New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
pardon my ignorance...when is .308 long action?
The Army (or Marines, forgot which) bought all of their M24s in long action so they could be easily converted for future use, so the .308 in this system is long action. Several companies make long action .308 bolts/actions for Remingtons.

The Marines (or Army, forgot which) went with M40s, and their .308s are short actions like just about all of the civilian rifles.

G

·
M40A1 = USMC = M700 Short Action = built by the USMC precision weapons shop @ Quantico
M24 = US Army = M700 Long Action = built by Remington in Ilion, NY

Many M24's are currently undergoing the upgrade to .300WM.

It's a pretty sweet rig.....good luck with the sale.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
and yet no one answers what "long" and "short" action is...guess we can google it.
Generally, it'd refer to how far the bolt travels from it's furthest point rearward to to point where it chambers the round. Longer rounds need longer actions. For example, an R700 SPS Tactical in .308 is short-action. In .223, it's super-short action I believe. If it was available in .300 Win Mag, or .338 Lapua (among several other calibers), it'd be long action.

Also, no one asked what long action or short action was. So there can't be an answer to a question that didn't exist in the first place.

As for the OP, I'd LOVE this rifle system, but unfortunately I already have a .308 R700.

G

·
FWIW, the upgrade of the M24 from 7.62 x 51mm NATO to the .300 Winchester Magnum leaves only the original receiver and trigger assembly.

Everything else is new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts