New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this one on my "To Do" list for this summer. Who's been up and what do I need to know before I go?

TIA

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I went up it last year right after Hurricane Irene. First off have you hiked other high peaks before? How would you say you are as a hiker? What time of year do you plan on going?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Mt. Marcy is actually possible to peek as a day trip from the Loj, I do believe.

Is Marcy all you want to do, or do you want to spend more time around there?

·
Registered
369 Posts
adirondike mountain club has awwesome publications on trip planning. some of the titles can be found or ordered by the book store or library.

·
6,795 Posts
I did Marcy in a day, you just have to start out in the dark and do it when the sun is out longer. I would suggest September because its cooler out as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did it July 4th a couple years ago. Perfect weather. I think it took me 4 1/2 hours for the trip up and the same time on the way down. Great day hike.

·
6,795 Posts
Another thing to consider is that I think there might still be some detours because I dont think they replaced Marcy Damn bridge yet from the Hurricaine damage. Be prepared for a steep final ascent too. It was steeper I think then Algonquin. But marcy seemed easier even though it was longer

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went up it last year right after Hurricane Irene. First off have you hiked other high peaks before? How would you say you are as a hiker? What time of year do you plan on going?
My fitness level is "good" so I'll have to train up for a 15 mile hike for sure. Planning on August right now (a weekday trip) and will do the Lake George area peaks leading up to this one.

How can I find out about the status of the Marcy Dam bridge? I didn't notice anything about that on the DEC web site. My current idea is to do this in one day and travel light, but I'm open to camping on the mountain too. Is Marcy Dam the preferred spot for camping?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
My fitness level is "good" so I'll have to train up for a 15 mile hike for sure. Planning on August right now (a weekday trip) and will do the Lake George area peaks leading up to this one.

How can I find out about the status of the Marcy Dam bridge? I didn't notice anything about that on the DEC web site. My current idea is to do this in one day and travel light, but I'm open to camping on the mountain too. Is Marcy Dam the preferred spot for camping?
There is no camping allowed above the tree line, and you can only camp in designated areas. Marcy Dam is a good spot to camp. Also of note, if you plan to spend the night, you're required to put your food in a bear canister, as bear bags are prohibited (those bears got smart, and learned how to get to the bags).

·
6,795 Posts
camp fires at marcy damn are prohibited as well per the DEC. The bridge may still be out but they have another bridge up somewhere to cross. I had to cross the creek by rock hopping but they have put up a bridge since then and the new trail sections are marked. If you leave right before sunrise you should make it back with plenty of sunlight left.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fires are prohibited? That sucks. I did read that you can rent the bear canisters...any idea what the rental fee runs?

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
pretty sure you can rent them from EMS too.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Mt. Marcy is actually possible to peek as a day trip from the Loj, I do believe.
Through Panther Gorge? That would be 10 miles to panther gorge plus whatever it is to the top of marcy and back. Way too far for a day trip if it's the place i'm thinking of.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Through Panther Gorge? That would be 10 miles to panther gorge plus whatever it is to the top of marcy and back. Way too far for a day trip if it's the place i'm thinking of.
I'd heard you could day trip it from Heart Lake up the "front" side. I did it as a 3 day trip through Avalanche Pass and up the back side.

·
6,795 Posts
it is a day trip from the Loj. I think its like 12 or 14 miles round trip. You dont go through panther gorge either. As long as you go up and down the same way.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can rent them from the High Peaks Information center for $5/night for 1-2 nights.

HIKING AND BACKPACKING IN THE HIGH PEAKS
Great link...thank you!

I stopped by an EMS store at lunch and they gave me some good tips for how/what to pack and trip suggestions. Camping at the Dam seems to be the best idea for an overnight with weekdays being a better idea than crowded weekends. Even though there are a bunch of lean-to's if you get there early enough, many people opt to also pitch a tent in case of rain. ADK has a $5 rental rate on the bear cans while EMS rents them for twice that price. No real concern about bears other than properly storing the food so bear spray and whatnot doesn't seem to be worth packing.

On another note, I'm amazed at how small and light some of these tents get! Even the sleeping bags only run 2-3 lbs. Without question, the heaviest thing we'll be packing is the water.

·
6,795 Posts
Yea they have a lot of really light equipment but it isnt all cheap. Hiking Marcy from the Loj is very doable in a single day. The group I went with last year was not the greatest fitness group lol. The year before that people were always passing us on the trail lol. So last year we trained less and still did Marcy in a single say and even spent 30 to 40 minutes on top and took plenty of short breaks on the trail.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
usmcvet- I'm thinking we could do the hike itself in a day, but the bigger issue is getting to/from there from Saratoga County. We'd have to figure in an overnight somewhere along the way. I'm leaning towards driving up early and hiking to the Dam by lunch to set camp, then completing the hike the next day and driving right home afterwards. Or we could just play it safe and stay a cheap hotel two nights and just do the hike in one day.

Anyone have suggestions for cheap hotels in the area if we go that route?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts