New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the law has changed concerning conceal carry in NY, how soon can someone apply for Conceal carry permit in the NYC area, for self defense only, without the fear of getting denied.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
without the fear of getting denied
My guess? Never.

NY, and NYC, will do everything in their power to circumvent or outright ignore the SCOTUS ruling. If things actually change here in that regard, I think it will be a long time down the road.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My guess? Never.

NY, and NYC, will do everything in their power to circumvent or outright ignore the SCOTUS ruling. If things actually change here in that regard, I think it will be a long time down the road.
I fear the only thing this ruling will do is cause the lefty lemmings to go full steam ahead with outlandish rules. Anyone who thinks this is a win, I think will be sadly mistaken in the end. I certainly hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reams of notices of intent to file claim just might persuade them they would be better served to follow the ruling. Where would we be if Brandon Koch and Robert Nash had the defeatist attitudes like some of you here. Man up and resist, stop giving up and fleeing the state. It will take work and commitment to make this state livable again. Stop letting someone else do it for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reams of notices of intent to file claim just might persuade them they would be better served to follow the ruling. Where would we be if Brandon Koch and Robert Nash had the defeatist attitudes like some of you here. Man up and resist, stop giving up and fleeing the state. It will take work and commitment to make this state livable again. Stop letting someone else do it for you.
I know I'm going to be denied. But today I submitted my request in writing to the judge here in Rockland County. They're still operating on the assumption that I must present "just cause" to get my permit unrestricted. (It's currently Sportsman/Residence).
So under the Just cause reasoning I put Self Defence as permitted by nysrpa v Bruen.

If/when denied maybe I can add my name to a class action suit. It may unfortunately take another lawsuit to make some counties comply with the result of the last lawsuit.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The rest of NYS might, but I wouldn't hold my breath for NYC. As it is NYC already has a different set of rules when it comes to firearms.

"Mayor Adams, NYPD commissioner say old rules still apply after SCOTUS strikes down concealed carry law."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjCqN2X1dD4AhWskYkEHXOUAa4QFnoECAcQAQ&url=https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/mayor-adams-nypd-commissioner-say-old-rules-still-apply-after-scotus-strikes-down-new-york-concealed-carry-law/&usg=AOvVaw3vzSGQ39f84xlaYOJClFpA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Expect any further restrictions/infringements to be challenged in Court. If NY is going to play cute with the Court's ruling, they will rack up more losses. As to restrictions against carrying in subways etc:. I would expect that the City will find a way to keep illegal as well as legally owned firearms out of their system. If they can't keep illegal possessors from carrying concealed on the subway, how are they going to prevent legal possessors from doing the same? I think the same screening process as we do for airplanes would work for the subway and bus system. No one would complain about the wait times, for additional safety. Isn't that right?

·
Registered
278 Posts
A few forums reported after the ruling that they called the pistol license clerk and heard that the Target Sportsman restrictions are gone.
It turns out, the one clerk said only unrestricted is a full carry. From reading the opinion, the unrestricted is now legal to carry concealed in New York City.
He said you would still need to amend your license to remove restrictions to unrestricted.
I doubt any County will be quick to fulfill applications in a few weeks. This will take over a year with the new laws being passed.

·
Registered
606 Posts
NYC’s carry laws are rooted in a law, ironically from 1911, created by Big Tim Sullivan, a crooked / corrupt NY Democrat politician, who died of syphillis, that affected his mental ability, paid off by the Irish mob who wanted newly arriving Italian immigrants disarmed and denied the right to protect themselves. Think “Gangs of NY”, and look at the dealings there, but substitute the treatment of the Irish with Italian. and Big Tim (the Irish version of Bill the Butcher) created these laws specifically for denying an immigrant group rights, knowing they could not afford the right, Hmm, sounds fair Mrs Hochul ? 10x worse then what you state makes voter ID unfair.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I know I'm going to be denied. But today I submitted my request in writing to the judge here in Rockland County. They're still operating on the assumption that I must present "just cause" to get my permit unrestricted. (It's currently Sportsman/Residence).
So under the Just cause reasoning I put Self Defence as permitted by nysrpa v Bruen.

If/when denied maybe I can add my name to a class action suit. It may unfortunately take another lawsuit to make some counties comply with the result of the last lawsuit.
Why do you think you are going to be denied ? They’ll tell you to put sportsman prior to outright deny.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why even try to get the restrictions removed from your permit? The restriction have been judged invalid and that (seems to me) means that without doing anything else your restricted permit is now unrestricted and you may carry anywhere where a person with a permit marked "unrestricted" may carry. It was never against the law to carry your pistol with a restricted permit, it just meant that if you were caught doing so, and if the LEO wanted to push the issue, you could have your permit revoked.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why even try to get the restrictions removed from your permit? The restriction have been judged invalid and that (seems to me) means that without doing anything else your restricted permit is now unrestricted and you may carry anywhere where a person with a permit marked "unrestricted" may carry. It was never against the law to carry your pistol with a restricted permit, it just meant that if you were caught doing so, and if the LEO wanted to push the issue, you could have your permit revoked.
So what your saying is that everyone with restrictions on their license should just start outright concealed carry and worry about the law if and when it comes to it? I think showing good faith and proof that you made an effort to have all restrictions removed from your license might be in your favor if it comes to any legal action.

·
Registered
18 Posts
People should do what they are comfortable doing. The SCOTUS as judged such restrictions as being unconstitutional. That's the last and final word on the subject. I can't imagine a judge now revoking a permit for anyone following the Supreme Courts ruling on the matter. I've had a pistol permit for 42 years and no LEO in all that time has ever asked to see my permit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After the courts decision why do you need a pistol permit?
To my understanding the SCOTUS decision simply challenges the idea of being denied an unrestricted (full carry) permit due to not showing 'proper cause'. The interpretation of proper cause was left in the hands of licensing officers (usually a judge or law enforcement officer) and they commonly denied people who they thought failed to show a reason for proper cause.

SCOTUS ruling does not throw away NY state's requirement of applying and being granted a pistol permit. IE. it does not mean anyone can just go out and buy a pistol and carry it. You still need to go through the steps, the application, the firearms safety course, the character reference letters, the fingerprinting, the criminal background check, proof of citizenship or resident alien, the passport photos etc. The only difference now is that when you submit your application and choose FULL CARRY (unrestricted firearm license), they aren't supposed to decline you based on not showing 'proper cause'. However according to people who are applying for full carry or amendments to remove restrictions to be allowed full carry we have yet to see how the licensing officers are responding to those requests.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts