New York Firearms Forum banner

Mak-90 what to look for

Tags
mak90
2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Ralph 
#1 ·
I have a friend who is selling a Mak-90 in the $700ish ball park. I know it is a Norinco, but what do I need to look for in terms of it being legal and what would dictate it's age and any other helpful facts. Thanks for any help

#2 ·
MAK 90 came in aft5er the '89 ban,and stopped before the 94 ban.
If she is all stock(T-hole stock) ,your good to go. If she is "dressed" with a pistol grip,you
need to have 5 US parts,6 if the barrel is threaded.

That all said,she is a pre-ban and can have all the nasty stuff.

I'm in Otsego also if you ever needed a helping hand on her. (Otego)

#4 · (Edited)
For 700 get it and don't worry about the details. Straight or slant cut receiver doesn't matter at that price.
Make sure it doesn't have a 3rd rivet above the mag releAse as those are illegal(and extremely rare). Pics of what I mean are available thru a google search. If its stock and you want to de-ban it in the future check out Ironwood Designs for stock sets. Only prob w de-banning is that the Norinco's are the only AK's with a good trigger. A shame to change it out for a crapco G2

#6 ·
You pull the stock, one is a normal flat AK receiver, one is notched at the bottom to clear the stock.

Ironwood Designs has wood to fit both. I wouldn't worry much.

Of course it might be milled too.

#12 ·
You pull the stock, one is a normal flat AK receiver, one is notched at the bottom to clear the stock.
Ironwood Designs has wood to fit both. I wouldn't worry much.
Of course it might be milled too.
Straight cut

Camera accessory Gun accessory Fashion accessory Electric blue Event

Angled cut

Sleeve Automotive tire Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Far as I know, it only matters for the type of stock you order when replacing the thumbhole.

Ironwood Designs...good stuff: IWDHome

Product Wood Table Musical instrument accessory Tool

Did one of mine like this - except for the bayonet (but I understand no one uses them anymore). :)

Wood Flooring Floor Engineering Asphalt

#13 · (Edited)
I have two Norinco Mak-90's. One with slant cut and one with straight cut.

I like the straight cut a lot more, slant cut is just a PITA for finding stocks for it. I think only ATI and Ironwood make stocks for it, not too many options.

Here is one of them with a Timber Smith stock. It was for a Romanian AK, but 2-3 hours of wood work and I got it to fit perfect, no wobble, very snug fit.

#14 ·
If you go with Ironwood, consider Combloc Customs to do the finishing work on it. My MAK was finished in Russian Red by those guys. Came out very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.