New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the subject says, I got a magpul mbus flip up set and installed them no problem, took it to the range and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 50 yards.... I did have the front post mounted to a railed gas block, could that have been my problem?? I have since purchased and installed a blackhawk quad rail carbine length forend, that appears to be exactly even with the rail on my upper receiver. My second question is, should I now be able to re-install the mbus magpul I have on that quad rail and be golden or will I still have problems?? Thanks in advance.

-- Pete

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
You don't want the Mbus on the gas block because the heat from the block could melt the sight.

Did you adjust the sights at all, or just install them and go?

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Put it on a rail, never a gas block. On every gun I've put Magpuls in, they've been accurate pretty much right out of the package. On my 6.8, they are about 5" low at 25yd, so I need to adjust the front, but it's also a different caliber and prolly a 19-20" sight radius unlike my others mounted on a regular mid-length rail.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Cannot install MBUS on your gas block:

1) The heat will melt the sight.

2) Most gas blocks are not the correct height for MBUS. If you want a gas block mounted sight, you need a "gas-block-height" specific front sight.

Without spending any more money, your best bet now is to mount the MBUS front to your handguard rail.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'm well aware I shouldn't put it on the gas block and untill recently it was my only option(that or return to using the UTG gas block heigh metal front post which after 100 rounds W/ the magpuls I put back on) I tried adjusting every which way I could that post was all the way up, all the way down and every spot in between lol. From the looks of everyting it appears to me that having it on the mis-alligned height gas block was my problem. Thank you all for the info... I will be instaling it on my new blackhawk forend tonight, and zero'ing this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts