New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever make any? I want to make some to test feed function, but I'm not sure what I should do beyond seating a bullet in a case without powder or primer. Do I need anything in place of the primer?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Try 2/10ths C4, but make sure you have a real good cheek weld before firing off a round.
Wow, that is just cold! I think he wished ill will upon you!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Where can I get 2/10ths C4?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I've heard of people using nothing in place of the primer as well as caulk or rubber. I'd say just but some snap caps or something seems easier.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I've heard of people using nothing in place of the primer as well as caulk or rubber. I'd say just but some snap caps or something seems easier.
I recommend not removing the primer ... your firing pin will suffer if you dryfire without the spent primer...mark the round to identify it as a dud. Drill it, knurl it... or just use nickle. I use nickle cases for training testing ect. because I don't like loading it...It is harder than brass and it does not grip the chamber as well with hot loads. It can give you false pressure readings...it can easily scratch your dies if it is not clean. it does not like to be resized more than once...<split necks>......just my opinion.........carry on

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
for primer use a spent primer after re sizing the bullet. Since the bullet is going to be mangled many times fill it out with corn flour or something inert like that to A) Simulate the weight of a loaded round B) fill it out well so it helps support the bullet to prevent setback.
You want a nice firm crimp anyway since you are not going to fire it but also you can fill out with hot glue vs. the corn flour.
If you are going to dry fire find a little piece of hard rubber of the diameter of the primer and cut to fit so it will help support the tip. This has been done in shotshells dummies with pencil erasers but you can also use a leader hole puncher to put holes on the belts to cut a little stub from a piece of hard rubber, like a rubber mat or from an old bicycle tire or something. Even from a door stopper or chair leg cap.
go and get creative!

·
Registered
280 Posts
OK, I scrounge brass at the range. If I find any Berdan-primed cases I set them aside for dummy rounds. I take the deprimer pin out of my die, then size, expand, and seat a bullet normally. I leave the primer in. Case heads then get a swipe of red permanent marker for ID'ing them.
I've also been told to drill a hole in the side of the case as an extra safety measure.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
quit being a sissy and use live rounds!

serioulsy tho, drill a hole in the casing or paint the bullet to identify it as a dummy

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
quit being a sissy and use live rounds!

serioulsy tho, drill a hole in the casing or paint the bullet to identify it as a dummy
This. Mark them permanently so there is no confusion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts