New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did a first impressions write up of the new LWRC M6A2 SPR at GunSpec Blog:
LWRC M6A2 5.56 SPR: First Impressions by gspecadmin on June 6, 2012

Despite everything you hear about "it's not the gun, it's the shooter" the LWRC M6A2 SPR (Special Purpose Rifle) will convince otherwise. I'm no Top Shot, but yesterday this rig worked wonders. I caught that bug a month ago really hard after holding such a well balanced rifle in my hands. I couldn't let go of it. This was the LWRC M6A2 SPR 14.7″ barrel with 1:7 twist (including a PWS Compensator welded and pinned for 16″ legal length).
Due to location and time constraints we could only test for about 200 rounds total before writing this article. For a more extensive and long term review of the M6 Series, I highly recommend NutNFancy's tests:

The first time I took her out was during a lunch break and shot about 100 rounds of 55 grain M193 FMJ BT. No pre cleaning, no post cleaning. At the time everything ran flawlessly but I had two non-threatening issues. First, the LWRCI Rear Skirmish Sight was not for me - simply a matter of personal preference. Second, there was a persistent failure for the bolt to lock back when using 20 round 1970′s Colt-marked USGI magazines (we have to make the best of our pre-bans around here).

I'm sure it's matter of training but overall I just could not focus properly or maintain good shot consistency using the LWRCI Skirmish Rear Sight. I just didn't feel confident with it. Don't get me wrong, this sight in the hands of a trained professional would be devastating. With more practice, I'm sure I would have been fine. The aperture at 100-300 meters was not as comfortable for me as my Troy Rear Battle Sight. I did however admire its characteristics: a rotary post allows for quick deployment flip down/up. You don't need to fiddle with your aperture to get the sight to stay flat along the top rail. The surfaces of the aperture are grooved to eliminate glare. Finally, the sight itself grips nicely to the rail and is designed to be snag free. I'm not sure if this would make a difference in overall accuracy but I noticed that the cubic rotary post did have some "play" from left to right as you rotated. Not sure if this was normal or if it was affecting my shooting. If the post rotated too far left or too far right, perhaps this could affect the rifle's zero? Further testing would be required in the future. For now I just had to change the rear sight out to my usual Troy Rear Sight. I kept the original LWRC front sight which offers a nice meaty post to focus on.

The bolt lock back problem is the result of first using a pre-ban USGI mag. I have some other pre-bans I'll try in the future. For now, if anyone has experienced issues using older mags with alloy followers, please do comment. These are GI 20 round magazines made by Colt's sub contractor Universal Industries, a division of Okay Industries. They use alloy followers (not plastic) and are marked with a "UI" stamp on the wall of the mag. During the first 100 rounds this resulted in about 75% of my round ejections ending with a closed bolt. Once I switched to the included LWRC 10 round mag (made by D&H Industries) the problem completely disappeared - smooth as butter, bolt stayed open every time. I'm also confident there wouldn't be a problem with Magpul or Troy mags; for the record.
Over the course of the month leading up to the sight change I let the rifle sit uncleaned after the first 100 rounds. These rifles are designed to run dry and dirty. Gas Piston and Direct Impingement are loved equally in my household, so we'll save that debate for another time. The fire control group and bolt assembly are nickel coated for permanent lubricity so it wasn't like I needed to clean or lube up. I added a few drops of CLP just for fun.

If you've ever shot the LWRC 7.62mm REPR you can certainly attest to LWRC's precision and reduced recoil. No doubt that sucker is heavy. However shooting it feels like you're throwing 5.56 down range and not 7.62. It is incredibly accurate and reliable. The LWRC M6A2 SPR felt like I just genetically cloned a REPR to suit my lifestyle. Lighter, easier to handle, greater mag capacity, less recoil, and in 5.56.
During both outings, the barrel always maintained a nice warm temperature thanks to efficient heat dissipation brought on by the spiraled design. The rifle's finish is a nice powdered black while the pointability and target acquisition are nothing short of awesome. The reduced weight of the rifle, coupled with LWRC's interchangeable rail system gives a very comfortable yet utility minded weapon. After holding the rifle in ready and fire positions for long periods of time, I felt little to no wrist fatigue thanks to the weight reductions that LWRC incorporated. This also included holding the rifle in various positions with a Magpul AFG2 foregrip.

The VLTOR BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle included with the rifle was an added bonus. All controls in general were easy to manipulate. Sooner or later I'll be adding a bolt assist device for faster reloads. Especially for such a compact rifle this will come in handy during future carbine courses. Another great design factor is the ability to manipulate the take-down pins without the need for a punch when you field strip your rifle.

The next 100 out of 100 rounds saw no jams or bolt lockup whatsoever using 55 gr M193 FMJ BT as well as the D&H magazine (which I should have used in the first place). The M6A2 recoil offers a nice short pulse of soft energy transferring through your shoulder. Especially on a bench rest, it was a confident feeling after each shot. There was a peculiar sense of ease with follow up shots as well thanks to the overall balance of the rifle. It seemed faster than usual to get my front post back on target. Overall, recoil was lighter compared to other gas piston AR-15′s I've owned. Accuracy was outstanding and overall a pleasant rifle to shoot. Round after round, the rifle was extremely forgiving at times when I was getting sloppy.

LWRC is a well known and combat proven brand in military and law enforcement circles. For a civilian or competitor, once you have it in your hands you'll understand why this "Special Purpose Rifle" does a great job at being so special. It took two trades and some cash to acquire, but make no mistake it was well worth it. Some may argue you can be just as effective with a sub $1000 AR-15 and I totally agree. The M6A2 5.56 SPR definitely takes craftsmanship to the next level and seriously does its best to operate like a professional would. If you do have the ability to acquire one in the future, just make sure to mumble under your breath after each shot, "I'm not worthy! … I'm not worthy!". The M6A2 SPR will certainly take care of you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts