New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats that plastic piece at the back of the receiver? I looked it up on a parts diagram and it said "buffer". The reason I ask is, last winter I was cleaning it, noticed that piece was broke,seemed superfluous and threw it out (yeah Im one of those types). Now I want to take it shooting. Function check was good. Any problems without that part? Also, damn that has a ****ty trigger pull.

ETA. When I say "buffer", well thats what I think it looked like.

E

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
It keeps the bolt from banging into the back of the receiver. When you buy it, get 2 and save the shipping next time.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If I remember correctly, that buffer is held in by a pin that just gets punched out. I hope you didn't try to take the action apart....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
hahahaa. I wish, had to take the action apart. Got it back together. With the help of youtube it wasn't that difficult. Now It won't eject.

ETA Fixed had to tweak the spring

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have taken my Marlin 60 action completely down to parts. If you need help with reassembly I have a couple of guide documents that I can send.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The high velocity ammo ruins the buffers, I seen that on the Rim Fire Central forum.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
One last thing. If you break any e-clips on the action you can get them very cheaply from mcmaster car. They are like $8 for 50 with shipping. Numerich charges $2 per clip.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Whats that plastic piece at the back of the receiver? I looked it up on a parts diagram and it said "buffer". The reason I ask is, last winter I was cleaning it, noticed that piece was broke,seemed superfluous and threw it out (yeah Im one of those types). Now I want to take it shooting. Function check was good. Any problems without that part? Also, damn that has a ****ty trigger pull.

ETA. When I say "buffer", well thats what I think it looked like.

E
Those buffers become brittle over time whether shot or not. I've a few model 60's here and I also have extra buffers for them. The e clips are easily found here and there and I've even found them at hardware stores. There are two style actions. The new style and the old style. The new style comes apart very easily ... the old style just takes alittle more patience and time. Both work the same. Now ... for the trigger ... clean clean clean and then ... clean some more!!!!! Especially if you're shooting ANY Remington ammo. None of my Model 60's will run more than 8 shots with Remington ammo before the action fails to work due to the amount of crap left behind in the entire action and trigger mechanism. You'll become a pro at removing and replacing the trigger assembly for cleaning if using any Remington ammo. I don't use it and won't even take it if someone offered it to me for free. It's just not worth the hassle. I have done my own polishing of a few parts to lower and smooth the trigger pull. Also, one thing to note is, the old style does not like flat nosed ammo. It wasn't designed for it and the new flatnose ammo is longer than a round nosed bullet so it may have fits when loading newer ammo. I have this down to a science since my favorite .22 of all time has been the Marlin 60. I've had many variations and continue to look for more when I can afford it. :) Get that buffer replaced and if you're one that is more visual, then merely look up a video on YouTube because there are ALOT of good videos that go very in depth with tearing down and reassembling a model 60. Good luck to ya. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll have to check my buffer. What are the symptoms if a broken buffer?

I got a model 60 from a friend, and he said it hasn't been shot in 10 years. Said it should be ready to go, but I think I'll check this piece before I shoot it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'll have to check my buffer. What are the symptoms if a broken buffer?

I got a model 60 from a friend, and he said it hasn't been shot in 10 years. Said it should be ready to go, but I think I'll check this piece before I shoot it.
Field strip. If the buffer is in one piece you are looking good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Field strip. If the buffer is in one piece you are looking good.
The buffer could be in 1 piece but that does not mean its good. It could still be old and died out. Then he fires it a few times and it self destructs and now you have a mess on your hands and possible broken parts. Just replace the buffer for a few bucks then go shoot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts