New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a bunch of research and found out that the mak90 stamped is the best bang for the buck in the ak world .My max price is $750 What do you guys think? Good choice or you guys have a better choice ??? Thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
the MAK 90's metal parts are great. they usually, unfortunately, come with a god-awful, butt-ugly wooden thumbhole stock. if you can live with that (or convert it to a proper stock set), then it's a good grab!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For that much you could buy an Arsenal Saiga conversion, or convert a Saiga yourself. Then you'll have a brand new Russian AK with a chrome lined barrel. Cant say I know a ton about the MAK-90 variant but you can't go wrong with a Russian AK.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The chinese AK's are the most desirable for a reason.

All the MAK's are pre-94 so you're not stuck with a neutered rifle as well.

I've had Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Hungarian, Chinese and Egyptian and the Chinese are by far the smoothest, nicest units of the bunch.

Although the Hungarian AMD's on the original FEG military receivers are nice as well.

Get a MAK and then put aside a few bucks for an Ironwood Stock Set and a couple of 922R parts and never look back.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
agreed. My pre-ban Norinco is the nicest one I've ever held/seen

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
On top of that, you're getting a blued rifle as well. I don't know if that counts to many, but I prefer it over the black spraypaint.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get the MAK 90. Best AK out there. There are a few that are more "collectible" but as far as quality goes the MAK 90 is top shelf.

Good luck getting one for $750...if u find one in NYS for that price let me know where! It's my favorite rifle I own.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a line on one in PA for the $600 range right now. I got mine there for $450 last year.

Also working on a guy regarding a polytech.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's great. I got mine 2years ago with 500rnds and 2 30rnd mags for $800. Seems like they've gone up from what I've seen lately. good luck you will not be disappointed. as someone said earlier ironwood designs makes a great type56 Stock set.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Honestly I like my Egyptian Maddi... Never had a problem in over 2k rounds and is accurate..... Mine is dated 94 on the rear sight base also :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For that much you could buy an Arsenal Saiga conversion, or convert a Saiga yourself. Then you'll have a brand new Russian AK with a chrome lined barrel. Cant say I know a ton about the MAK-90 variant but you can't go wrong with a Russian AK.
You can get a mak90 for $600 on gunbrooker. The arsenal saiga goes for 800 plus. I still think the mak is the way to go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never bothered me..... It has been 100 percent reliable for me and that is what counts in my book.....
Of coarse is it . But im a little messed up in the head. I'm thinking if SHTF and I need to be on the go I wouldn't want to carry a heaved weapon . Talk about being reliable I went threw about 3k rds in my Norinco sks and not ONE problem. Well when I had the crappy bent sks mags it was a problem. But when I switch To the fixed mag not one problem. I was very impressed. Did I mention cleaned it at 3k rounds . Gun looked like nothing ever happened!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Noob question: Which Underfolders are Preban?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Any of the Type 56 norincos or polytechs.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I bought my MAK-90 in early 93 just had it rebarreled with a Romanian barrel and made 922 compliant, being a lefty that thumb hole stock was a pain in the rear to shoot. I just want to get some American followers and floor plates for my mags to make sure I am well below the 10 part threshold.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When I lived in PA I had an SBR'd SA2000M (Essentially the AMD-65) and it was a hoot. Not preban though. Most reliable, diehard weapon I've ever owned.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts