New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll have to pass this along to my buddy, who owns both. He's much more an SKS man, while I prefer the M1. I've never fired either rifle past 100 yards, so maybe my opinion would change if I did.

Interesting how the author mounted optics on those classics... I guess I'm more of a purist, but I'd keep them stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I see M1 carbines going for like $750 to $1000. So I'd be more inclined to vote for the SKS.

I remember circa 1980 when M1 carbines were selling the Montgomery Wards catalogue for like $150. So $750-1000 is insane, with an -ing word inserted.

The M1 carbine is a nice gun. Not much recoil. I used my friends fathers to hunt deer when we were kids and first going hunting.

The WW2/Korean war era nostalgia is nice but not $1000 nice.

For $1000, I'd rather buy two AR15s or the parts to built 3 or 4 of them.*

Then there's the ammunition issue.

The M1 carbine cartridge is a orphan cartridge used in one or two firearms.

While the 7.62x39 is used in dozens upon dozens of firearm models. There's likely trillions of rounds floating around this planet. Is strong left arm of unfree world, comrade.

The SKS weighs almost twice what an M1 carbine weighs. If you have to smack someone in the face with the butt of a rifle, which do you think is going to do more damage?

Back to deer hunting. The SKS has a built in bayonet if the deer decide to do mass wave charge.

* = If I didn't live in a New Confederacy state like NY, NJ, CT or MA.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you can find an original M1 carbine for 1,000. Grab it! If it’s got US markings and is from one of the top manufacturers it’s more likely $1500+ . Now if it’s been to Outer Mongolia and back and sold off as a recent find surplus (re imported) - it’s likely not all original, in questionable condition and may not even be safe to fire.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back in the early 1980s one of my buddies had an M1 carbine and we all had a chance to shoot it. A lot of fun.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wouldn’t group all Sks rifles in the same category either. While I bought a Chinese version back in the 90s when you could pick them up on the cheap, the Yugoslav and Russian are superior. A short while ago I was a a gun shop and saw an un altered Chinese sell for $850.
I bought my M1 carbine in ‘76 for $79. It was manufactured by Singer Sewing Machine Co of Plainfield NJ. Considering the difference in the ballistics the SKS is an accurate moderate range rifle. The M1 Carbine is short to medium range at best. The M1 Carbine is still banned in several states such as NJ. Also while most people say a SKS isn’t an assault rifle be aware that it may be if it has a detachable mag and evil features. I’d say if you want collector value go with the M1 carb or a Russian SKS, but for a shooter go with the Chinese SKS.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I wouldn’t group all Sks rifles in the same category either. While I bought a Chinese version back in the 90s when you could pick them up on the cheap, the Yugoslav and Russian are superior. A short while ago I was a a gun shop and saw an un altered Chinese sell for $850.
I bought my M1 carbine in ‘76 for $79. It was manufactured by Singer Sewing Machine Co of Plainfield NJ. Considering the difference in the ballistics the SKS is an accurate moderate range rifle. The M1 Carbine is short to medium range at best. The M1 Carbine is still banned in several states such as NJ. Also while most people say a SKS isn’t an assault rifle be aware that it may be if it has a detachable mag and evil features. I’d say if you want collector value go with the M1 carb or a Russian SKS, but for a shooter go with the Chinese SKS.
I've been offered 800 for my `54 Tula . All original including the cleaning kit, oil can and sling. Couldn't do it. Its just too much fun to shoot and i've never seen another one quite like it or in its condition. As far as not being an "assault rifle" I wouldn't want to have to go up against one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts