New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went to a movie today with a buddy and saw that there was a NO WEAPONS sign in the bottom corner of the door at the AMC theater we were going to. I turned around, locked my pistol in the car and went on in to watch the movie. Silently *****ing about it to myself all the while. Some time during the movie, the spare mag I carry with me fell out of my pocket and I didn't know it was missing until I got back home. What the hell do I do now? Not sure if I could get into some kind of trouble or not if I go back for it. Should I chalk up as a loss, go get it, or call the sheriff's department and let them know I'm a dumb ass and then go get it, just to be safe? Has this happened to anyone here and if so how did you handle it?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I would probably not say anything......but thinking about it what if it gets in the hands of a child under the age 18. You could be held liable for anything that happens to that child....

Next time ignore those signs they are meaningless.

Maybe go back to the theater and ask to speak the the manager. You are not going to get in any legal trouble for having a magazine in there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you do say something it may be better if you do not refer to it as a spare magazine. It may be better to let them assume you were separating the loaded magazine from the gun that you were forced to lock in the car.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I'd probably let it go. It's not inherently dangerous on its own and it cannot be connected to you in any way, unless you marked it of course.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well as Prominus said ignore the sign anyways..1st thing..carry with you always..i can care less bout some scared young kid making a paper sign "no guns allowed" and hanging it in window. I would rather protect myself and loved ones rather then be dead. BUT I would be petrified to death if I put my gun in my car and it was stolen and used for a murder. never ever leave your gun in a car anyway. If you thinkin "hmmm but whats the chances of my car gettin broke into?" Well then all you gotta do is read Tatts812 thread a few lines down...and if his firearm would have been improperly left in his vehical, then sure as hell it would be on its way to the rioting ****bags elsewhere..jus my theory

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Mags are expensive, I'd go back.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
The law says you must report the lost of all ammo.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yea then he goes back to claim it and the swat jumps on him sayin hes tried to pull a Columbine but failed and "why youd come in with ammo, for a makeshift bomb" and blah blah. Id chaulk it as a loss, they aint fingerprinting nothin..just out lil money

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Okay.. I'll say it.

HOW THE **** DID YOU MANAGE THAT?

How and where do you carry your spare mag? You need to seriously reevaluate how you carry things if they can fall out and you don't notice.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Well as Prominus said ignore the sign anyways..1st thing..carry with you always..i can care less bout some scared young kid making a paper sign "no guns allowed" and hanging it in window. I would rather protect myself and loved ones rather then be dead. BUT I would be petrified to death if I put my gun in my car and it was stolen and used for a murder. never ever leave your gun in a car anyway. If you thinkin "hmmm but whats the chances of my car gettin broke into?" Well then all you gotta do is read Tatts812 thread a few lines down...and if his firearm would have been improperly left in his vehical, then sure as hell it would be on its way to the rioting ****bags elsewhere..jus my theory
Out here in Western Washington the Meth & Herion Addicts wait in the movie thearter parking lots until the movies start then go "Smash & Grab" they steal what ever you have on any value no matter how small of value it might be, then they take your car registration or insurance card and they have your address to go do a home invasion while your enjoying yourself at the movies, if they take your gun that can shoot anyone who might be in your home that didn't go to the movies. Believe me, it happens all the time out here. I would never leave a gun in the truck or car for any purpose.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Agree with many of the previous posts. Let the mag go. Who wants an earful from an anti-gun movie theater manager? "Guns prohibited" signs on doors of private establishments have no legal weight. Worst thing that can happen is that you're asked to leave in the unlikely event you're caught carrying.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Agree with many of the previous posts. Let the mag go. Who wants an earful from an anti-gun movie theater manager? "Guns prohibited" signs on doors of private establishments have no legal weight. Worst thing that can happen is that you're asked to leave in the unlikely event you're caught carrying.
yup..like i had happen to me at the Civic Center Poughkeepsie, like it happened to me in the Accord Court house in Ulster, like it happened to me at Yankee Stadium LOL. Il carry to protect then live to appologize later, or my luck will run out. But 99% of the time youll be asked to just leave or store it in the car..if ya'll read some past posts..it isnt going in a car without me.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Let it go my ass, I would want my mag back. Especially if it's a Sig mag, they are way expensive. Plus, don't give asshats like that your monies. And, they signs don't mean diddly.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What evild said, any money lost is unacceptable. There are nothing wrong with carrying a magazine it is no different than anything else in your pocket, but as far as losing it in the first place a better carrying method should be considered.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Can you please link the statue that supports your statement.
only thing I could find was loss of ammo with the loss or theft of a firearm or loss of ammo as a dealer.
"S 400.10 Report of theft or loss of a firearm, rifle or shotgun. 1. (a) Any owner or other person lawfully in possession of: (i) a
firearm, rifle or, shotgun who suffers the loss or theft of said weapon;
(ii) ammunition as well as a firearm, rifle or shotgun who suffers the
loss or theft of such ammunition as well as a firearm, rifle or shotgun;
or (iii) ammunition and is a dealer in firearms or seller of ammunition
who suffers the loss or theft of such ammunition shall within
twenty-four hours of the discovery of the loss or theft report the facts
and circumstances of the loss or theft to a police department or
sheriff's office.
(b) Whenever a person reports the theft or loss of a firearm, rifle,
shotgun or ammunition to any police department or sheriff's office, the
officer or department receiving such report shall forward notice of such
theft or loss to the division of state police via the New York Statewide
Police Information Network. The notice shall contain information in
compliance with the New York Statewide Police Information Network
Operating Manual, including the caliber, make, model, manufacturer's
name and serial number, if any, and any other distinguishing number or
identification mark on the weapon.
2. The division of state police shall receive, collect and file the
information referred to in subdivision one of this section. The division
shall cooperate, and undertake to furnish or make available to law
enforcement agencies this information, for the purpose of coordinating
law enforcement efforts to locate such weapons.
3. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a violation of
paragraph (a) of subdivision one of this section shall be a class A
misdemeanor."

Article 400 Penal Law - Licensing Provisions Relating to Firearms

·
Registered
558 Posts
That sucks good luck with whatever u decide to do

1 - 20 of 65 Posts