New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to check and still see if anyone could tell me what to file down 2 make it a lighter trigger pull? My gun is a marlin .22 mag model 925M microgroove barrel. I also borrowed a caliber to check and make sure i do it correctly and even. I'm just planning on filing it down a little and put it back together, shoot it a few times and do that over and over till it gets lighter but not to light. And make sure i do it correctly and not to much and screw up the gun.

I get my new BSA 6-24x40 delivered today. as long as my guns still accurate from those shells messing it up, and having to send it to marlin to get chamber work and a they changed some stuff on it and gave me a clip and also a new manual. it sucks i had to wait for the gunshop to send it back to them. But for $20 shipping it to them and all the stuff they changed, and a new clip, You cant go wrong with buying a marlin, its really tight ejecting shells again, just like brand new. That just proves that they'll do what they can. so after i shoot and and make sure its still accurate. I want to make the trigger pull lighter on it. If not ill get ahold of winchester and check there ammo recalls, cause i had some shell casing cracked on me shooting so they wouldn't eject
Thank you

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Sounds like a job for a gunsmith. If you start filing parts you may end up with a dangerous situation such as full auto fire you can not stop.

But seeing this is bolt action that won't happen but I still wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a bolt action. talked 2 a gunsmith a year ago and i was told it'll cost $80-$100 to do it. I can get a new trigger assembly for that. Thats why ill do it a little bit and put it back together over and over again. till it gets lighter but still tight. im not gonna get it down to 1lb or 1.5. i still want to feel the trigger and the break in it

·
Registered
859 Posts
Dont file it.

If your just going to try and smooth it try emery paper to just polish the sear up a bit so it breaks smoother.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure how far people need to take it down. but i was gonna finish it with my small sharpening stone made for finishing knives. i love that thing. it makes the blade so smooth and shiney. but barely takes anything off it at all, just finishes the blade really sharp. takes a while cause thats all i use when they start getting dull

·
Registered
356 Posts
What smith did you talk to ?? you live in wayne county. There are alot of guys around here that do this type of work. And you shouldn't really remove any material ... just stone it smooth and possibly change or shorten springs... I would be VERY hesitant to remove material from a sear engagement surface. Just my .02

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talked to weedsports gunsmith when i took my .22 mag out there to get it fixed. Someone on the first firearms forum I ever joined was gonna tell me how to do it and give me easy directions and a breakdown to follow. but i asked about it before the ammo messed up my gun. So i havent had any reason to do it because i couldn't shoot it anyway. I sent him a message and a email, but whatever email he is using wont accept it and i havent got anything back yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just an update:
I love that scope, it's cheap and its clear and zooms up real good. It lined up pretty good. with the old bushnell u can keep 10 shots touching in a dime, maybe a few hanging out but it was good. Now its about a nickle-Quarter with 5 shots @50. That sunshade on it just makes it look awesome.
I just had one problem with it still, I forgot about it, just because i couldn't line it up before with that redhead i was getyting very frustrated. But when i go to load a shell, there getting stuck and wont go into the chamber until i push them down with my finger. I went thro a box of 50 trying to get that readhead scope sighted in. I went through about 14 shells today just to get really closely lined up just about 1cm high at 50yds. and just shooting cause i wanted to see how it groups. I'll get it out sometime and line it up at 100yds and see where it shooting beyond that and play with the turrets.
Should i talk to winchester and let them know whats goin on because of the ammo cracking? It already got sent to marlin for chamberwork, changed stuff, it was still getting stuck so they did more chamberwork. with a full clip they get stuck hard and wont move, down to 3 they are still getting stuck but they'll go in. Idk if marlin can fix it because they didn't, or if they didn't fill up the clip shooting it, but only put a few in to make sure they eject. BTW im using the remington polymer tips. I like the old green tips better than the brownish tan color they make now. I don't want to be out hunting anything, expectially coyotes and try to stick my finger in there before i can shoot again, but i bet my friends would get a kick out of it. lol So i don't know what my best bet would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts