New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am researching the next acquisition. I am trying to decide whether to get a Px4 Storm or a Sig.

I have shot a friend's Sig P226 and will shoot other friends' P229 and P239 before I decide. Their appeal and quality is obviously legendary and I know everyone who has them loves them.

But, that Px4 felt real comfortable in my hand, and I like the way they look. My son has talked to some RPD who carry them and they seem to like them. I hear the rotary barrel can reduce (felt?) recoil - not that the recoil on the Sig was an issue for me. I have not decided full size vs compact yet.

I'll be able to swing the cost of either, and while it will sure be nice to save several hundred on the Beretta, that's not a driving factor. Plus I already have a Beretta hat so I got that going for me....

Anyone own one or shot one extensively? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

LMS

·
Registered
229 Posts
LMS, My wife's first gun was a 9mm Px4 storm and she loved it! works like a champ but has fallen out of favor over her glocks. She still likes to shoot it but prefers the glock then the DA/SA on Px4.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I owned a fullsize in .45ACP for a couple months. It was my first .45, and I traded it for a USP Compact. I then traded that for a HK45.

I personally won't own a weapon that takes more than 10 round magazines out of the box, because I hate having a gimped gun. So it was .45 for me. If there weren't magazine restrictions, I would probably own a 9mm PX4.

Pros: The trigger was phenomenal out of the box. The slide was silky smooth on the rails, racking it was enjoyable. I loved the ergonomics, I loved the looks. It was extremely accurate for me. Breaking it down and cleaning it was very simple and enjoyable. Fit and finish were excellent, it struck me as a top tier weapon, where I place brands like Sig and HK.

Cons: I and Tmyoungjr experienced "trigger sting." Basically, after one or two shots, your trigger slides lower on the trigger and gets pinched in between the trigger and the trigger guard. I could have had this remedied by Beretta, maybe, I did not try. I also disliked the manual safety/decocker. I hate flip-up safeties, they should be flip down. It's also a big pain to use as a decocker because you have to put it on safe and take it back off. The Sig or HK method is much easier and more user friendly, considering 90% of the people are going to carry it hammer down, safety off.

In retrospect, I was very early in my handgun-buying career and was doing a lot of buying/selling. If it wasn't for the trigger sting I probably would have kept it, and I could have had that fixed. If you are ok with the setup of the safety/decocker, or get a variant without the safety, I would highly recommend the PX4.

That said, in your position, I would take the Sig every time. Especially because you can get pre-ban mags for it. P229 is a GREAT gun, Glock 19-sized, pre-bans available, shoots straight every time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love mine, I have 850 rounds with no failures, allot of that being cheap (Tula / CCI) ammo through it. The accuracy is good and l like the stock trigger. I always find it easier to get my follow-up shot on target faster with lesser recoil and with a SA trigger. I personally bought the P4X because of the safety / decocker being a newbie to CC and used to military carry requirements. I have nothing against Glock or the other Polymer Pistol Manufacturers. I would prefer that the safety / decocker operates the same as my RIA 1911 Tactical with ambi safety. The field stripping / maintenance is very easy as well. It's a bit chubby but manageable for CCW with a IWB holster. I chose a White Hat Holster recommended on the Beretta forum) which has been great

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a PX4 Storm in 9mm. I love it. It is one of my regular carry guns. I like that you can adjust the back strap to fit your hand. Great feel and very accurate. I am ready to buy another PX4 Storm but this time in .45 acp. I would strongly recommend the Beretta. They been doing it for 500 years so they must be doing something right.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have over 1.5k rds. thru my PX4 9mm fullsize (F). Ocassional hickup feeding crap steel ammo, very acurrate @50' w/adjustable sights. Pistol is not too big for everyday carry. It is now my bedroom gun, I prefer to carry pistols w/less controls. IMOP very good gun for a very good price.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have a PX4 Storm in 9mm. I love it. It is one of my regular carry guns. I like that you can adjust the back strap to fit your hand. Great feel and very accurate. I am ready to buy another PX4 Storm but this time in .45 acp. I would strongly recommend the Beretta. They been doing it for 500 years so they must be doing something right.
If you do, the one I traded is still in the case at American Sportsman in East Rochester. It has trijicon night sights installed at the factory. I can vouch for its quality :)

Since it's been there so long, Fred might give you a deal on it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
how much are they asking for it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts