New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a product I came across that I thought others might like also.

It's really nothing more then a 3x10" magnetic strip with a sticky back and 4 nails. I was expecting something solid but it's actually somewhat flexible. Sort of like a large fridge magnet, though a bit thicker.

It's intended mainly I suppose for keeping magazines organized inside a safe, but that wasn't exactly how I wound up using it, I carry different handguns depending on where I'm going and such and I mainly always kept the magazines for them in carriers just sitting on top of the safe. If you're anything like me though, you might be putting your spare mags down in a place that gets cluttered by putting other stuff down there also. When I saw this thing on eBay I thought, "With that I could put up the magnet near where I get dressed and just drop my mags on there". Then they wouldn't get knocked around by other things and would stay in a convenient easy place; as it happens, it works.

I wondered about the magnet's strength, but decided to tale a chance. Turns out it's probably not as strong as you might hope but it does the job for pistol mags. I would definitely not suggest it for rifle mags and even with pistol mags if you put this thing on a swinging safe door they might start to slide down after a while. For a static positioning they hold well enough though.

Another thing to note is that this will not hold on both sides. What I mean by that is that you can't have it magnetically attached to the outside of a safe and have it also magnetically hold the magazines. You could of course stick it to the safe but it's probably best attached to anything (like a safe interior or a wall) with both it's sticky back AND the nails. I actually put mine in with 4 little drywall holder things since I wanted it on the wall.

Anyway , here's a pic (not my pic, I just considerably reduced the size of one of the seller's pics)

The cost was $13.85 shipped; which maybe seems a bit much for just an over-sized fridge magnet..heh. Realistically though I did some searching and wasn't able to find a similar magnet (not marketed as a gun safe product) that I could be sure would be of the same strength for any less.

Overall I like this product and found it to be a good working solution for my needs.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with this product or it's seller in any way, this is just my review. I got it from seller dean_safe_company on eBay

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interesting. I had never considered any kind of magnetic organizer for firearms accessories before coming across this thing. I don't know why really since I would use such a thing for tools. The two had just never intersected in my mind before for whatever reason but maybe It's more common than I realized. That does seem like a good solution for a safe and it is certainly less expensive. I have to say though that I do prefer the product reviewed here though for my own particular purpose. Specifically because it's mostly flat and doesn't look overly obtrusive on a wall, or perhaps more important in my case is that it doesn't particularly protrude from the wall. Since I mounted it in a dressing area as opposed to in a safe it could always be painted over and not look like much of anything other than a slight rectangular protrusion less thick than a light switch cover.

This might be good for someone with less overall space also , though now that you pointed it out I'm totally getting one of those for inside the safe too..heh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts