New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bank he works for (Portuguese), filed for bankruptcy a while back, and they've been restructuring. The state bank took over some portions of the business, which left my hubby's office without a broker/dealer license. That means he's been on "paid leave" the last week. He just got a call from human resources to come in today. He's on his way to NY now.

It's not very likely that they've managed to find another firm to pair with, so we're pretty sure this is about settling up with a termination package. Ugh. On the positive side, this may be the kick-in-the-ass we needed to get serious about a full-time move to PA. Plus, the teachers in our school district here are on strike, so while most schools have started, we haven't. Maybe we'll just enroll the kids in school out here. Who knows?

eta: there goes the KelTec. :(

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
That's a downer. But on the other hand sometimes change can be a good thing and work out better in the long run.

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done exactly zero sewing since we've been out here for the summer. Feeling slightly guilty for making hubby drag all my machines out here. Of course, if we end up out here there are four fewer things to pack up. :)

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
I have always said, things happen for a reason. If this is so, make a new start and welcome the new opportunity. Lord knows it has happened to me and I am better for it.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have always said, things happen for a reason. If this is so, make a new start and welcome the new opportunity. Lord knows it has happened to me and I am better for it.
well said doc. in my experience when one door closes another one usually opens, you just have to reach for the doorknob.. good luck to you and the hubby swilliams...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
As stated by others.... Events like these in life open new doors to bigger and better things. We don't know each other but from your posts I can tell your a wake charge and move forward person that tolerates minimal crap in life.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

PS don't give up on the KelTec

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sorry to hear this. On the positive side at least you'll get some dough rather than just see ya, don't let the door....
Hopefully the new door opening will be an awesome one. Good luck to you and yours.

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still haven't heard from him yet. I know his meeting was at 4:00, so he's probably out drinking, lol. Hey C, did you decide whether you're going to hang up your shingle on Park Ave?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Haven't made a decision yet but my old boss (job before the last one) just reached out to me tonight with a promising development. He's on BOD of a company whose president is looking for somebody to do analytics. Company is in my industry and my old boss thinks I'd be a great fit. He's going to set up meeting after Labor Day. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Glad to hear that cgrutt. Hope all goes well.

Get a job out of that ****hole city though. Your old commute sounded ****t-tay.
Thanks. Unfortunately, this one would be about as far downtown Manhattan as you can get. Would probably have a nice view of the Statute of Liberty though, lol... I can deal with the commute, have been doing it for over 20 years. Been a nice break but I need to get back to work soon...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Ah hell, who wants to pay NYS taxes on their income anyway. Good luck to you both. Hopefully it works out to the better real soon.

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just don't forget our plight when you're enjoying your full time rights in PA.
Never! Otherwise, it becomes our plight, too. Looks like there's a good chance that the Democrat Tom Wolf might win election for governor. He is NOT a supporter of gun rights (surprise, surprise). I'm still figuring out the political lay of the land here, but it would seem that the libs are gaining an edge. Probably because so many people are like my neighbors. Not one of them votes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts