New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new safe since I only have a plastic rifle case with a lock and a small .5cf safe bolted to my shelf. I'm only looking for something big enough for 2 rifles(possibly 4 if I put my brothers guns in it), a few pistols, and ammo. Any suggestions?

Would prefer sub 500 but $600 is pretty much my budget.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Fort Knox Safes

Consider that a (fire rated) safe is for more than just guns. When I put stuff in my safe, its for more than just keeping out the bad guys. Its for anything that I wouldnt be able to replace or would take a lot of work to replace. Pictures, passports, car titles, birth certificates, my grandfathers war diary, bullion, and yes, guns...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I would always recommend a Fort knox, but they are out of you budget. I've seen fairly substantial safes in the $500 range at Lowes, Gander Mountain, Tractor Supply and Dick's. Would recommend going bigger than you think you need because your collection might grow in the future. If purpose is to keep them away from kids and amature thiefs, any of the brands sold by these companies should do the trick. If you're after decent fire protection, you'll probably need to spend a little more. In general, heavier is better and stay away from cosmetic add ons that add to price but don't offer higher protection. Good idea to bolt down on four corners (as opposed to two in the middle). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fort Knox Safes

Consider that a (fire rated) safe is for more than just guns. When I put stuff in my safe, its for more than just keeping out the bad guys. Its for anything that I wouldnt be able to replace or would take a lot of work to replace. Pictures, passports, car titles, birth certificates, my grandfathers war diary, bullion, and yes, guns...
I have a safe already that is fire rated. I just wanted something to keep the guns in to keep my nephew out of while I'm not home. (Granted he does know not to go into my room but who know's if he will get curious as he gets older (he's only 7 right now) I have a lock on my closet that they're kept in but the latch is pretty crappy and I wouldn't exactly trust it lol. I always keep the ammo separate from the gun's my AR is usually on the bottom against my file cabinet with the bolt locked open, and the mags are up on the top shelf (only one is loaded) and most of the time when I'm home my AR is within arms reach and the mag is on my night stand. If I go out everything gets locked in the closet. (there have been times where I just leave cause I'm in a hurry and forget to close or lock it which is mainly what I'm worried about since I was outside working on the truck and when I came inside to make dinner for myself my nephew was sitting in my room playing xbox and my closet door was open slightly since I never fully closed it since I originally only went outside to get the mail from the mail man then saw the part showed up and got side tracked. Luckily the magazine was up on the top shelf far from his reach and he know's better than to look through my stuff. I told him he should ask first, said he did except I didn't even notice he had come home so maybe he had asked my sister(his mom) and she said it was ok as long as I said it was ok and he just came in anyways since he couldn't find me. I talked to my sister and told her that if he wanted to come in to either call me if I'm not easily found or just have him come in and ask me if I was in here.

Sorry for the long post. In short I just want to watch out for my nephew. If he wasn't living here I'd have my guns out. I have all the important stuff locked in the safe. I just can't fit my rifles in there. I might just pick up a cheap stack-on cabinet from walmart for 80-90 bucks or whatever it is they sell them for and keep everything in there. I just try to think of it as less is more when it comes to him because if he saw a huge safe he would think "WOAH what's in there?" and want to find out vs just the small safe, and the gun's hidden in the closet.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that one. But I really don't feel like cutting my closet wall since there is nothing on the other side of it lol it leads directly into the room that is under the steps that has the water softener in it.

I saw this on when I was looking to see how much blades for my saw were. I might just get it for the sake of it being cheap as hell and big enough for my guns and my brother's guns and because my nephew wouldn't be able to accidentally open it.
Executive Safe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts