New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The legality to safe act of it, on a semi auto rifle like a saiga with a quad rail, is it legal or not ? It's not technically a pistol grip...

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If the ATF says it's legal to put on a pistol then I don't see how it wouldn't be legal to put on a rifle. It's not vertical

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
(A) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
(II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF
THE WEAPON;
(III) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(IV) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND;
My guess is that they'll get you on the "second handgrip" that can be held be the non-trigger hand. The truth is that no one really knows what is or isn't legal until people start getting arrested and going to trial (not taking a plea deal).

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
So since I hold the mag well does that make it a second handgrip?
No more than a plastic handguard or bare quadrail. It's all about what a DA will bring charges on. I would guess that the Magpul angled foregrip would probably be considered an evil feature. It's impossible to know for sure.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
It's amazing how much the laws change once you toss a tiny set screw into the mix ;)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
the rail is not a second hand grip...however i wouldn't put anything but a light or a bi-pod on the rail then youll start running into issues.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
If your rifle is never seen by anyone but yourself I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
My personal opinon is a grip is only a grip when it can be held in place with a closed fist. That being said, you might look into a hand stop instead. Since the AFG sounds illegal because of the "grip" in it's name.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts