New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked this gun up and dont know much about it.Suppose to be a Mark V 300 weatherby magnum.Looking for DNZ mounts for it and only see mounts for non-magnums,any idea on what one to get?It does says 300 Weatherby Magnum on barrel,so does it mean its a magnum that takes magnum bullets?Comes with Leupold quick detach mounts,would use them but there High mounts,looking for low mounts and like I said preferably DNZ.

Non Magnum!

DNZ Products Game Reaper 1-Piece Scope Base 1tegral Rings Weatherby

Heres some of the action pics if that wil help.

· Registered
357 Posts
Thanks.im new to bolt actions as well!Wonder if these will work,says up to 240 magnums?

DNZ Products Weatherby Standard Receiver Right Hand Medium Mount 1" Tubes Black 12400
Won't fit.

Magnum in this case refers to the action length; the 240 Wby runs a shorter standard length action (length of the magazine box and bolt, other standards are 30.06 length rounds) There fore the screws taped into the reciver will be farther apart in your gun.

I run those Leupold QD's on a slug gun......they're OK, I'd just buy new rings. They repeat pretty well too when scope is remounted.

Ring choices;
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=Leupold++Quick-Release+rings

· Registered
357 Posts
Weatherby Mark 5 Rifles Mag Cals | Weatherby

If I was ging to make a change I'd be partial to the Talley lightweight on those pages.

You need to know scope choice for barrel diameter (1" or 30mm).......Scope objective diameter for how high.......and scope length, that'll tell you if you need an extended front base or not (how much room is on the actual scope length to mount).

I'm playing with a 300WBY in a different gun now. Fun round for a heavy 30 cal.

If you don't load; try a box of Weatherby branded ammo. Its hot loaded compared to most domestic stuff by Norma.......save the brass, worth a good buck.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weatherby Mark 5 Rifles Mag Cals | Weatherby

If I was ging to make a change I'd be partial to the Talley lightweight on those pages.

You need to know scope choice for barrel diameter (1" or 30mm).......Scope objective diameter for how high.......and scope length, that'll tell you if you need an extended front base or not (how much room is on the actual scope length to mount).

I'm playing with a 300WBY in a different gun now. Fun round for a heavy 30 cal.

If you don't load; try a box of Weatherby branded ammo. Its hot loaded compared to most domestic stuff by Norma.......save the brass, worth a good buck.
Since there is no DNZ to fit and it already has the quick release bases and after alot of searching I thing im going with just lower rings here!

Leupold 1 Quick-Release Rings Matte Low

And Midway is going to be my order,so this is the grain I found that looks Awesome.Would you go with this,any complaints you heard about it.If not I think you just helped me out alot!

Weatherby Ammo 300 Weatherby Mag 165 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip 20

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW I tested the scope (Leupold VX 2 1" diameter that did not come with the gun) and it is to high for my liking and lots of room left to go to/for the low rings.So I think the rings above will work great!

· Registered
357 Posts
In short on ammo.....

You'll have to see how they shoot for the gun for the weight and bullet type (a cartridge is the whole thing, a bullet is the projectile)

I have a good friend that like BT's from his 270 WBY; they do a hell of a lot of damage if you hit heavier bone on medium game, ie deer.

I happen to be playing with some TSX's in 180gr, as I'm intending this particular barrel for 500-800 lb game at upto 500 yds. (hand loads) Performance has been good for my rifle. I have another guy who's done well with Accubonds, trying them next.

That may or may not be true for your gun. Rifles tend to really do well with a particular ammo for best accuracy. Happens that the Weatherby branded ammo you will tend to find a good load as the quality for factory is real good and consistent, even over batches; and its loaded to the fuller potential of the rifles performance compared to say Remington Corelock's.

That high speed of lighter construction bullets can come at a cost; excessive barrel wear and throat erosion. But many folks just don't put enough rounds down range to have that show; especially true for a heavier caliber, harder kicking gun.

Learn to clean it proper........don't rapid fire it......and it will last for a good long time.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Believe me I clean my guns religously,as I do consider them money in the bank.Just some you might lose a lil and others you end up getting a lil extra.I will tell ya the worse money scheme in ammo is Hornady Super performance,that crap would not sight in with both our guns we tried,so it wasn't just a fluke!Waste of money and cant have that in this economy with shell prices these days.Just a warning if anyone was going to try it for hunting this year,we will never give them another penny on even there other brands/calibers (custom ETC).

I was going to use the 338 Lapua this year for hunting,but this being a lil more manageable/smaller in the tree stand im hoping this is a tack driver!And really want the extra power for the bucks here (they are tough especially the 2 year olds and up),thanks for the help and tips bustedhorn....

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I noticed this earlier after i bought this gun that a screw is missing on the trigger guard! I think its just another bolt that holds on the trigger guard.The guy before me added this custom stock and must be the second screw needed a bigger hole or something,so he figured one was holding great so he just skipped putting it on.In the pic theres an arrow showing only one screw and the ones that missing,so what would you do?Leave it as it is cause doesnt seem to really hurt anything,or get someone to fix it right?You cant even notice it isnt there cause you have to pop open the ammo mag to see it (Why I missed it),or try to get one in there myself if its easy to do.Anyone know if this a major problem that its not just a trigger guard holder?

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The empty trigger screw was nothing!The trigger guard should of been ground down a little and one screw put in.My local gunsmith skipped grinding as it did not need it,added a screw and sent me on my way.Heading to the range tomorrow to see how this shoots,added a Leupold VX 2 3X9 with Talley Lightweight 2-Piece Scope Mounts with Integral 1" Rings Weatherby Magnum Matte Low.No separate scope mounts needed with these and fit my gun like a dream.Headed to the range tomorrow to shoot my first 300 Weatherbty magnum,giving the deer hell this year!

I think this will be the future of all scope mounts some day,who wants to deal with mounts with every gun you buy???

Talley Lightweight 2-Piece Scope Mountstegral 1 Rings Weatherby Mag

· Registered
357 Posts
Good luck on the shooting.

I own several Talley products including rings; its good stuff; why I mentioned them originally as a change.

You end up with something you want quick detatch mounts to switch a scope or shoot open sights, Talleys' QD's are excellent. (ex. my 375 has 2 scopes, one for longer range work and one for close. They also act as each others back-ups when travelling in case of accident or issue with optics)

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck on the shooting.

I own several Talley products including rings; its good stuff; why I mentioned them originally as a change.

You end up with something you want quick detatch mounts to switch a scope or shoot open sights, Talleys' QD's are excellent. (ex. my 375 has 2 scopes, one for longer range work and one for close. They also act as each others back-ups when travelling in case of accident or issue with optics)
Exactly what my gunsmith said,there QR mounts are top-notch!But I just dont/wont trust them,what if your out in the woods and a stick hits the lever and loosens it up?Really liked my decision on these ones and for that price how can you go wrong!

· Registered
357 Posts
They don't lock on that way......it takes some effort to have them open. And you can "time" the levers to point in one direction if its that critical.

You'll find some of the finest customs built use those rings.

I hunt hard with my guns, maybe 30 days with the 375 in thick cover, and I'd trust them implicitly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.