New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a club with a decent range to practice and improve my accuracy, but don't really want to travel to the other side of the state if I can help it. Are there any ranges in South Eastern Greene or North Eastern Ulster that are currently accepting members?

I was thinking about Saugerties Fish and Game Club, but I don't know anyone in the club. I've heard Coxsackie has a decent range, but it would be nice to find one a little closer. Maybe I expect too much. I've also considered the High Woods Sportsmen's Club.

Thanks for any info. Oh, I've also seen a few ranges not allow high powered rifles - I'd be interested in shooting .308 if that helps in range choice. I'd love to open up my options by getting a .22, but there's no ammo to be had!

· Registered
151 Posts
Where exactly do you live. Most counties have a federation of sportsmen clubs. Greene county is not up to date. There is Coxsakie sportmens club about 2 minutes from the thruway exit. There is the rip can winkle sportsmen club in I think it's palenville. It is about 2 minutes north of where rt 23b starts going into the ravine to go to hunter.

I am a member of Norton Hill wildlife club in Greenville NY. About 5 minutes East of Zoom Floom.

Don't be overly worried about knowing someone. Just show up to a meeting. Some clubs have a limitation on how many people can be in the club who live outside the county.

Far as your .308 goes, you should be good to go in most any club. However, the majortiy of sportsmen clubs only have a 100 yard shooting range, so it might get boring shooting that gun on the bench pretty quickly.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
Can't help with ranges, but I grew up on the outskirts of palenville and I still do almost all of my shooting on my parents property which includes up to/ over 1000 yards. Haven't shot that yet, but I'll be working on my 400, 600 yard shooting shortly.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thecelt - stop bragging :D

I'm in Saugerties now, but just bought a place near Cairo. I was looking at Coxsackie, but started thinking I'd like to find something closer if possible. My problem with showing up to meetings is that I don't know who's having a meeting when or where. You're right, the Greene County Sportsmen's Federation isn't much help.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
Id invite you out shooting but my folks like their privacy. If you find a good place I might be up for hitting it up with you sometime.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Id invite you out shooting but my folks like their privacy. If you find a good place I might be up for hitting it up with you sometime.
I can understand completely. If I had that kind of property, I'd keep a close guard on my privacy, too. If I find something good, I'll give you a shout. At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards Coxsackie. The only thing that really bugs me is their mandatory calendar sales - I've never been into that sort of thing.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello gentlemen. I too am looking for a good place to shoot in the Catskills. It appears that it is legal to target shoot in the "wild forest" areas of the Catskills (I.e. big Indian wilderness). Everyone I've read seems to say that this is legal. Can anyone confirm this?

· Registered
88 Posts
+1 on Norton Hill in Greenville, NY. Meetings are on the second Thursday every month and it's not like you have to show up religiously. The dues are low and no silly mandatory nonsense(I recall Coxsackie has a quota for selling raffles/tickets or some such.)

They have a 100 yard range. Been a member for about 5 years and I like it. Pretty much have had the entire range to myself whenever I go.

Have been wanting to shoot longer distances, *cough* (thecelt, I'm so jealous) so I joined Forbes up in Colonie which has a 1000yd range but getting up there is a pain as I don't have the time, and still haven't found a good shooting partner.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, as of Thursday night, I am a member of the Norton Hill club. Seems like a nice spot and it's cheap enough I won't cry if I only get out there a couple of times a year. Thanks for the heads-up on this one. Now I just need a free weekend....

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although I'm a very new member of the club, I feel that it's safe to say that they are still accepting new members. My advice is to show up to a few meetings and chat with some of the few people who show up EVERY month. There are 200 some members, but only 20 or so go to the meetings.

· Registered
88 Posts
Mountains, membership is simple: show up to a meeting and submit your application. Requires a sponsor and you know at least two members already! :)
Your acceptance will be voted on at the next meeting and you pay your dues.

I was planning on being at the next meeting to pay dues for next year. If you haven't got one already, I can probably pick up an application for you, or if you attend, you can get one yourself and submit it then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.