New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the legality of these "rebuild kits." If you haven not seen them, they are basically Pmags that have been taken apart, apparently they are legal to ship into NY this way but I'm just not sure if that makes them legal to use. From what I've been told you can "build" one and then use it to replace a legal pre-ban mag that you have and apparently this was upheld somewhere. This from what I can tell is all urban knowledge however and I can't find any specific judgement saying that they are legal.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Negative.
They are post ban, and mere possession of the body alone even w/o any spring, follower, floorplate represents a felony in NY as law goes by mag body, not sum of parts.
A known post ban only manufacturers body will get you ****ed by default regardless of when the innards and sundries were made.

California is the place where they play the 'new mag replacing old' trick, provided you can prove there was an old broken down item to replace to begin with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks that is the information I was looking for. I'll stick with my pre-bans with updated innards!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
That would be the safest bet.
Be aware though that there are LEOs out there who will bust people by default simply because they don't know, or even worse care about, the subtlies of pre vs post ban.
Won't even bother looking for a date or listening to explination.
They simply ruin your day and say 'let the courts figure it out'.
They get the jolly of a scary guy bust + costing you $ in court fees even if proven innocent.

Oh, and you'll likely never see that expensive pre ban that caused the trouble ever again once is dissapears out of the evidence locker or simply is refused for return 'to prevent further confusion in the future'

Not saying thats always the way it is, but there are certainly those guys out there in larger numbers than one would hope for.

They would be the same ones who believe that if you can stick your finger in the end of a muzzle device its an illegal flash supressor, regardless of it actually being a legal brake.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Negative.
They are post ban, and mere possession of the body alone even w/o any spring, follower, floorplate represents a felony in NY as law goes by mag body, not sum of parts.
Not true. There is no ruling by NY State courts or written guidance from the NYSP that supports your statement anywhere that i have ever seen.

But... if you read the law it defines an illegal mag as a post ban mag that can hold or can be "readily restored or converted to accept" more than 10 rounds.

If you own all the parts to a mag, even if taken apart, i would say that is readily restored to accept 30 rounds.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be aware though that there are LEOs out there who will bust people by default simply because they don't know, or even worse care about, the subtlies of pre vs post ban.
They get the jolly of a scary guy bust + costing you $ in court fees even if proven innocent.

Oh, and you'll likely never see that expensive pre ban that caused the trouble ever again once is dissapears out of the evidence locker or simply is refused for return 'to prevent further confusion in the future'

Not saying thats always the way it is, but there are certainly those guys out there in larger numbers than one would hope for.

They would be the same ones who believe that if you can stick your finger in the end of a muzzle device its an illegal flash supressor, regardless of it actually being a legal brake.
I'm not concerned with having legal ones where I am at, I'm in a fairly rual area and the majority of the police here know the law well as hunting and shooting are very common. If I were somewhere else I would be worried about that but now here in Chautauqua Co.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts

Can you tell me of even one specific instance where someone was arrested for having a preban mag or had a mag confiscated and refused to be returned or had one disappear from the evidence locker?

I have a feeling this is exactly how internet rumors start.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where did you hear this?
No idea at this point, like I said, it's all some guy, knows a guy who said sort of thing. Which is why I'm looking for some clarification. All I know for certain is that sellers WILL mail them here to NY (and by the way they do mail the actual shell too) if they are sold as a rebuild kit. They take the mag apart and charge you a buck extra to boot.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Its not legal to posses one of the post ban kits put togther, sellers do this so they can't be held liable. Some people don't care what the law is and will use post ban mags.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
I'm not concerned with having legal ones where I am at, I'm in a fairly rual area and the majority of the police here know the law well as hunting and shooting are very common. If I were somewhere else I would be worried about that but now here in Chautauqua Co.
Seriously? Why would you post that on a public forum?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Pretty sure he meant the police won't arrest him for a legal pre ban
I had to read it twice myself. But,yeah, I'm pretty sure he meant legal pre ban.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thank you Jeff. That is a very broad brush that was used to paint a very broad picture. Makes it seems like ALL cops are liars and thieves.

Can you tell me of even one specific instance where someone was arrested for having a preban mag or had a mag confiscated and refused to be returned or had one disappear from the evidence locker?

I have a feeling this is exactly how internet rumors start.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I believe these rebuild kits are intended to rebuild a legally owned pre-ban magazine and not to be used to assemble a new high capacity magazine. That is what I understand from reading on these kits.

·
Registered
290 Posts
what about the legality of getting one of these Pmag repair kits and permanently modifying it to be a 10 rounder?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
I had to read it twice myself. But,yeah, I'm pretty sure he meant legal pre ban.
Hope so, sometimes it's hard to tell with all the stupid that's been floating around here lately.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what about the legality of getting one of these Pmag repair kits and permanently modifying it to be a 10 rounder?
I'm pretty sure that is also NOT legal. HOWEVER...I know that Tapco sells 10 round mags that are as long as 30 rounders and those ARE legal. Because they were not modified, they were constructed to be only 10 rounds and thats it. But then...really all you are buying is a look and Tapco mags are not the best anyhow.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts