New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I got my Mosin and I just got my ammo. Hopefully I can go shooting soon.

But I'd like to get a few things for it. I'm looking for stripper clips, and there are a bunch of sellers out there and I was wondering if you guys had an input regarding good deals on them, or which ones to avoid. So yeah if you have a preferred seller of clips please let me know!

Also looking for a good sling. I'd prefer that it look the part, but it doesn't need to be original or have any real historical value.

Lastly I'm looking for a tear drop tool. My mosin didn't come with one.

Also, just another thought: how important is it that I check the headspacing on my mosin? I bought it from AIM surplus and had it transferred to me from my local FFL. It's not a gun show pickup so I feel safe with it. I'd rather not spend 50 bucks for the head space gauges if I don't need to. If this is foolish, please let me know! (kindly :p)

Thanks!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
that's what i was looking to hear! thanks!
and i was lookin at those clips earlier, just wanted to be sure they weren't junk.
You can only get so high quality with stamped sheet metal. Mine do what they are supposed to. I use the "Put my index finger over the front of the top round and pull up a bit and jam my thumb down on the back until they all go in" method. Not the "thumb wrapped over the whole clip method."

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bought a silverish tin of ammo at a gun show that, inside the tin, was packaged in little cheese wedge cartons tied with string. Every carton contains rounds IN stripper clips. That was the most economical way to do it, for me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a silverish tin of ammo at a gun show that, inside the tin, was packaged in little cheese wedge cartons tied with string. Every carton contains rounds IN stripper clips. That was the most economical way to do it, for me.
SGAmmo used to carry those tins. I'm kicking myself for not buying them when they were in stock but i didn't have a mosin at that time so it didn't make sense. oh well!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can only get so high quality with stamped sheet metal. Mine do what they are supposed to. I use the "Put my index finger over the front of the top round and pull up a bit and jam my thumb down on the back until they all go in" method. Not the "thumb wrapped over the whole clip method."
yeah thumb on top pulling up the first round works for me.
yeah ik they're not too different but I've have bad experience with some clips before being too stiff, whereas some are great out of the packaging.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts

·
Registered
9,136 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Well, the 7.62x54r headspaces from the rim. I think the bolt face would have to be pretty messed up for it to be out of spec.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
today we went and shot our mosins. my hex closed and fired fine. my one friend's hex closed and fired fine. my other friend however, his tula round receiver would not chamber a round :(

any ideas? would like to try to remedy this. thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.