New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchasing ammo in quantities can be an expensive proposition, so I've been making it a habit to pick up a couple boxes every time I'm out in that direction. It's just about the cheapest place I've found for stuff like Federal Champion.

I walked in there last night with the intention of purchasing a few boxes for some upcoming classes. When I got back to the sporting goods section, the sales drone asked me if he could be of assistance. I told him that I would like to purchase five boxes of the Federal 9mm. Having been through the drill before, I was already reaching into my pocket for my pistol permit when he asked to see it.

He looked at it and said "I've never seen one of these before. Are you sure it's real?"

"Yes, that's how Ontario County issues them." (It's the paper document with the photo stapled to it.)

"Well, the picture looks like you, but I'm not sure about how the picture is attached."

"Would you like to see my driver's license so you can match the photo to the name?"

"I'll have to talk to my manager" and he walks away WITH MY PERMIT IN HIS HANDS! As I turn the corner, he's standing there with the manager. The manager is now looking at my permit.

"I have NEVER seen a permit like this. This has to be fake"

"No, this is how Ontario County issues them"

"Well then you'll have to go back to Ontario County and tell them that you need something that looks real. I could type this up on a computer and staple my picture to it."

"Look, there's a raised seal that says 'Ontario County' across both the document AND the picture. I've offered to show you my driver's license. I can also show you the pistol permits I hold from four other states, ALL with the SAME person in the photo and ALL with the SAME address and date of birth."

"Sir, I'm afraid you're just going to have to go somewhere else"

So I took my permit back from the manager and walked out the door empty-handed.

Now that I've had a day to cool off, my letter-writing campaign is about to begin. In the mean time, I refuse to go back to Wal-Mart for ANYTHING.

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
considering asking for a permit to buy the ammo is optional this seems a weeee bit excessive. ok, really...really excessive.

·
Registered
822 Posts
So if i went to Wallyworld and wanted to buy ammo for my Ruger PC9 carbine i would have to produce a pistol permit ? I have never purchased ammo at Wal Mart before, seems a bit much. Hmmm.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Yup, and it's not optional, it's their corporate policy. I got hassled once for buying ammo that didn't match the caliber of the pistols on my license. The guy sold me the ammo, but not without a raised eyebrow and some hemming and hawing.

I would say it takes, on average, a half hour for me to buy ammo at Walmart from the time I walk in the door.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've never been questioned for buying ammo not listed on my permit, but, yes, Wally World REQUIRES a permit for anything that could be used in a handgun (except .22 or 410 shotgun).
so if I had a 995TS, but no pistol permit, I'd have been screwed trying to buy ammo at Wally.

Bad corporate policy is only SLIGHTLY offset by the lower prices.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The biggest problem I have is finding some one that works in that department. Then, when you finally find them, they don't have the keys.
I will only shop at Wally's in the morning before work. It's amazing how empty the store is at 8:00.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
when i was buying .223 at wally world a few months ago i said to the guy at the counter, "soo i own a kel tec sub 2000 thats chambered in 9mm, are you telling me that i cant buy ammunition for my carbine because they make pistols chambered in the same cartridge?" he didnt even bat an eye and said oh no that fine you can buy it then.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
That's why I have avoided Wally World. Excessive and needless policies. NY says you have to be 21 to get ammo. Good enuff for me. Wally wants a permit? well...OK. I understand. Oh wait, you want to look at all the guns I have listed? NFW

I wonder what would happen if us legal, permitted people started writing letters to corporate Wally and spread the word about the ID experts in the sporting goods section of Wally World that think a real permit is fake.....

Just sayin

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
My favorite Wal-Mart ID story was the time I got carded for buying a R rated movie not five minutes after I bought beer at that same Wal-Mart without being carded.

Guess you have to ask yourself if the cheap prices are worth putting up with their nonsense.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Unfortunately, Walmart is so much cheaper on 9mm, I'll only buy it there. Their policies are ridiculous and the (normal) people who work that department are idiots. There's one ex-military (I'm pretty sure, at least) guy who's pretty cool, though.

Before I got my permit, I tried buying 9mm for my Hi-Point 995 and they refused, even though I told them it was for a carbine.

G

·
Wally world once told me that is the caliber gun was not on my permit they could not sell me ammo. Meaning if I wanted to grab some 45 and I have no 45 on my permit they won't sell it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
This is how I got in the habit of going to the ammo counter every time I went there,you never knew if the person working the counter would sell it to you.
I'd try to buy even if I didn't need it so I could stockpile for when I couldn't get any.
I'd argue "There are .22 pistols so how come you're not asking to see my permit for those?"(never worked)
I even had one asst. manager tell me to bring a picture of my 995 and the receipt and she would sell me the ammo.
I have my permit now and don't have to worry about it.
BTW, I have never been asked to show the card with my pistols listed to check the caliber.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You want fries with that?

"I have NEVER seen a permit like this. This has to be fake"
The Macedon PD are right on the West side of the Walmart parking lot. If you had time to kill ( I know, who has time to kill) you should have had them call over to the local LEO's because of your "fake" permit.

·
Registered
527 Posts
And my wife wants to know why I don't want to go to Walmart's...., Then they almost strip search you on the way out...

·
Registered
242 Posts
The store in Camillus wouldn't sell me 22 LR before until I showed my pistol permit even though it was for a rifle.

One time the credit card machine was down. They wouldn't let me go to the front to pay for it so I couldn't buy ammo. BS because you could buy target shot shells and pay up front.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well i never realized Wallyworld was so rightous, i guess i won't bother no matter the price. I can't think of a reason why anyone would bother with that hassle, i'll pay a couple bucks more and go to my local shop or do as usual and order online.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts