New York Firearms Forum banner

MDTS Practical Pistol 1 class review

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  thecelt 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally had the opportunity to take a class with MDTS and I was highly impressed with how Chris Fry ran his class. The long and the short of it is that the class was structured in such a way that we got a ton of shooting time (I ran through about 350 rounds), good verbal lessons/overviews and personal attention. The morning briefing lasted about an hour, and it went very fast.

The day started off with an overview on the mindset it takes to be ready to defend yourself in the unfortunate case that something bad was going to happen to you. It covered what you need to do to be personally prepared, the legal aspect of it, and after action assessment. He was open to any questions, and even invited them. He engaged the class directly to keep us interested and active which is a great teaching method.

After that we went over the 4 main safety rules, and general safety. We then loaded up and got on the range. We got out there and he would explain the drill we were going to do, then he demonstrated it and made sure everyone was comfortable. We then ran the drills.

Its really tough to fully explain the benfits of this class, and how well it was taught. The best way I can describe how good it was is that we got to touch on many different aspects of shooting such as precision, speed, reloads, shooting with strong hand, support hand, malfunction drills, shooting with non dominant eye, drawing from the holster both open and concealed, and use of cover/concealment. We spent enough time on each of these techniques that everyone had a chance to test their own limits and try to improve on them, and also build a foundation of knowledge to practice on our own.

The reality is that he could spend days, if not weeks working on each of these things individually, but he managed the time in such a way that we got to touch on all of these without feeling cut short on any particular drills. Between drills there would be explanations of the drills as well as constant reminders regarding the fundamentals of mindset. I want to thank Chris for the great experience, and Im really looking forward to many more classes and years of training with MDTS.

- MDTS

See less See more
#6 ·
This class is great for beginners and experienced shooters. The thing about shooting, self defense, etc.. is that there is always something to learn, or something you can be doing better. I think new shooters would get a tremendous benefit to taking this class as you can learn a better way to do things before learning bad habits that you now have to break.

Just as I think every responsible gun owner should read and understand article 35, I think every responsible gun owner should look into taking a class like this. besides being very informational, and getting some great practicing/training, it was a hell of a lot of fun!

#4 ·
I was at the same class and agree 100% with Celt's assessment. Awesome class. Everyone that carries a gun should attend it. This was my second time taking PP1 and I have taken several other classes with Chris before. Awesome instructor and great guy. Learn something new everytime I attend one of his classes.

It was great seeing and talking with Celt too.

#7 ·
you know it brother!

#8 ·
Chris puts on an outstanding class, doesn't he? We took it a few weeks ago. You come away with lots of training ideas you can take and practice later. Best bang for the buck as far as training IMO.

#9 ·
Thanks for posting. I am so looking forward to taking this class at the end of the month. I did a week at Front Sight last year with my best friend, but am looking forward to something a bit more local. Hoping I might even be able to get Pistol 2 in later this summer too.

#10 ·
Im doing pistol 2 in sept.... i cant wait... then 3, then lowlight, then precision/ speed..... then shotgun, then carbine..... hell, i have the next 5 years planned out. I figure 2 courses a year is pretty reasonable.

#15 ·
As cg stated, we took this class in New Paltz. It was just about an hour ride or a little under for me. Im sure PP1 will be offered there again next year. Its well worth it, even if you wanted to drove to one of the Long Island classes... I cant wait for PP2 in Sept.

#18 ·
You could even consider taking a shotgun or carbine class. I plan to, although I first want to go through all the pistol classes, then Ill do shotgun, etc...

#20 ·
Im glad you enjoyed the class, Im looking forward to taking many more... although, Im not a fan of anything being mandatory when it comes to a Constitutional right...

its not like its mandatory to take a religion class before practicing your religion of choice. now granted, carrying a firearm in public is a big responsibility, and if someone is reckless it can put others in harms way... I get that completely, and thats why I think there should be incentivized training for CCW holders.

not to turn this review into a political discussion, but since you brought it up I will address it; since the gov is so concerned with saving lives at the cost of law abiding gun owners RIGHTS then they should cover the bill for any and all firearms training. You take a class, then submit the bill with your taxes and get reimbursed (up to a certain number of hours). Taking classes should also lower your home owners insurance, etc...

there are plenty of ways to encourage law abiding citizens to get proper training without MANDATING something on a Constitutionally protected right. There should be government sponsored training programs as well. trainers should receive government grants, and also receive major tax credits for this type of work as it encourages firearm safety. part of the 2a states "A well regulated Militia" which means sufficiently armed and trained... so, why isnt our government offering free firearms training and proficiency classes for us?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.