New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful weekend so I spent it out on Lake George rather than working on a new build:)

So thinking about putting together two lower receivers this week after work. Appreciate any tips from the forum. Two questions come to mind:

1. Is use of grease or lubrication recommended on the indents/springs? I know some recommend to hold springs in place during assembly but I'm not inclined to use any unless it helps over the life of the gun. Maybe a little teflon powder just to keep things working smoothly?

2. Loctite on pistol grip screw and castle nut. Here I think a little blue (temporary bond) won't hurt.

Any other tips or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Be extra careful on the roll pin that holds the bolt catch in. The ears that hold the roll pin are curvy, so it's easy to slip off of them.

I don't know if they still sell them, but I have a pair of Craftsman auto-adjusting pliers that work well for roll pins. They also come with thick rubber guards that slip over the top and bottom teeth. They've worked very well on the (4) builds I've done.

I usually just use Rem-Oil on springs and such before I install them. It's pretty thin stuff, so I don't really have to worry about it thickening up too much.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The trigger guard ears are delicate too.
Get good support backing set up before shoving the pin or you may just snap one off.
It helps a little bit if the front end of the guard is snapped into place pre~pinning efforts as it assists in keeping the ears supprted in the middle and the guard proper a bit more square to the receiver than fingers holding it and a punch and a pin and a receiver all while trying to whack the pin with a hammer in the other hand.

Grease on the detents and springs would be a good plan even beyond holding things in place as they almost never get lubed over their service life, which is shortened because they never get lubed....

The takedown pin detent spring is pretty much completely inaccessable after assembly for example.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Second set of hands. Best tool to use, on front take down pin and bolt catch...

On bolt catch I think they sell a punch that's perfectly sized for it.

Umm. Painters tape to protect the finish...

Annnnnd other thing that's a must have... Spare springs and detents. Your bound to one day on a build or changing a stock, to lose a part.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Second set of hands. Best tool to use, on front take down pin and bolt catch...

On bolt catch I think they sell a punch that's perfectly sized for it.

Umm. Painters tape to protect the finish.

Annnnnd other thing that's a must have... Spare springs and detents. Your bound to one day on a build or changing a stock, to lose a part.
^^^^^
What he said. Second set of hands.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Thanks, that looks like a good video but he is not using any grease/ other lubrication, which really is what I'm asking.... I've been through this before, LOL.
The RRA lpk's I use come pre-lubed.....If your's isn't no real need for lubrication,maybe a quick shot of Rem Lube on the detents like Tifosi said and a quick wipe of the springs......Other than that everything else is easily accessible if you ever need to lube it at some point down the road....Be EXTRA careful with the detents,they have a bad habit of flying across the room and if you don't have spares your build is dead in the water,and most gun shops don't carry them....I would order this kit from PSA if I were you,for $13.00 it is cheap insurance buddy.....!

Ar-15 Parts Replacement Kit - Lower Parts - AR-15

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Oh,and your other question about threadlock........Yes on the castle nut.....Grip bolt,nahh don't need it your kit should have came with a star lock washer,just snug it good,that is plenty I have never had one come loose...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
And lastly don't worry about masking tape,just wrap your plier jaws in sports tape and cover the tips as well,you won't leave a scratch whatsoever.....Pliers are much more controlable than a punch and make putting in those roll pins much easier......If you run in to problems shoot me a message,I will be around all weekend and will help ya out if you need it....Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Roll pin holder is very useful for the bolt catch pin.

Support the bottom ear of the trigger guard retaining tab (as stated above) when driving the pin--this is probably the most dangerous part of assembling the lower and breaking off the ear is a non-repairable error.

Long shanked screw driver is nice for the pistol grip. I actually prefer the hex head screws instead of slotted heads that usually come with pistol grip screws.

Cotter pin (home depot/lowes) makes putting in the front detent/push pin very easy.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually prefer the hex head screws instead of slotted heads that usually come with pistol grip screws.
Yes, I buy the ERGO grips that actually come with a hex head screw... Very easy to install with a hex socket.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Pivot pin installation tool

Or if you go the cotter pin route as suggested by LDD, you'll want a 1/4" OD pin at least 1 1/2" long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts