New York Firearms Forum banner

making muzzle brake NY AWB compliant

18K views 92 replies 19 participants last post by  Wood42 
#1 ·
I don't think this has been covered before but apologize in advance if it has. I understand from another member who I trust completely that a brake can be pinned but not welded and still be compliant. Makes sense in so far as once it's pinned, it would take aabout the same effort to remove it as if if it was pinned and welded. However, can anybody confirm this? Are there any regs or opinion letters that establish legal standards for this? As Regan used to say about the Soviets, "trust but verify"...

If it needs to be welded, can a small wire feed Arc welder do the job on Stainless steel or does it need to be TIG welded?

#3 ·
a brake can be pinned but not welded and still be compliant.
That was not true under the federal AWB. If you are going to use that as guidance (and there is no guarantee that NY will find federal AWB methods acceptable) then it would need to be blind pinned and welded, welded around the circumference or four equally spaced tack welds around the circumference. High temp (1200 degree??) solder was also acceptable.

I have never seen any guidance issued by any NY State nor any court cases testing that.

#4 ·
ok iv looked into this and this is pretty much the deal the law has nothing to do with the pinning it as to do with the fact tof the matter that their is usable threads under the break. u need to weld it on to the gun wich makes it part of the barrel thus covering the threads .pinned is unaceptable ,sry my spelling sux

#9 ·
I always ask the gunsmiths everywhere in NY and I know a few do not weld them. They are permanently attached though.
Even after welded if any excess is rebated and refinished, then there is no easy way to tell. And in terms of effectiveness of the welding or not they are the same. They key is that they have to be permanently attached.

#11 ·
Ballisticspro, I hear what you're saying and can agree with it to a point, but there are a whole lot of manufacturers out there selling ban compliant AR-15s with nothing more than a pin and weld on the brake. I'll side with the industry standard as far as that goes until such time that NYS comes out with clear and unambiguous guidance stating otherwise. Thanks for the post, though, I do appreciate it.

#14 ·
That is the feedback that I got from several gunsmiths. Again, permanently attached is permanently attached. There is no more permanent or less permanent. Any job can be reverted with a drill or a cutting tool but it might not come off by any regular / simple means.

#17 · (Edited)
Some LEO's have no clue about the law so they could arrest you on anything, a preban mag and PRS stock, etc...
Where is this written? links to the government official law please? Did you do any research on it? Did you contact a lawyer?
Because we put something out there categorically w/o any precedent even in other state and then folks start to believe that this is actually the law. But again if it is a law it has to be written somewhere.
Don't bother to find it. It is not there.
They can take your gun if they want. They can even arrest you but they are going to have a heck of a time finding a reason to keep the gun or charge you.

#18 ·
Ok what about dremeling the threads so they are not useable then just pinning it with no weld? The law says permanently attached and it is so vague and absent of any guidance really rendering meaningless. Look into void for vagueness doctorine and this fits it well IMO. Sure you could weld it but you can always cut the weld. I cant think of any true permanent way to attach a muzzle break that isnt reversible if you really wanted to besides destroying the threads. But again you could always cut threads onto a non threaded barrel if you wanted to. I mean really no matter what you do its not permanent.

What about JB weld? thats easy enough?

#24 ·
JB weld fails in extreme heat. Was not even an option in the preceding AWB ban. A nice spring pinning job right on the join will make it impossible to remove w/o major drilling or a radial saw. Forget about the threads no threads, people are making this up. Going into the threads actually makes the job worse (potentially the pin can fail if not deep enough) and also you are weakening the barrel in a point where is already weak whit just 1/2 threads that are a joke. Some people do it and it is a huge mistake. A few good gunsmiths do not even go there.

#21 ·
it was a state trooper acompined by atf doing a range check so yes im sure and the law states a barrel with threads that can acomadate a flash supressor and reg supressor so on so forth is illeagel i am just telling u what i was told by a state trooper acompinied by a atf agent and what iv been told by numerouse gun shops

#22 ·
LOL, as its been pointed out NYS has not defined what constitutes it being permanently attatched. Pining it attaches it just as well in regards to reverting it back to being without a break as welding it does. Since the law does not say it must be attached using atleast 2 methods then I dont see what the difference is because they can all be reversed no matter how you look at it lol. Even a barrel without thread can have them added lol. If you pin it then you cant just unscrew break just like if you weld it. To me in this case personally why would I allow NYS's vagueness of the law compel me to guess at what it means lol and still possibly be wrong. A law is supposed to be written so the individual does not have to guess what is being expected of them so to me pinning it in absence of any clearer instruction from the state does the same as welding it lol.

So yes you can pin it and weld it but it can be undone. IMO the only way that they cant argue you violated the law is to destroy the threads then attatch muzzle break however you want. Once those threads are destroyed then its not threaded period and your not breaking the law. But if they are intact under your break that is pinned and welded it can still be removed with effort making it still a threaded barrel and illegal lol.

You have to love NYS laws lol.

#26 ·
the thing is just pinning isnt considered perm the tirm pinning is what it sounds like its just a pin and or screw that holds it in place now if u welded the pin then it becoms perm bottem line welding joins the break or comp to the barrem it can not b removed unless cut a pin can b unscrewed and or pulled out with needel nose pliers (not perm) now if u going o they pin stocks! doesnt matter thats a whole diff world. if u would like to find out for ur selfe b my guest. im just letting u know what i have found out from about a month of looking in to it after i hade my barrel taken

#31 ·
I am just saying just because someones says something (including myself) doesnt make it true. If it is not a law or case law then its not a law obviously and if its not a law then you didnt do anything illegal. Yes you could pin it and drill part of the pin down so it cant be pulled out.

I am not saying someone shouldnt pin AND weld it but I just dont see where the law requires it and no one has posted any such law either. Alls anyone of us is really doing is speculating.

#29 ·
i think its all bull **** all ny laws with guns but we have to follow them just a heads up tho nys does not legaly recognise the difference between a flash supressor and a compensator they can make decision on their decreshion so ur best bet is to just go with a barrel with a break on it or comp on it tha u bought from a ny ffl or had shiped to u or ffl from a dealer

#44 ·
i know they could have arested me tho so i was happy with them agreeing to take barrel or gun i just found the cheeper way for them to do it and when its an illeagel barrel and or gun it is no longer ur property they have right to take it from you sux but w/e all i had to do was buy new barrel i had the ruger sr22 with the barrel that they give to u on that gun when buying in other states

#46 ·
Wait you had a ruger 10/22 and this happened with that? did you have a pistol grip on it? I could be wrong but even with a threaded barrel on a standard 10/22 I dont think its an assault weapon and a threaded barrel itself is not illegal. Did you have some other stock on it?

#48 ·
Hey you guys just gave me a great idea to get people back to work, support the liberals in NY and make some money while we're at it too. ... OK, so you're ready? ... seriously? Get this, forged barrels with the compensator/brake built into the process. Of course it will cost a ton more and put more people to work. Bloomy will love it. What you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.