New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun laws in New Jersey are dumb so I'm guessing this guy would be facing gun charges regardless. But if you live in an area where you're allowed to shoot near your house and your privacy is being violated by someone with a drone, would you be within your rights to shoot it down? At what point is a drone owner/controller breaking the law by violating your privacy?

New Jersey Man Arrested After Shooting Down Remote Control Drone « CBS Philly

Fun new questions we're facing in the 21st century.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
and this is a classic example of why you never speak to the police when they are questioning you about a possible crime. obviously, this guy must have admitted to shooting down the plane and was then arrested. if he said he didnt hear anything, there isnt much they can do about it.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I got my ass chewed by a drone owner on Facebook when I mentioned shooting one down that's invading my privacy. He claimed it was illegal. I have yet to see laws proving that.

If you take me down for shooting it down, I'm taking you down for filming me and intruding on my privacy. Your call.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder how long it will be before someone starts selling some sort of drone signal interrupter to deal with nosy drone operators.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I got my ass chewed by a drone owner on Facebook when I mentioned shooting one down that's invading my privacy. He claimed it was illegal. I have yet to see laws proving that.

If you take me down for shooting it down, I'm taking you down for filming me and intruding on my privacy. Your call.
in NY you can be filmed without your knowing so i do not believe that is illegal. im sure there will be some laws about drones in the not so distant future as the gov isnt going to want anyone except them flying around and filming everything.

the best advice is if you shoot it down make sure your not on a live feed. ;)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Fly your things in public, or on your land. Not mine.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about shooting down the drone with a paintball gun instead of a shotgun?

I guess I'm just determined to find a way to legally do some anti-aircraft shooting.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
How about shooting down the drone with a paintball gun instead of a shotgun?

I guess I'm just determined to find a way to legally do some anti-aircraft shooting.
if it damages the drone it could be criminal mischief .

i know some peoples deeds to their property used to have wording that said they owned from the center of the earth to the end of the atmosphere (or something like that), but im not sure what the legalities are of flying a drone over someone elses property. regardless of the legality people just need to be smart in how they deal with something like this in a rabidly anti gun state.

some sort of signal jammer that would cause it to crash would be nice though.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
if it damages the drone it could be criminal mischief .

i know some peoples deeds to their property used to have wording that said they owned from the center of the earth to the end of the atmosphere (or something like that), but im not sure what the legalities are of flying a drone over someone elses property. regardless of the legality people just need to be smart in how they deal with something like this in a rabidly anti gun state.

some sort of signal jammer that would cause it to crash would be nice though.
I think frequency jamming is illegal in most cases. And not all RCs stay on one frequency.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A while back I saw plans on the internet for a "bluetooth sniper rifle" that could grab bluetooth signals from a substantial distance with decent directional accuracy. I can understand how general area frequency jamming might be illegal, but perhaps a directional jammer could be created to target the drones. It might not be legal to sell as a product, but you never can tell what kind of fun plans show up on the interwebz.

Either way, I'm sure the average LEO would be thrilled to try to sort out a he said/she said dispute over why someone's drone happened to crash onto someone else's property. Especially when there are no obvious signs of foul play.

·
Registered
708 Posts

I believe what that drone operator was thinking probably goes along these lines.............

FAA is regulatory body re: drones. Therefore a voyeur's new toy is an "aircraft". And there are federal laws against shooting at aircraft, if I remember correctly. Ergo his conclusion that you can't shoot down his drone.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I was shooting clays and the drone just happened to fly right in line with the clay. Sprinkle a little crack I mean clay on the drone and case closed.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If your flying your "drone" and peeking in on your neighbors your a creepy douche bag and deserve to have your toy destroyed. Did a quick search on bing and seems to be a lot out there for drone jamming

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
There's other ways to accomplish the goal without a gun.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.