New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the FNH Five Seven for my next purchase. Does anyone have any expierence with this pistol? Any comments or advise would be appriciated.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
JVG was/is selling one on the for sale forum. Maybe a good place to pick it up.

My opinions. The Five-Seven was created along with the P90 as part of a NATO program to have a PDW (personal defense weapon) and handgun which shared the same cartridge, could penetrate kevlar, and had above-average capacities (20 in the handgun).

The choice of the Five-Seven is more about the choice of the 5.7x28mm cartridge. It recoils like a .22 but has extremely high velocities with very good penetration. It is expensive, difficult to reload, and hard to find. Civilians can't get hollowpoint ammunition as far as I'm aware. In NY we can only have 10 round magazines, and pre-bans aren't available for the Five-Seven, eliminating its biggest advantage.

If you plan on using the gun for defense, I would HIGHLY recommend against the Five Seven. The disadvantages of the cartridge noted above being the main reason. Also because I wouldn't to defend the use of that weapon in court. It is very popular with Mexican drug cartels and Counterstrike players.

The Five-Seven is a BIG gun, and has interesting controls (the manual safety is near the trigger where you'd expect a slide stop). It's expensive and aftermarket parts/holsters will be tough to come by.

So, in conclusion, the only use I would recommend the Five-Seven for is as a cool/fun/BBQ gun for range use only, and if you have a lot of money to burn on it.

If you tell us what you want to use the gun for, we can probably name some better choices.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Send a PM to ODgreekak, he has lots of experience with that round.
I think it would also make a great little survival rifle due to the small footprint.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JVG was/is selling one on the for sale forum. Maybe a good place to pick it up.

My opinions. The Five-Seven was created along with the P90 as part of a NATO program to have a PDW (personal defense weapon) and handgun which shared the same cartridge, could penetrate kevlar, and had above-average capacities (20 in the handgun).

The choice of the Five-Seven is more about the choice of the 5.7x28mm cartridge. It recoils like a .22 but has extremely high velocities with very good penetration. It is expensive, difficult to reload, and hard to find. Civilians can't get hollowpoint ammunition as far as I'm aware. In NY we can only have 10 round magazines, and pre-bans aren't available for the Five-Seven, eliminating its biggest advantage.

If you plan on using the gun for defense, I would HIGHLY recommend against the Five Seven. The disadvantages of the cartridge noted above being the main reason. Also because I wouldn't to defend the use of that weapon in court. It is very popular with Mexican drug cartels and Counterstrike players.

The Five-Seven is a BIG gun, and has interesting controls (the manual safety is near the trigger where you'd expect a slide stop). It's expensive and aftermarket parts/holsters will be tough to come by.

So, in conclusion, the only use I would recommend the Five-Seven for is as a cool/fun/BBQ gun for range use only, and if you have a lot of money to burn on it.

If you tell us what you want to use the gun for, we can probably name some better choices.
I currently carry a Kimber CDP II .45 acp.or a Kimber Rapter II in .45ACP. I also carry a Beretta Storm in 9mm. when I feel a little Italian. LOL

I was looking at this pistol as more of a nice range gun or sometimes a carry gun.

·
Registered
466 Posts
There was another five seven thread not too long ago with some info posted, if you search you should be able to find it

George

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
not to thought you off track but we are in NY so with 10rds max and no option for preban in the FN... ?

Before the FN there was and still there is the .357SIG ... just in case you want to consider.
The Austrians developed a load for the special police that is an 80gr solid that flies at 2000fps. No much recoil.
The 357SIG is the favorite of the US secret service.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
not to thought you off track but we are in NY so with 10rds max and no option for preban in the FN... ?

Before the FN there was and still there is the .357SIG ... just in case you want to consider.
The Austrians developed a load for the special police that is an 80gr solid that flies at 2000fps. No much recoil.
The 357SIG is the favorite of the US secret service.
I thought a $35 Hooker was the favorite of the Secret Service?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The only experience I have with it is someone in a pistol class I took had one. Its a big gun but I am sure you can still carry it concealed. Gun seems to run alright, I did notice it had a few malfunctions but I didnt dig deeper with the owner to see what was going on. Next time I see him I will ask to shoot it.
Ammo on it is costly though so beware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts