New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Yugo SKS from a buddy, gave me a very nice deal since I'm short on cash for now, the gas tube seems to have some rotational play in it, but the tube does not have any give backwards or forwards, it was definitely shot before so I have no doubts about its functionality I am just wondering if this could become a problem down the road?

More details:
I cleaned it very thoroughly and it is all matching and the action is smooth, bore seems to have some old residue on it that I cant get off but I'll just heat up the barrel with some mag dumps and keep my bore snake handy and that should fix that other then that is is shiny. I've wanted a Yugo for awhile, I like the muzzle long ass muzzle breaks on them.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Does the gas system on these have a gasket on them? Cause the one I have kept having issues with ejecting and I ended up putting tape on the tube. It would work a few times then the tape would blow off.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not think it has a gasket, its just a valve, I haven't shot it yet I'll see what happens when I do, was just wondering if this was a problem so I could get it fixed before hand.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
There are no gaskets in the gas tubes. As far as rotating, I believe mine moved alittle if twisted BUT that was only the cover over the actual tube and not the tube itself so it wouldn't go far at all. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the gas tube itself should roatate at all. Been awhile since my last Yugo and really can't remember.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is the actual tube moving a little, but until I fire it I won't know if it is a problem, I don't think there will be, if I remember right my SAR-1 AK tube did the same thing a tiny bit but since I got the new Mako foregrip where the top and bottom fore end pieces snap into each other it is solid.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Moving alittle is ok, as long as you're not observing excessive play as in back an forth when the tube is mounted and locked down, you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its just rotational movement too, back and forth it doesn't budge at all, I've been looking at Yugos for awhile, glad I got this one :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Would you be willing to take a few vids of the play you have before and after shooting it, cause I have play in mine too but mine is jacked unless I tape it.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you be willing to take a few vids of the play you have before and after shooting it, cause I have play in mine too but mine is jacked unless I tape it.
Yea when I get some time and ammo to shoot I'll do that and post them on here for people to see.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Gas leak huh?? There's a trick to that ... Peramtex OR just buy a new Tapco gas tube and PRESTO!! No more problems. (I'm assuming you have a gas leak if you're taping it)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Gas leak huh?? There's a trick to that ... Peramtex OR just buy a new Tapco gas tube and PRESTO!! No more problems. (I'm assuming you have a gas leak if you're taping it)
Yup, just order a new one. The ******* way isn't cutting it anymore.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at new ones just in case, not digging the fact that they are all polymer with a picatinny rail on them, wish they matched to Yugo wood grips.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The new one will a temp until I can repair the original one. Just hope that's the issue.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I looked at new ones just in case, not digging the fact that they are all polymer with a picatinny rail on them, wish they matched to Yugo wood grips.
You both should look on Ebay and other auction sites for original Yugo SKS gas tubes. They do go up here and there and sell fairly cheap. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts