New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think this has been covered before but apologize in advance if it has. I understand from another member who I trust completely that a brake can be pinned but not welded and still be compliant. Makes sense in so far as once it's pinned, it would take aabout the same effort to remove it as if if it was pinned and welded. However, can anybody confirm this? Are there any regs or opinion letters that establish legal standards for this? As Regan used to say about the Soviets, "trust but verify"...

If it needs to be welded, can a small wire feed Arc welder do the job on Stainless steel or does it need to be TIG welded?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Your not going to get a %100 confirm able answer since NY never said what was acceptable.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
a brake can be pinned but not welded and still be compliant.
That was not true under the federal AWB. If you are going to use that as guidance (and there is no guarantee that NY will find federal AWB methods acceptable) then it would need to be blind pinned and welded, welded around the circumference or four equally spaced tack welds around the circumference. High temp (1200 degree??) solder was also acceptable.

I have never seen any guidance issued by any NY State nor any court cases testing that.

·
Banned
51 Posts
ok iv looked into this and this is pretty much the deal the law has nothing to do with the pinning it as to do with the fact tof the matter that their is usable threads under the break. u need to weld it on to the gun wich makes it part of the barrel thus covering the threads .pinned is unaceptable ,sry my spelling sux

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But its generally accepted that pinning and welding is acceptable? If that's the case, can I do this myself with a small arc welder or does Stainless require a professional?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
But its generally accepted that pinning and welding is acceptable? If that's the case, can I do this myself with a small arc welder or does Stainless require a professional?
Yeah, there are rifles with blind pinned and welded brakes for sale in pretty much every gun store in NY.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I don't think this has been covered before but apologize in advance if it has. I understand from another member who I trust completely that a brake can be pinned but not welded and still be compliant. Makes sense in so far as once it's pinned, it would take aabout the same effort to remove it as if if it was pinned and welded. However, can anybody confirm this? Are there any regs or opinion letters that establish legal standards for this? As Regan used to say about the Soviets, "trust but verify"...

If it needs to be welded, can a small wire feed Arc welder do the job on Stainless steel or does it need to be TIG welded?
I always ask the gunsmiths everywhere in NY and I know a few do not weld them. They are permanently attached though.
Even after welded if any excess is rebated and refinished, then there is no easy way to tell. And in terms of effectiveness of the welding or not they are the same. They key is that they have to be permanently attached.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ballisticspro, I hear what you're saying and can agree with it to a point, but there are a whole lot of manufacturers out there selling ban compliant AR-15s with nothing more than a pin and weld on the brake. I'll side with the industry standard as far as that goes until such time that NYS comes out with clear and unambiguous guidance stating otherwise. Thanks for the post, though, I do appreciate it.

·
Banned
51 Posts
u are correct reason being is bec they have welded it if their are threads under the break or compensator then it needs to b welded u can not just pin it u may do both if you would like

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Ballisticspro, I hear what you're saying and can agree with it to a point, but there are a whole lot of manufacturers out there selling ban compliant AR-15s with nothing more than a pin and weld on the brake. I'll side with the industry standard as far as that goes until such time that NYS comes out with clear and unambiguous guidance stating otherwise. Thanks for the post, though, I do appreciate it.
That is the feedback that I got from several gunsmiths. Again, permanently attached is permanently attached. There is no more permanent or less permanent. Any job can be reverted with a drill or a cutting tool but it might not come off by any regular / simple means.

·
Banned
51 Posts
allmost got arested for just a pinned compensator at range they ended up taking my barrel insteadi whent home with my stock and reciver lol was not fun

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
allmost got arested for just a pinned compensator at range they ended up taking my barrel insteadi whent home with my stock and reciver lol was not fun
Some LEO's have no clue about the law so they could arrest you on anything, a preban mag and PRS stock, etc...
Where is this written? links to the government official law please? Did you do any research on it? Did you contact a lawyer?
Because we put something out there categorically w/o any precedent even in other state and then folks start to believe that this is actually the law. But again if it is a law it has to be written somewhere.
Don't bother to find it. It is not there.
They can take your gun if they want. They can even arrest you but they are going to have a heck of a time finding a reason to keep the gun or charge you.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Ok what about dremeling the threads so they are not useable then just pinning it with no weld? The law says permanently attached and it is so vague and absent of any guidance really rendering meaningless. Look into void for vagueness doctorine and this fits it well IMO. Sure you could weld it but you can always cut the weld. I cant think of any true permanent way to attach a muzzle break that isnt reversible if you really wanted to besides destroying the threads. But again you could always cut threads onto a non threaded barrel if you wanted to. I mean really no matter what you do its not permanent.

What about JB weld? thats easy enough?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts