New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few days ago I put up my range review of the Marlin 795 .22. I love the thing and decided to finally do a video on it. I'm posting it here for anyone who may be interested, but any feedback, positive or negative would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've got two here. One with iron sights and one with a BSA Sweet 22 scope on it. Had them for a few months and finally got to use them this weekend. A couple if FTF's but I lubed it a little and continued to run it and it cleared up. Must have needed some break-in time. Marlin is doing a rebate on them until sometime in September.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I didn't know they were still doing it!

I knew a guy back in a Sports Authority I used to go to and walked out the door for about $80. Wish I had bought two haha

Although even now, I think they usually go for aroun $160-170, and with a rebate, the thing is dirt cheap. Yeah, I had a few malfunctions at the beginning, but after a few rounds through the gun and using mostly Federal Bulk and CCI Mini Mags, I've never had issues with malfunctions...

Except in the video... Murphy's Law... haha

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have one woyh tech sights. It's a tack driver. I am planning on adding the aftermarket trigger, and aluminum trigger guard.

I epoxied a steel bar into the handguard to stiffen the stock. I use a sling, and don't like the flex. I also filled the buttstock with expansion foam.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting the DIP trigger. If thing's going to get much more accurate, I think that'll be the mod to do it.

I'm not feeling the DI Products charging handle, though. I remember seeing a cool one that you actually put OVER the original, and it was like drilled out aluminum, but I don't see it anywhere. I was wondering if you knew of any others?

Here's the thing I was talking about. They also say on that thread (oversize charging handle Marlin 60 / 70 / 795 oversize bolt handle) that a .45 acp casing can be pushed on as well. I may just try that for fun, since I think I do have a few random .45 shells lying around.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Great video by the way. I'm looking forward to getting to an actual range with mine and dialing it in. So far I just shot steel for fun. If you shop around and wait for a good opportunity you can score a deal. I got one for my son and one for myself. Gander had them at $159 as the regular price then i used a $20 off any firearm coupon to knock it down to $139. My dad got himself one there for $159 then a 15% off coupon on top of it so he ended up at like $134. He takes my nephew, my sister, and some of her friends to the range by his house and they have a blast for very little money. It's a perfect way to introduce younger kids to the sport.

Oh, and Dick's has Federal Auto Match 325 packs on sale right now. Buy one get one half price (limit of 4 boxes).

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Out of the box a New Haven made 795 will easily out shoot a base model 10/22. When Remington took over they dropped in quality but that was a few years ago.

Thanks for the feedback, and also for the information. I'll definitely try to snag some automatch. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I believe my 795 is a New Haven. As far as I know, the old Marlin employees actually damaged the tooling and "Remlin" continued to use the damaged tooling and was putting out practically broken guns for a long time. But as far as I know, that's all been fixed. Glad to know I got a proper 795 at the time.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah, I believe my 795 is a New Haven. As far as I know, the old Marlin employees actually damaged the tooling and "Remlin" continued to use the damaged tooling and was putting out practically broken guns for a long time. But as far as I know, that's all been fixed. Glad to know I got a proper 795 at the time.
It should say on the barrel I believe. I think that the production of those moved from New Haven to Mayfield, but that may have been before Freedom bought Marlin. I believe production is moving out of Mayfield and they are going to shut the plant entirely and move production to the new facility in Huntsville, along with some lines from Ilion and maybe other places as well. The whole "Remlin" QC story was popular, but I think it may have been an issue with the Mayfield plant more than any other thing.

If you want a much improved trigger it is as simple as replacing the trigger return spring with a lighter spring. The mod is pretty simple and a spring from an old 3.5" floppy disk can be used to get the pull down to the 4lb range or so. To get lighter than that you have to disassemble the FCG which is kind of a PITA - not because it is difficult, but because the assembly is held together with e-ring circlips that are easy to lose.

I found that raising the comb with a kydex riser makes the gun much easier to shoot especially in prone position. With a scope with even slightly raised rings you could probably set your chin on the factory comb while looking at the crosshairs.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
FYI, of anyone needs to disassemble or rebuild the action, I have a good powerpoint/pdf on the matter. The action is idential to the Marlin 60, which I rebuilt a few years back from a literal pile of parts.... Mostly held together with eclips, which I have over 100 count, they are super cheap from mcmastercarr. If anyone needs some of those I would give a bunch away for a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm... Is the installation of the new spring a complicated job? How much disassembly is required? I believe I do have a few floppy's lying around, so that could probably be a cool little mod for basically no cost at all...

With people doing the floppy disk mod, have you heard of any issues with the trigger, ie unexpected discharges and so on? I believe this could be a problem if you go too light, correct? I've never done any trigger jobs/mods myself, so I do want to be as safe as possible if I can help it. :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found this video by FogCityTactical doing this mod. It seems to have reduced the trigger a half a pound. Previously he messed with the sear spring and went from 5 pounds to 4.5. The floppy disk spring put him down to 4. I'm about to watch his video on cutting the hammer spring, but I guess that'll require a lot of disassembly... Still seems worth it to me, though, so I may do the floppy spring at the minumum.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
With people doing the floppy disk mod, have you heard of any issues with the trigger, ie unexpected discharges and so on? I believe this could be a problem if you go too light, correct? I've never done any trigger jobs/mods myself, so I do want to be as safe as possible if I can help it. :p
If you just alter the trigger return spring I think there would be no issues. You could probably remove it completely and the gun would function other than having to manually reset the trigger after each shot.

The other place to alter the pull is on the sear spring. You could definitely cause problems with function that way. Slamfires, out of battery or even unexpected discharge could be possible I think.

I have never touched the hammer spring on mine - I do not think that gives you much improvement in most guns and it is easy to screw up reliability with light strikes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bought a Remington made one this year. I actually really like it. About 1,000 rounds through it and one malfunction which I believe was ammo.

Really like it with my Weaver V3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts