New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was pretty nice out yesterday so I decided to make a steel target. The steel is about 7/16" thick. It's mild steel so it's not going to hold up to rifles. But I was wondering if anybodies had any luck with case hardening mild steel for targets. And if that held up or not against say 5.56.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Mild steel will never hold up to 5.56. Case hardening is only .030 or so deep. Steel targets need to be good steel and hardened through. Mild steel will not harden.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have carburized parts before in the furnace but it's a long process. I take activated charcoal and pour a bed of it down about 2-3" thick in the over, then lay the steel parts, then bury them in a layer a few inches thick. Heat them to about 1100F for a couple hours then remove and immediately cold quench them in water. I've never measure the true penetration of the case hardening, but they have stood up to 308 before. Takes a gas furnace to get this to work, no typical kitchen over will get it hot enough. You can use a rick acetylene flame and do portions of the steel if needed as well.

Just easier now for me to buy hardened plate and cut them out on the CNC plasma cutter. I don't make targets often these days as most people just buy them at stores or online.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mild steel will never hold up to 5.56. Case hardening is only .030 or so deep. Steel targets need to be good steel and hardened through. Mild steel will not harden.
That would have been my guess. I know it's thin, the actual hardened surface. Just thought it'd be a good topic. I won't lie I thought someone might of had success with 22cal though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a lot of work! Sounds expensive too. But I guess if you have the equipment and your doing a lot at one time. And your doing targets that no one else is making it might be worth it.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
If you're only looking for a couple these guys have decent stuff, from the reviews I have read. I will be buying a couple soon.
Steel Targets

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're only looking for a couple these guys have decent stuff, from the reviews I have read. I will be buying a couple soon.
Steel Targets
That's the way to go for sure if you have a place to shoot steel regularly. I'm making stuff up for a one day shoot 2 hrs from me at a friends. I'll probably just leave the left over morphed steel targets there. If I can acquire a piece of land (I hope) soon then I will definitely invest!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My dad's friend built some swinging targets out of 3/8" steel and 2 bells(like in boxing) when the plate would get hit it would swing and hit the bell.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad's friend built some swinging targets out of 3/8" steel and 2 bells(like in boxing) when the plate would get hit it would swing and hit the bell.
That would definitely give you an audible on every hit!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts