New York Firearms Forum banner

Lost a mag

9K views 64 replies 34 participants last post by  Darthgamer138 
#1 ·
So, I went to a movie today with a buddy and saw that there was a NO WEAPONS sign in the bottom corner of the door at the AMC theater we were going to. I turned around, locked my pistol in the car and went on in to watch the movie. Silently *****ing about it to myself all the while. Some time during the movie, the spare mag I carry with me fell out of my pocket and I didn't know it was missing until I got back home. What the hell do I do now? Not sure if I could get into some kind of trouble or not if I go back for it. Should I chalk up as a loss, go get it, or call the sheriff's department and let them know I'm a dumb ass and then go get it, just to be safe? Has this happened to anyone here and if so how did you handle it?

#2 ·
I would probably not say anything......but thinking about it what if it gets in the hands of a child under the age 18. You could be held liable for anything that happens to that child....

Next time ignore those signs they are meaningless.

Maybe go back to the theater and ask to speak the the manager. You are not going to get in any legal trouble for having a magazine in there.

#6 ·
Well as Prominus said ignore the sign anyways..1st thing..carry with you always..i can care less bout some scared young kid making a paper sign "no guns allowed" and hanging it in window. I would rather protect myself and loved ones rather then be dead. BUT I would be petrified to death if I put my gun in my car and it was stolen and used for a murder. never ever leave your gun in a car anyway. If you thinkin "hmmm but whats the chances of my car gettin broke into?" Well then all you gotta do is read Tatts812 thread a few lines down...and if his firearm would have been improperly left in his vehical, then sure as hell it would be on its way to the rioting ****bags elsewhere..jus my theory

#11 ·
Well as Prominus said ignore the sign anyways..1st thing..carry with you always..i can care less bout some scared young kid making a paper sign "no guns allowed" and hanging it in window. I would rather protect myself and loved ones rather then be dead. BUT I would be petrified to death if I put my gun in my car and it was stolen and used for a murder. never ever leave your gun in a car anyway. If you thinkin "hmmm but whats the chances of my car gettin broke into?" Well then all you gotta do is read Tatts812 thread a few lines down...and if his firearm would have been improperly left in his vehical, then sure as hell it would be on its way to the rioting ****bags elsewhere..jus my theory
Out here in Western Washington the Meth & Herion Addicts wait in the movie thearter parking lots until the movies start then go "Smash & Grab" they steal what ever you have on any value no matter how small of value it might be, then they take your car registration or insurance card and they have your address to go do a home invasion while your enjoying yourself at the movies, if they take your gun that can shoot anyone who might be in your home that didn't go to the movies. Believe me, it happens all the time out here. I would never leave a gun in the truck or car for any purpose.

#7 ·
Mags are expensive, I'd go back.

#8 ·
The law says you must report the lost of all ammo.

#9 ·
Yea then he goes back to claim it and the swat jumps on him sayin hes tried to pull a Columbine but failed and "why youd come in with ammo, for a makeshift bomb" and blah blah. Id chaulk it as a loss, they aint fingerprinting nothin..just out lil money

#10 · (Edited)
Okay.. I'll say it.

HOW THE **** DID YOU MANAGE THAT?

How and where do you carry your spare mag? You need to seriously reevaluate how you carry things if they can fall out and you don't notice.

#28 ·
It was in a nylon pocket holster, but it has little to no retention. Mostly because it wasn't really made for a single stack mag. I was at the AMC in Webster. The theater that has the reclining seats, and I think it must have slipped out while I was shifting around to get my phone out of another pocket to turn the ringer off. Needles to say, I ordered a different mag holster last night and will be using the bulky outside the waistband mag holster that came with my XDS till it comes in.

That being said, I can't in good conscience just leave it for the wrong sort to find. I went back and asked to speak with a manager. I told him I had lost something in the movie and he said "we get lots of lost stuff in these seats, what time was the movie you saw and what was the item?" I told him what time I was there and before I could tell him it was a pistol mag, he said "was it a clip of ammunition?" I then said
"yes" and told him I saw the sign and left the firearm in my car but brought the ammo with me. He then said "no biggie, we did have to turn it over to Webster PD though, so they have it now." He seemed real cool about the whole thing and I'm guessing this is probably not the first time this has happened. So I went on down to the PD station and, of course, they were closed. Now I have to wait till Monday to go get it. I think I will call the MC Sheriff's, report it and let them know where it is, just to be safe.

#12 ·
Agree with many of the previous posts. Let the mag go. Who wants an earful from an anti-gun movie theater manager? "Guns prohibited" signs on doors of private establishments have no legal weight. Worst thing that can happen is that you're asked to leave in the unlikely event you're caught carrying.

#15 ·
yup..like i had happen to me at the Civic Center Poughkeepsie, like it happened to me in the Accord Court house in Ulster, like it happened to me at Yankee Stadium LOL. Il carry to protect then live to appologize later, or my luck will run out. But 99% of the time youll be asked to just leave or store it in the car..if ya'll read some past posts..it isnt going in a car without me.

#17 ·
What evild said, any money lost is unacceptable. There are nothing wrong with carrying a magazine it is no different than anything else in your pocket, but as far as losing it in the first place a better carrying method should be considered.

#21 · (Edited)
Go ahead and report it as per the safe act. Comply . Now that I said that . Think about it. If you report it and they are going to question your ability to safeguard your firearm, etc. could they pull your permit. In reality that mag will not be tracked back to u . They might think it is gang bangers but probably will think an off duty cop dropped it. I doubt they are going to take fingerprints or DNA. If you go back just check the floor. Maybe they don't clean that well .

#22 ·
Honestly, I think this is a tougher question than some posters would make it seem. I would probably want to just let it go to avoid any hassles, but being the sort who simply wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it and the possible consequences, I don't think I could just leave it. The monetary factor that people have mentioned seems somewhat irrelevant when compared to the other elements, and that's coming from someone far too poor to be losing mags. Seriously though, in this culture it could cause a major incident. I can just see the sheep panicking now, and when your fingerprints turn up on it.. well, then you could have a much bigger problem then simply the hassle of reclaiming it or even reporting it to the authorities. There's just quite a number of scenarios I see turning out badly, so personally I would have to take responsibility for my mistake and do something about it; better now than later. A MAJOR part of carrying at all to me is all about people taking personal responsibilities, both for the protection of themselves and others as well as for thier mistakes and overall behaviors.

There's nothing you can do about the past other than do what you can to fix it. For the future however, for goodness sake get yourself a mag carrier to go on your gun belt and don't be carrying spares in your pocket. I say this not only to avoid similar future mistakes, but also because carrying in your pocket is dangerous in a situation where you might need it. Easy to fumble with, easy to get caught up in things, easy for things to get in and block the mag.. the list goes on.

As far as the signs, well.. people here are quick to tell you what to do but I think everyone has to follow their own conscience. Personally I would carry wherever it was legal to do so and ignore any signs trying to compel me to do otherwise. I would also agree that guns absolutely do not belong left in vehicles. If you're going to choose to abide by no weapons policies of any establishment, leave the guns at home.

#23 ·
I'd be torn like you but I'd let it go and chalk it up to what I like to call a "Teachable moment".

Lets say you go back and ask if anyone found it..... I doubt someone would turn it in that's earning $9 an hour. If they do, who knows if their manager would turn it in. But if they do, their corp policy is to probably call the police and have a police report filled out in which case they are to notify the responding agency if anyone comes back looking for it. You go to get your mag, police respond or contact you and that could go one of a few ways.

Honestly, too many variables depending on situation, agency, responding officers mood/take on the situation, etc.... And yes, an officers mood/opinion can play a role in outcomes of situations like this. Just like any other profession the person you interact with plays a large role in the outcome.

Moving on... Yes ammo can be dangerous if found by a child etc however it's not like you lost your gun. Magazine is useless without the firearm.

Chalk it up to a loss of money I the mag, the ammo and the mag-carrier your gonna buy (SHTF gear has a great horizontal one that I use that I got from a member here as well as a snagmag which is my next purchase).

#25 ·
That's a tough one. I don't have the firearms experience of other posters here, but one thing I do know is never leave your gun locked in your car. The spare mag for my FNS cost about $45. Considering the **** storm that could ensue, I'd just let it go. Seriously, what's a lousy $45 compared to legal costs, etc if this thing blew up.

#26 ·
Been waiting for media over reaction. I can see it. Headline in D&C, "MASS THEATER SHOOTING AVERTED!"
I can see several things maybe happening if found by maintenance sweeping up,
1. Over reaction, called police, dusted for prints, checked for DNA, watched all security tapes for would be mass killer.
2. Under reaction, tosses mag in lost and found box and puts under candy counter.
3. Janitor puts in pocket....
4. Next movie patron who comes along puts in their pocket.

#27 ·
As im thinking bout it..if you lost it...then you really dont even know if its in the theater at all..could be near your car or anywhere inbetween... As I posted b4.. Its done, gone, bye bye..dont go get incriminated by saying "did you find a clip with bullets in it"?!

#30 ·
When you go to pick up your mag, don't clench during the cavity search....

You might have a fifteen rounder up there after all..

#32 ·
So, just got off the phone with a girl at the Sheriff's office. She told me to call 911 and they may or may not send an officer out to possibly make a report, or since I already know it's at the Webster PD they may just meet me and turn it over. Seems a little excessive to call 911 since it's not an emergency. I'll just wait till tomorrow and call WPD first thing in the morning. Thanks for the input, insight, and wisecracks everyone.

#35 ·
Good call OP.

Contrary to many posts, they can in fact trace the mag back to you.. After all, it has your finger prints on it, the same ones you willingly submitted to receive the permit.

With that said, it's probably unlikely that they would go the distance, and it's even more unlikely that they could charge you with anything seeing as how mags and ammunition are not illegal in the theater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.