New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I currently like to use my Winchester M70 for 100+ yard target shooting. It is the only center fire rifle I own with a scope. (I have a 10/22 with a 3x9 scope for plinking at shorter ranges) The M70 is a MY1965 chambered in .225 with a bull/heavy barrel. It has a Unertl target scope also from the 60's and is a 10x. It is mildly expensive to reload, though not too bad. I've actually never bought or fired "factory" ammo through this rifle, only hand loads.

I can go up to 200 yards at my private range. I am thinking of outfitting another rifle with a scope for longer range target practice that uses cheaper ammo (.223). I have a few AR15's but both have iron sights and shorter barrels. I am thinking about purchasing a new upper with a 20" bull barrel, and am contemplating getting it as a flat top rather than standard A2 so I can mount a scope. How do you guys like the AR as a long range scope weapon system? I can start researching, but what scopes do you guys like for these rifles at the ranges I will be shooting at? I see Midway has blem Leupold scopes on sale... now might be the time to buy....

Also, I am not a hardcore benchrest kinda guy. I'm not looking to spend big $$$$

I look forward to your replies.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I love reloading as much as I do shooting. The 223/5.56 brass is the best deal going right now. The 22 calibers are my favorite round, will you be selling your model 70?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely won't be selling the .225. I enjoy reloading as well, just thinking about making a "modern" or better put, "new" rifle to scope and target shoot longer ranges with. I also like the .22 cal. rounds. Currently I have been selling my .223 brass recovered from my private range after shooting my AR's...

Maybe a 22-250? .270?

Does anyone here have a flat top AR with a good scope mounted on it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice weapon!

I am all over the map this week... now I'm considering a M48 Mauser and mounting a scope on it... the ammo might be more expensive.. but I am also looking for a military surplus bolt action.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do you want super accuracy, or long range? Both?

I"m really starting to love my AR10, was out banging gongs at 400 yards today, I think I went 9 out of 10 shots at 400 yards baack to back... It was a blast.

Ordering another distance gong for the next 100 this week, have gongs at 250, 300, and 400 yards right now.

My next gun is a heavy barrel .308, like a Rem 700 or similar.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Im in the market for a 20-24" 6.5 Grendel upper for my AR for hunting and long range target. Look into this caliber. It has excellent ballistics.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions guys... I will keep pondering and do some research... this will not be an impulse buy!

·
Registered
180 Posts
NRA and CMP service fifle matches like the Presidents 100 shoot out to 600 yards with Iron sights on a service rifle. I am sure that you could do well with your ar 15 20" flat top out at range. I shoot regularly at 200 yards open sights. With a scoped gun at 200 it is like cheating. I have a swede that is scoped that shot 1/2 inch at 200. I would like a AR scoped for the same reson you want one. I have a lowwer ready to go in the safe.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
The best I got for long range is a 20" AR chambered in 6.8 SPC with a 3X9 Trijicon scope. Haven't actually shot it past 100 yrds yet but anxiously waiting a get together with some other members with similar builds...

Itching for a .308 lately. Not sure if I want to stick with the AR platform (AR10) or go old school with a standard bolt action.

Whichever way you go, have fun at it. That's what we're all here for (well most of us anyway, lol).

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I dont understand...I used to qualify once a year in the Corps with a used 20" 1:7 M16, 62g. I'm a fourth award expert and our KD qual range reached out with 10 rounds to 500yd with irons only. I was an average shooter. (low to mid expert score) Whats wrong with this setup?

My local range has a 5 and 600yrd line and you have to qual at that distance with the range master before you can use it. The benchrest guys laughed at me when I showed up and went prone with my irons. Then they shut up when I got done.

I'm not trying to show you how big my d*ck is, but there is a question about engaging a target at that range, escape and evade, or close the distance...If that platform is able to reach out like that, and is sufficient for the Corps where every Marine is a Rifleman, why isnt it good enough?

That being said, I am in the market for a Remington 700 of some kind in .308 ;)

(and only because my budget wont allow me a 338LM!)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got the .308 bug again myself!
In .308 I am shopping for a highly tuned NM M1A.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm not trying to show you how big my d*ck is, but there is a question about engaging a target at that range, escape and evade, or close the distance...If that platform is able to reach out like that, and is sufficient for the Corps where every Marine is a Rifleman, why isnt it good enough?
Easy.... some people think a bigger heavier bullet is better at those distances, and how a monster scope is to. Will a .223 do it Yup, will a .308 do it Yup. Has it been done with open sights... YUP. But it doesnt matter to us though does it, the original thread poster is all that matters. So if he wants a 308 or whatever for long distance, what's it to us to try to change his mind. And this day and age, another gun in the safe is never a bad thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Always been impressed with Savage .308s for the price. Long barrel 24", be real careful with synthetic stocks, some good glass, 9x40 properly mounted, decent bipod and a muzzle brake. Should start with good groups at 500 yard and work up from there. You can do better for more $$$ but for the price it is a decent bit of kit.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hey guys.

I can go up to 200 yards at my private range. I am thinking of outfitting another rifle with a scope for longer range target practice that uses cheaper ammo (.223). I have a few AR15's but both have iron sights and shorter barrels. I am thinking about purchasing a new upper with a 20" bull barrel, and am contemplating getting it as a flat top rather than standard A2 so I can mount a scope. How do you guys like the AR as a long range scope weapon system? I can start researching, but what scopes do you guys like for these rifles at the ranges I will be shooting at?

Also, I am not a hardcore benchrest kinda guy. I'm not looking to spend big $$$$

I look forward to your replies.
Easy.... some people think a bigger heavier bullet is better at those distances, and how a monster scope is to. Will a .223 do it Yup, will a .308 do it Yup. Has it been done with open sights... YUP. But it doesnt matter to us though does it, the original thread poster is all that matters. So if he wants a 308 or whatever for long distance, what's it to us to try to change his mind. And this day and age, another gun in the safe is never a bad thing.
I thought I was answering the OP's question. He asked about the .223 AR platform for long range and asked about scopes. My opinion was that it is good enough and that irons are capable of doing that...

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Definitely won't be selling the .225. I enjoy reloading as well, just thinking about making a "modern" or better put, "new" rifle to scope and target shoot longer ranges with. I also like the .22 cal. rounds. Currently I have been selling my .223 brass recovered from my private range after shooting my AR's...

Maybe a 22-250? .270?

Does anyone here have a flat top AR with a good scope mounted on it?
I have 2 flat top 223s with Nikon prostaffs mounted on them. I also have a flat top AR 308 with a Nikon mounted on it. All 3x9s only difference in them are the size of the bell 40 and 50 mm. They are fun shooters donth think you could go wrong with a flat top with a scope. I think someone is making an upper in .225 wssm if you wanted to go that route, they are speedy at about 1400 bucks without optics. In any case what ever you choose flat tops can reach out and touch someone if you do your part.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I thought I was answering the OP's question. He asked about the .223 AR platform for long range and asked about scopes. My opinion was that it is good enough and that irons are capable of doing that...
Some of us have old eyes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts