New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I say! For those who may not know, it has taken me almost exactly 2 years to get my pistol permit. I purchased a S&W 638 on 07/27/2012 and just brought it home last Tuesday. I was so nervous about taking it to the range because I've never fired a pistol before and I have read MANY reviews stating snubby's are horrible and have the worst recoil. I actually was considering not shooting it and trying to sell it to by a semi. But After waiting so long for the permit, I didn't want any issues to update my new permit or dealing with an FFL. so, I went to Master Class. (I've been there before with my 10/22 rifle). Anyway, I walked in and explained to Adam I'm a new shooter. He called Jim over and wow. what can I say! Jim gave me an overview of the most important parts of firing a pistol (trigger control & sight alignment) and of course safety. Then, he took me into the range, showed me his humongous revolver, allowed me to shoot it. He then stayed with me while I loaded and reloaded my pistol. He was extremely courteous, patient, helpful, I can not come up with enough positive adjectives to describe my experience at Master Class and with Jim and Adam!!!!! They will ALWAYS have a customer!!! It was amazing!! I didn't feel the recoil at all and I'm glad I didn't try to sell it! I love it!!!! I shot the pistol at 10 yds ( my first time) and the rifle at 20 yds for 10 rds & 25 yds for 10 rds. Anyway, I had an amazing time!!!!!!!!!! Handwriting Font Circle Electric blue Stain Handwriting Font Circle Ink Slope Recreation Circle Sports Wheel Precision sports Circle Recreation Composite material Science Precision sports

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I agree with you 100% Master class is the best. I wish it was where Davis is and Davis was where MC is so MC could be closer to me. Jim is the man. He loves what he does :cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you 100% Master class is the best. I wish it was where Davis is and Davis was where MC is so MC could be closer to me. Jim is the man. He loves what he does :cool:
. I could not agree more!! Jim shot his revolver UPSIDE DOWN with his pinky finger to prove sight alignment & trigger control!!! it was dead center on the target!!!!!!!!! I just covered my mouth and gasped in shock! What a great experience!!!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Nice to hear you had such a good experience the first time out. It sound like Master Class is a well run range. I will have to take a ride up in the near future to check it out.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I always heard good things about MC and need to go there soon. Heard he has a decent inventory of Dillon equipment and is happy to answer reloading questions too...

Nice shooting BTW.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I can't say enough good things about Master Class, I have been there several times when a new shooter comes in and let's them know they are new to hand guns and they walk a person thru the firearm and into the range to safely shoot it the first time. Glad you had a good time. Jim at master class taught me allot on how to properly shoot, The first time shooter who are lucky enough to work with Jim will end up years ahead of the folks learning on there own . The education you will get from Jim is Priceless. My son has been shooting there since he was 14 under the guidance of the Late Dennis Serpe , Jim, Big Mike, Ritchie. the educations and skills they gave him as a new shooter put my son years ahead of me when I practicing all of my bad habits that I learned on my own in the beginning .

And Yes that is some good shooting you did there

Enjoy your new fire arm, Get ready to purchase your next fire arm (Glock G17) get your range time in and hope to see you at the range some time

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I always heard good things about MC and need to go there soon. Heard he has a decent inventory of Dillon equipment and is happy to answer reloading questions too...

Nice shooting BTW.
I purchased my 650 Dillon there , they set it up on the bench. I sat down and was taught how to reload on my machine at there bench. I walked away with the skills needed to run my machine safely , you just can't get this kind of service any place any more.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
. I could not agree more!! Jim shot his revolver UPSIDE DOWN with his pinky finger to prove sight alignment & trigger control!!! it was dead center on the target!!!!!!!!! I just covered my mouth and gasped in shock! What a great experience!!!
You should see him use a mirror shooting over his shoulder. Jim, Adam, Mike….great guys. They are really low on Dillon at the moment, but have some items.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Here's the thing about MC. They let you just shoot. They don't harass you when you are on the line. Sorry if anyone works at or frequents Davis but my next few statements are simply truth from my few visits there. At Davis it felt like the range officer was constantly hovering over me and questioning every little thing I did. It felt like I really couldn't concentrate on shooting. There is a 5 round limit on ALL firearms. How can one train effectively without sometimes shooting at full capacity? There is also no rapid fire. When preband mags were still legal and I still possessed some *cough*, I was able to shoot off 15 rounds out of my glock as fast as my finger would go. And I know some will say there is no reason to shoot rapid fire but that's wrong. It's good to train for a self defense scenario and see shot placement. Your hour is also closely monitored. They are somewhat of time Nazis there. The range officer will let you know several times towards the end that your time is almost up. I found that unnecessary considering there was no on else in the other lanes. At MC if you go over your time a little it's no big deal. And lastly there is no steel case ammo. I understand the steel core rounds could be a problem (possibly) but bi-metal jackets like found on wolf, tula, golden tiger etc won't do anymore damage than copper jackets.

So I would say Davis is good for sighting in a rifle since it's a rifle range and an added bonus is the targets are controlled digitally for precise distances. For everything else I recommend Master Class hands down

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
For rifle, Davis is a bonus with it being 100 yards. But for pistol, they don't let you put the target closer than 10 yards I believe. And for rifle, you have to sit down and shoot from a bench. Other ranges have elevated shelf platforms that allow you to stand when shooting and support you in that manner.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just got back from visiting at Master class. I always try to stop by and see what's happening, even though I don't shoot there regularly.
Adam, Jim and the crew are doing a great job Running the Range/Store after Dennis passed and the SAFE act BS took effect.
Good shooting too.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I just got back from there a few hours ago myself. A full house today. 300 rounds of un-harassed shooting with my new 1911.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I shoot and Davis two or three times monthly. I've shot at Masterclass, the range is inferior for shooting rifles. It"s a good place to shoot pistols and shotguns. The range officers at Davis do not and have never harassed me. Indeed, they have been helpful on many occasions. Most of the time they just let me shoot. When I'm alone, he often never leaves his booth. I know they watch unfamiliar shooters. I know they are quick to correct poor behavior. They are serious about safety. I appreciate that.

People who are too casual about shot placement can do a lot of damage to the target carriers. A 100 yard indoor range designed for high-power centerfire rifles needs needs to be managed differently than a 25 yards range designed for handguns.

Anyhow, that's my perspective. I have observed that older shooters get more slack at Davis than younger shooters.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like MC, have been going there almost week since getting my permit. I like the staff. Usually not to busy when I go on Thursdays.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I was harassed at Davis when I first shot there. It wasn't until after 3 times of being there and talking to the RO of my service in the Marines and National Guard that they left me alone. I only go there in the winter if I feel like shooting my rifle. Every other time you will find me at Master Class for pistol or Wooster Mountain for both rifle and pistol in the Summer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts