New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been shooting for about 17 years, i have been trained by the Marine corps CQB team and untill recently i could hit anything i aimed at, but lately im having a problem with my mechanics. do things like this just happen? how do you get over this hump, is it mental? the last few times ive gone to the range(1x with a 9mm and 1x with a revolver) ive been off. my breathing is undercontrol, my trigger squeez is on point my sight alignement is on like ive been doing for years but for some reason im shooting low and right. ive tried changing my grip and my stance but the same resault. im thinking maybe im closing one eye and tilting my head, sometimes i shoot with both eyes open. my grouping is very consistant with both guns im stumped ???? anyone have any advise or think they can diagnose my problem by what ive described. i know this is a shot in the dark as you cannot see what im doing wrong to help correct it but im basically just asking for advise so i can go to the range and try some new things out. Thanks Bryan

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Maybe your gripping to much. First try holding the pistol loose with your firing hand and use your support hand only to clamp done hard on the pistol. Make sure your thumb on your firing hand is loose and relaxed. If you notice it not relaxed then your tightening your firing hand. Try that and see if that helps. You could be increasing your grip power while pulling trigger.

If that doesnt help then test your trigger squeeze. add the tiniest amount of extra pressure at a time. I mean pretend like people tell you that all the time and your so annoyed that you over exagerate the slowness of pressue increase on trigger lol.

Also have you let anyone else shoot them to verify its not you?

How lonmg has it been since you last shot? It is a perishable skill and I had to re learn it all when I got my permit. I hope that helps and you get it fixed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ thanks for the info "grip pressure" sounds about right. i know its not the guns its me all day, my wife shot the revolver and she had no problems with it at all. when i shoo both guns the revolver and the 9mm my shots with both guns are in the same spot and in a rel tight group. i go to the range almost weekly and its been happening the last few weeks or so. i just started doing this. im going to play around with my grip and if i can get squared away i think maybe i'll get a instructor to help me out and take a look at my mechanics and see if they cant help. again thanks for the info.

·
6,795 Posts
What I said above is what I focus on also when I start shooting not as well as I like lol. Are you anticipating also? Could have someone load a dummy round in your mag at a random point for you. Or another way to test/correct is hold your arms out in front of you and pretent your gripping a pistol. Have your wife repeatedly hit your hands to simulate recoil. Then at a random time have her instead of hitting your hands to go under them and not make contact with you. If you are anticipating you will see your hands drop.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds like a good way to test that theory lol getting the wife on board on the other hand is harder then diagnosing my problem with my firearm grip lol !!! thanks again for the info, cheers,

semper fi

·
6,795 Posts
lol not a problem, you mean your wife wont jump at the chance to hit you lol? If I didnt make it clear you dont hold a pistol you just make your firing hand a fist and wrap your support hand around it.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm with USMCVet. Just bring it back to basics, don't jerk the trigger, make sure it's almost a surprise every time. Maybe change your loads to something you wouldn't normally use for a couple range trips, then try and re-zero everything with whatever you normally shoot?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info guys i went to the range with a small cal. hand gun .22 today figured that way i wouldnt anticipate the recoil and mentally i wouldnt have to worrie about the grip and it helped a ton, still not exactly where i want to be yet but 10x better then i where i was yesterday. i guess using the .357 mag lately i developed som bad habbits. thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts