New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful. I lost my firearms over a false allegation. Not a conviction, an allegation. Never went to trial and I was never arrested. NY has the WORST gun laws already. This makes it even harder to want to stay in this state

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry to hear OP.

Can you please elaborate on this? My assumption has to be that there is more to this story beyond a mere allegation if you don't give more details.

I hope it's not that "red flag" law NY and other states are adopting. In case it isn't enough that any conviction will make them confiscate your guns, now anyone for any reason can hold the power to strip you of your constitutional rights simply by alerting a judge. What surprises me is how many people don't realize how this bill has effectively turned owning a gun into a summary offense in NY state.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Sorry to hear OP.

Can you please elaborate on this? My assumption has to be there is more this story beyond a mere allegation if you don't give more details.

I hope it not that "red flag" lawNY and other states are adopting. In case it isn't enough that any conviction will make them confiscate your guns, now anyone for any reason can hold the power to strip you of your constitutional rights simply by alerting a judge. What surprises me how many people don't realize how this bill has effectively turned owning a gun into a summary offense in NY state.
In my area there doesn't even have to be an allegation. Any visit by police for any domestic situation eve if no arrest or no crime was committed they take the guns. That's right. I call my wife a fucking bitch and a sensitive neighbor calls 911, police come, no crime committed, no arrest, and my guns are taken. I then have to go to Supreme Court to get them back.

Also this happens. Mu dad and brother are both cops and they were bragging/ talking about doing this. I told them they were sick fucks and this is 100% unconstitutional. Their response a judge in niagara county started this and it spread to a few other areas and they supported it to save lives. I said how can you take my rights and my property away without a crime being committed?

·
Registered
238 Posts
In my area there doesn't even have to be an allegation. Any visit by police for any domestic situation eve if no arrest or no crime was committed they take the guns. That's right. I call my wife a fucking bitch and a sensitive neighbor calls 911, police come, no crime committed, no arrest, and my guns are taken. I then have to go to Supreme Court to get them back.

Also this happens. Mu dad and brother are both cops and they were bragging/ talking about doing this. I told them they were sick fucks and this is 100% unconstitutional. Their response a judge in niagara county started this and it spread to a few other areas and they supported it to save lives. I said how can you take my rights and my property away without a crime being committed?
Amazing that your immediately family members not only support this, but are actively responsible for carrying out this unconstitutional enactment.

If this is really the way things are going to be for the foreseeable future, people need to know that they shouldn't tell anyone about their gun collections. Like not even immediate family members or people close to them. And definitely don't inform people that owning guns is something important to you, considering that it can be used as a political weapon against you in this [email protected]#ked up state. That and don't get married because a vindictive woman seems to be the cause of 90% of these confiscations.

*****This scenario here is probably the exact reason why NY and other liberal states force residents to register their guns. Makes it easier for them to systemically confiscate them which we all know is their ultimate goal.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Be very careful. I’ve said it before. Here we see what can happen first hand.

The problem is any judge will take the guns as a matter of public safety. Even if it’s not lawful or constitutional they will do it and get away with it. If it only saves 1 life - remember that? If you think for a second that only the named people in the red flag law (wife, teacher, whatever else) can file a red flag report and get your guns taken you’ve got another thing coming. ANY complaint by ANYONE can and will trigger a red flag confiscation. No judge is going to rule against this. It’s for safety after all.

I really feel bad for OP. I’m not surprised however. I hope you can get this resolved and not loose your life savings in the process. We all know how vindictive an ex can be if that’s the case here as I suspect. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Amazing that your immediately family members not only support this, but are actively responsible for carrying out this unconstitutional enactment.

If this is really the way things are going to be for the foreseeable future, people need to know that they shouldn't tell anyone about their gun collections. Like not even immediate family members or people close to them. And definitely don't inform people that owning guns is something important to you, considering that it can be used as a political weapon against you in this [email protected]#ked up state. That and don't get married because a vindictive woman seems to be the cause of 90% of these confiscations.

*****This scenario here is probably the exact reason why NY and other liberal states force residents to register their guns. Makes it easier for them to systemically confiscate them which we all know is their ultimate goal.
I have stopped wearing all my gun shirts and largely don't speak to strangers about my guns. If I go hunting or shooting I back my truck in the driveway and try to keep my guns out of site while loading them. I have new neighbors and I do t know them. They seem weird so they make me nervous honestly.

·
Registered
558 Posts

I have stopped wearing all my gun shirts and largely don't speak to strangers about my guns. If I go hunting or shooting I back my truck in the driveway and try to keep my guns out of site while loading them. I have new neighbors and I do t know them. They seem weird so they make me nervous honestly.
Good call. Once they know you have them all it takes is a phone call and they're gone. I don't even own any gun clothing. I carry every day every where so it wouldn't be a good idea to wear it anyhow.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good call. Once they know you have them all it takes is a phone call and they're gone. I don't even own any gun clothing. I carry every day every where so it wouldn't be a good idea to wear it anyhow.
This scenario is exactly what could happen with this new law. (and probably what every lawmaker intended for when they drafted it).

Clueless neighbor: "Hello police department, I saw a guy next door take what looked like a gun case out of his car."

Police: "Does it make you feel uncomfortable or like it threatens your safety?"

Clueless neighbor: "YES it absolutely does. I hate guns."

This is basically all the police/state need now to confiscate guns. Someone else's opinion on firearm possession is enough to prevent you from having any. People don't realize that it doesn't take a "domestic dispute" or some sort of adverse encounter with police for this law to affect you. Any time someone calls police and says the word "gun" they will show up (since all guns are presumed illegal in NYS and need to be confiscated for "your own safety."

Been on this forum for most of my adult life and was once hopefully optimistic (naively in hindsight) thinking that things might change in the future because of their blatant unconstitutionality. Even at a young age this was apparent to me. Now I realize that the NRA and every pro 2A interest group in this country gave up and abandoned this state a long time ago. Especially with Trump gone (where the heck is that concealed carry reciprocity act he promised us all btw?) I've completely lost hope too.

Something else people here might enjoy reading on this issue of how deranged neighbors can mess up your life: The link below is about a man from Nutley, NJ whose mentally ill neighbor peeping through his window and seeing a gun prompted police to raid his home and frame him for having materials used to create a pipe bomb. He goes into very good detail of what happened to him as a result of this phone tip in his post. It is a long read but I'd highly recommend it.

https://www.quora.com/If-I-am-movin...ugh-the-permit-process-if-they-are-registered

1 - 9 of 9 Posts