Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this email:

Grassroots Weed Out Cuomo with Moneybomb
Posted on August 12, 2013 by Admin

The NY2A Grassroots Coalition issued the following press release today:

NY2A, Cuomo, Steve McLaughlin, NY SAFE Act

ALBANY - New Yorkers from across the state and across the political spectrum opened their wallets Saturday for a man they know to be fearless and principled; plain-spoken and driven. That man is Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin.

A moneybomb for McLaughlin was not only a symbolic start for a dynamic grassroots effort to oust Gov. Andrew Cuomo. It also provides real assistance for McLaughlin to perform his due diligence as he ponders entry into the 2014 governor's race. The assemblyman from Rensselaer County is a relentless champion for liberty and has been racking up the mileage as he travels throughout New York to garner support for an underdog candidacy.

The moneybomb, which was not directly affiliated with McLaughlin, drew in donations from everyday Democrats, Republicans and independents at a time when New Yorkers are reeling from a struggling economy strangled by a criminally negligent state government. Some donors doubled and tripled their original pledged amounts as preliminary results showed more than $24,000 was raised. That amount is sure to grow as final figures become available.

Although Cuomo has the luxury of cavorting with New York City elitists who dine at $10,000-a-plate fundraisers, every dollar given to McLaughlin on Saturday equates to $1,000 or more in sweat equity from the grassroots. The people of New York are fed up with the criminal syndicate running Albany and will work through rain, wind and snow to ensure McLaughlin is the next governor of New York.

Cuomo's minions are maintaining shadow campaign funds; micro-managing photo ops across the state; providing canned quotes to political allies; and plotting a course-correction to the center. But the successful launch of this campaign trumps all of that agitprop. We will not be fooled by the man who gave us the unconstitutional SAFE Act and whose career is steeped in corruption. The people of New York are taking their state back.

"We thank all of the great New Yorkers and others from around the country who donated to this effort. It is the beginning of the end of Cuomo's reign and we look forward to the inauguration of Steve McLaughlin as the next governor of New York State," said moneybomb creator Hector Miranda of Poughkeepsie.

All funds raised went directly to McLaughlin's campaign account.

NY2A Grassroots Coalition includes more than two dozen local, regional and state groups that are working toward defeating the SAFE Act. Find us on the web at www.ny2a.org.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the goal was $50K, for this site, but so far I've seen two others sites for the same moneybomb, so I don't know if it includes those donations.
I think its a good showing of private, non-corporate donations.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Another issue is it wasn't a separate fund for gov. It went to his assembly fund. I donated because I want him as governor but its hard to donate to a what if. For me its $50 I really didn't have on a "what if" scenario. Once he runs I think support may grow. I'll donate more if he does but for now I'm not funding his assembly funds anymore... Steve if you're reading this you have mine my wife's and at least 10 others votes, no campaign, no ads needed... done deal. No amount of money can sway my vote

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Gun owners are really cheap, most gun owners will not even spend a few bucks to join the NRA.
i think this has more to do with not being informed. many gun owners probably dont even use the internet so access to information is limited by what the liberal owned and controlled MSM provides (which is guns are bad so gun owners should stay in hiding). considering there are a bit over 4 million members of the NRA and roughly 100 million gun owners in this country that just goes to show that many are not aware of how at risk our rights are. this is why we need to do our part to spread the word at gun ranges, gun shops, walmart, any chance you get. many older timers, and "fudds" (not to be construed as a derogatory term, but as someone who is out of touch with society and is an avid hunter and gun owner) dont have a clue to what is going on, and they dont realize that all firearms and private gun ownership is under attack. we need to inform them, and we need to unify the gun community so that we can be heard, and so we can take back the rights that have been illegally stolen from us!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would never "donate" money to a candidate who has not officially announced his candidacy. What happens to all that cash if he decides not to run? Make up you mind and then ash for donations. He could accomplish the same thing by getting out and talking to people.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
the idea behind this was to let him know that there is support behind him to actually run. right now he is undecided because its an uphill battle for him in NY, and this was meant as encouragement. we NEED Steve, or someone like him to fight for us because the progressives are stripping our rights away while they are getting rich, if we just sit around and wait for someone to stand up for our rights it may never happen. this is why we are in the position we are in currently. we need to be proactive in recruiting people to run for office that actually do have our best interests in mind.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I would never "donate" money to a candidate who has not officially announced his candidacy. What happens to all that cash if he decides not to run? Make up you mind and then ash for donations. He could accomplish the same thing by getting out and talking to people.
it goes in his general campaign fund, and he is fighting for peoples rights in upstate NY in the Assembly. no matter what these funds are going to a good person with a good cause. even if he doesnt run for governor we need more people like him in the assembly to fight off the progressives as he has been doing. it really kills me to hear this type of mentality out of people because this is what got us in this damn mess to start with!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
This fundraiser was not created nor organized by McLaughlin. It was an independent moneybomb from the NY2A Grassroots Coalition. It was more of an effort to show him support and hope that he'll run for Gov. I put in $50.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This fundraiser was not created nor organized by McLaughlin. It was an independent moneybomb from the NY2A Grassroots Coalition. It was more of an effort to show him support and hope that he'll run for Gov. I put in $50.
That's even more disturbing. Like I said. Who gets the money if he decides NOT to run? Did you get a receipt that states your money is refunded if he doesn't run? Sounds like someone at NY2A has found a way to make some extra cash.

·
Registered
651 Posts
it goes in his general campaign fund, and he is fighting for peoples rights in upstate NY in the Assembly. no matter what these funds are going to a good person with a good cause. even if he doesnt run for governor we need more people like him in the assembly to fight off the progressives as he has been doing. it really kills me to hear this type of mentality out of people because this is what got us in this damn mess to start with!
What mentality? The stupidity of donating money blindly? What got us in this mess in the first place is lazy people sitting at home because of voter apathy. Too many people in this state believe it doesn't matter if they vote or not, the libs will win anyway, so they stay home and then complain when the crap hits the fan.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
The mentality of sitting around and hoping that a candidate who will actually stand up for the Second Amendment, and the people will pop out of thin air. The donations were clearly stated to be going to his general campaign fund so its not for him to buy a new car with, it will be used for campaigns, and hopefully a gubernatorial campaign at that. he is the only hope this state has right now as a very strong pro2a candidate, and he has not yet committed. these donations are not wasted money because no matter what it will help keep him in his current office, but hopefully it will encourage him to run for governor because he will have gotten the message that we are behind him.

and your right about voter apathy being a huge part of it. but if we dont have someone good to vote for then what good does being an informed voter do you when you dont have a pro2a candidate. lets encourage him to run because he WILL do the right thing by the people.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
That's even more disturbing. Like I said. Who gets the money if he decides NOT to run? Did you get a receipt that states your money is refunded if he doesn't run? Sounds like someone at NY2A has found a way to make some extra cash.
if you took the time to read the NY2a grassroots information about this you would already know where the money is going and the intent behind it. but instead you are looking to criticize the efforts, perhaps to make yourself feel better about not participating...

·
Registered
651 Posts
if you took the time to read the NY2a grassroots information about this you would already know where the money is going and the intent behind it. but instead you are looking to criticize the efforts, perhaps to make yourself feel better about not participating...
He doesn't represent my district. Why would I donate money to some outside organization for a man who is un-committed about running for a state wide political office? If he doesn't run my money still goes to his campaign. I'll give my money to my local representatives first. He needs to make up his mind before I give him money. Plain and simple. As far as the remark about me not participating. You have no clue who I am. You have no idea how I participate in politics in my area. How do you know I don't belong to a local political group. You have no idea if I have done my research on him. I would be skeptical of any group that asks for donations to help fund a candidacy that hasn't even been announced.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
i dont know you, you are right that is why i said "perhaps" because it makes no sense why you dont get the logic behind trying to encourage someone who is a benefit to the gun community to run for office. and even if he isnt in your district, or mine for that matter, he does have an influence on laws passed in this state so its to OUR benefit for him to be in office whether in our district or not.

and i am not criticizing or insulting anyone who didnt participate because its a DONATION. you on the other hand have called it stupid, and questioned where the money is going which clearly shows you havent done any research on this matter because its been stated many times where the money was going, and for what purpose.

my point about all of this is, that he is a representative in NY state and he votes on laws that effect every new yorker so to donate money to him is a benefit to us regardless. the intention of this whole thing was to encourage him to run so he gets a warm fuzzy feeling about how many new yorkers are behind him. running for governor is a lot of work and takes a lot of money and time. if we want to encourage him to run he has to believe he has a chance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.