

"Officers said carrying firearms openly is legal in Oregon and carrying a concealed gun is legal with a valid license, according to the station. But doing one or both may generate 911 calls and possibly tie up resources that are needed for a real emergency."

So INSTEAD of educating the public on what constitutes a REAL EMERGENCY, they go on to say:

"The Portland Police Bureau, however, asks anyone who sees someone armed with guns to immediately call 911."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would also be perfectly legal in NYS right? I was thinking about doing this for a while...
Actually there is no law against open carrying a rifle, but that doesn't mean the police won't tackle your ass, rip the gun off your back and have the media headline a new story "Hero cops wrestle a deranged killer armed with a fully automatic AR15 Bushmaster MP5 AK47 walking in the general direction of a school 5 miles down the road and passing out propaganda encouraging gun violence."

Then apologizing when they accidentally got some details wrong.

And you probably won't ever get that rifle back.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha lots of support here!! We shouldn't be AFRAID to exercise our constitutionally protected rights. That is how they gain control, when we start fearing the consequences that shouldn't even exist. I can understand a PO coming and inspecting the rifle to make sure its legal, but would hate to see it become a big deal.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
It says dear public servant, please stop helping me

Gesture Font Rectangle Art Logo

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
It's just a reality of the world we live in that the police aren't going to tell people don't call us if somebody is walking down the street with a gun. Maybe in rural areas people are used to it but certainly not in urban areas. What the police need to do is train their officers how to properly handle these calls.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
haha lots of support here!! We shouldn't be AFRAID to exercise our constitutionally protected rights. That is how they gain control, when we start fearing the consequences that shouldn't even exist. I can understand a PO coming and inspecting the rifle to make sure its legal, but would hate to see it become a big deal.
I'm not afraid to exercise my rights, I just feel that right now we may want to keep our guns out of the risk of being taken away, we may need them in the next few months, worse then ever.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'm not afraid to exercise my rights, I just feel that right now we may want to keep our guns out of the risk of being taken away, we may need them in the next few months, worse then ever.
If you can't want ANYWHERE in the US with a fully visage license, I have bad news about about "we need to keep our rights."

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I contacted two lawyers about parking at one end of Braodway in Saratoga, and walking to the non-arms fair that has banned Evil Black Rifles...on the far side of town.

Both said essentially the same thing. You are foolish if you do it. Don't stoke the fire, let it simmer down. They were both 2A friendly as far as i know...

Unspoken, but in my mind i could also hear them saying "Keep my number handy.... you are likely to need it. Oh, an make sure you have 10 Grand in the bank..."

I REALLY wanted to just walk up and down the main drag with my riffle, but i have no doubt there would be trouble in it... and even being charged with a felony could ruin my job right now...

Which gets back to the people claiming that LEOs won't confiscate... some will, some won't. LEOs with little kids and a stay at home wife and a mortgage payment... they are more likely to follow orders...

If they come for my rifle, i will tell them i only take cash, or *discrete* paypal + 4%. :)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lets say we all strapped an AR, AK, Mini-14, etc. To our backs, and walked around everywhere, all the time.> Then lets say we got our friends to do it, and their friends to do it. Complying with the law of course. How long do you think PD's would continue to respond to these "armed man" calls?

You don't need 10 Grand in the bank because even if they DO arrest you, you will be released. What are they going to charge you with? Nothing? If they do, I'd say you have a decent wrongful arrest suit on your hands. (supposing you did nothing else to warrant arrest)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
This approach does nothing to comfort the people who aren't gun owners. In fact, it probably creates a lot of anti-gun sentiment.
Not my job to comfort idiots.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
From someone who has stupidly done something similar, there is a catch all law called disorderly conduct that they will charge you with after letting you sit for a few hours. Then after many many court dates will "acd".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.