New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one? Anyone shot one? Looking for feedback. Wife is most likely going to buy a 20ga Franchi semi auto in a week or 2. Comes with 3 or 5 chokes, nice vented barrel. She wanted something smaller and lighter than my 391 - it seemed like a good fit, but i don't know much about the brand. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I have a Model 48 in 20 gauge improved cylinder choke that I bought about 40 years ago. That gun and I will never part. It functions flawlessly, it's very light, and it shoots like a dream. When I was originally looking for a new shotgun way back when, I went into a little local gun shop run by a man with a ton of knowledge and field experience. I went in and asked about a new Remington 1100. He asked me what I was going to use the gun for and I told him mostly upland bird and some rabbit. He proceeded to bring a Franchi out to show me. He said the balance was much better to carry in the field than the Rem.. I told him I really liked the Franchi but I had saved up and I wanted to buy a new gun, not a used one. He informed me that the used one I was looking at was his personal gun and wasn't going anywhere but he had a new in the box gun just like it in the back. I paid $265 for that gun, I still have the receipt. It's my favorite gun of everything I own. I guess you can figure I would recommend one highly. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adcam - i think they're just imported by benelli. Les - thanks for the feedback - yours is about 40 yrs old you mentioned...do you know if the brand still carries the same level of quality as it did back then? GM now isn't what GM was 40 yrs ago...

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I haven't looked at a newer Franchi so I can't comment on the current quality issue. I do see favorable reviews about them. Mine has a totally chromed interior in the breech and the barrel that makes them show no wear at all and are easy to clean. I don't know if the current versions have this feature or not but it's one of the things I would look for.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I was lucky enough to come across a 20ga Falconet thats almost 40 years old and in never fired cond. All I can say is that it will never be for sale.
Don't really know much about the new models, but I dont think I would hesitate.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am not sure about the hunting Franchi shotguns, but I had an assault shotgun Franchi LAW-12. It was more of a novelty/cool looking than to be a home defense gun. Double safety, picky on ammo, cheap/poorly designed receiver shock absorber...but it was the lighter than any rifle in my safe besides a ruger 10/22. I wouldnt hesitate on the new models, unless the parts are pricey to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts