New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering getting another .22 as an x-mas gift, I already own a .22 bolt action rifle but want something a little bit cooler. So far, I've been looking at the H&K 416 22. LR or MP5 SD, or the GSG MP5 and S&W 10-22. I don't really have a budget yet but I would say the cheaper the better for now.

Do you guys have any suggestions or have any experience with any of these guns? Are there pre-ban mags for any of them?

link for the H&K guns

H&K 22 Rimfire - MP5 SD

link for GSG mp5

GSG-Guns :: GSG-522 Technical Data

· Registered
794 Posts
I was just talking to my wife about this i want a semi auto 22 for Christmas as well! Im going to suggest ruger 10/22 hands down.... huge after market you can make it look like just about anything u want and pre ban high caps are available... just my opinion i plan to go with a cheaper marlin as i could care less about after market for a 22 i just want to shoot cheap ammo! Lol

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Get your pistol permit and it opens up a whole new world of options.
I wish. I'm not 21 yet, I'll probably be 30 by the time i get my license with how the applications are here apparently.

The 10/22 seems neat.

Price for those HK's is i think 450ish for the mp5 and 5 something for the 416.

heres the GSG mp5

GSG MP5SD 22 LR, W/Fake Suppressor, 22 Rnd Mag - Impact Guns

HK 416
H&K 416 22LR, Carbine, 10 Rd Mag, Umarex - Impact Guns

I cant find the 10rd version on this site but this is the 20rd HK mp5

H&K MP5 SD 22LR 16.1 25RD - Impact Guns

edit: i'm not totally sure what's legal here, I thought telescoping stocks are okay as long as it isn't paired with other things that are evil?

· Registered
258 Posts
That's whats good about the Ruger. You're looking to spend 450 on the aforementioned rifles, you can buy the Ruger and customize it to be tacticool for probably a bit under that price range, and have preban mags hah. And believe me that once you go semi auto for plinking, 10 rounds just isn't enough.

· Registered
148 Posts
That's whats good about the Ruger. You're looking to spend 450 on the aforementioned rifles, you can buy the Ruger and customize it to be tacticool for probably a bit under that price range, and have preban mags hah. And believe me that once you go semi auto for plinking, 10 rounds just isn't enough.
Agreed, except the Eotech, it didn't cost me much to do that. If that's what you're after, you don't want to build it, I'd also look up the Sig 522 and the Smith and Wesson 15-22...also the Ruger SR22 Rifle, is basically a really nicely done up 10/22.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/rifles-sig522lr.aspx
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757786_-1_757784_757784_image
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Rifle/models.html

Keep in mind, biggest benefit of the 10/22 is ease of entry into modification, and extreme availability of parts! It also pretty reliably shoots everything.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 15 22 seems like a really cool gun, I have a bit of a bias as M4's and MP5's are two of my favorite guns. I think my local Dick's has those mp5's and maybe the AR's...so I'll have to go there and check, buying local seems like it would be faster and more convenient but it depends on what they have.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
edit: i'm not totally sure what's legal here, I thought telescoping stocks are okay as long as it isn't paired with other things that are evil?
To be an assault rifle and therefore illegal in NY state, the firearm must be:
1. Semiautomatic
2. Accept a detachable magazine
3. Manufactured after September 14, 1994
4. Has two or more of the following:
*Telescoping or folding stock
*Pistol grip
*Bayonet mount
*Flash suppressor (this does NOT include a muzzle brake) OR a threaded barrel
*Grenade launcher

So, with a telescoping stock + pistol grip , those are two 'evil' features and therefore would be illegal in NY state.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.