New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently received my pistol permit in the mail and am looking forward to purchasing my first handgun. I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to either a Glock 19 or an FNP 9 and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good gun shop in the upstate NY/Western NY area. My primary residence lies just South of Rochester, but I spend most of my time in Seneca Falls where I go to school.

I'd absolutely love to fire the FNP 9 before I decide, seeing as I've never fired one before. I've fired my friend's Glock 19, but a refresher on how the gun shoots would be wonderful. I understand that opportunities to fire guns before purchasing them at shops are limited, but I'd like to go somewhere with a friendly owner/staff, and where I'd be able to at least handle and dry fire each weapon with a snap cap so as to help me decide. Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The first that comes to mind for you is Pro-Gun in Victor. I have been in there and looked around but I have never dealt with them, so I can't speak on how they operate.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If you go with a Glock, consider the GSSF deal. Even with the additional shipping & FFL charges I saved a bundle! I wish I had just bought the G19 to begin with! After you spend months hearing people "rave" about them, you end up buying one! :) I am just waiting for my permit to be amended and I will be picking mine up! The Mail Man is like Santa for me each day...Will he bring me the permit for my new toy? I have been waiting over a week now!

Hello everyone, I recently received my pistol permit in the mail and am looking forward to purchasing my first handgun. I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to either a Glock 19 or an FNP 9 and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good gun shop in the upstate NY/Western NY area. My primary residence lies just South of Rochester, but I spend most of my time in Seneca Falls where I go to school.

I'd absolutely love to fire the FNP 9 before I decide, seeing as I've never fired one before. I've fired my friend's Glock 19, but a refresher on how the gun shoots would be wonderful. I understand that opportunities to fire guns before purchasing them at shops are limited, but I'd like to go somewhere with a friendly owner/staff, and where I'd be able to at least handle and dry fire each weapon with a snap cap so as to help me decide. Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done more than a few searches on these forums so far and if I do go with the Glock I'll more than likely pursue the GSSF route, it definitely seems like the best way to get a great price on a great gun.

I appreciate all of the responses and look forward to hearing other suggestions.

·
I am Iron Man!
453 Posts
FNP-9 DA/SA, decocker, 4 oz heavier, preban mags?--I'd go with the Glock.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Pro-Gun in Victor has always treated me well. they have a large inventory to handle, and never seem to mind letting me handle their guns and not purchasing them.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Or you could go see Fred at American Sportsman in East Rochester. He's a great guy and will treat you right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
what to buy?

I guess my first question would be what do you want to do with the gun? For me it was target. I got into a club, Syracuse Pistol Club, and got a wealth of info from all the members there.........ended up buying a custom 1911 Springfield. It is a fantastic piece of hardware. Depending on the guy pulling the trigger it could pop a fly at 25 yds.

I had gotten a Sig 226 before that but not great for target shooting. The Sig was good for carry, but a little too bulky.

After that I bought a S&W .22 for target and was very pleased with the accuracy. Finally I bought a Colt Commander, .45, for carry.

But really, the gun you get is for what purpose?

anyway good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow. Those are 2 completely different guns, aren't they. If I remember right, the FN is a doouble/single action with a decocker. The Glock is double action only. The FN will definitely have greater accuracy if you're punching paper. The Glock is idiot proof, as a self defense gun.

I own an older FN as well as a first generation G19. Quality wise, you can't go wrong either way.

My recommendation is to get the one that fits best in your hand.

One more thing, be very careful of pre-ban Glock mags. I've seen a lot of post-ban mags at gunshows labeled as pre-ban. Since the ban was lifted, a lot of post ban mags have arrived in local stores and local gun shows. The mags are now legal, but not in NY state. If you do indeed go with the Glock, learn to differentiate the different mags to determine what actually is pre-ban.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read a great post by kmussack about how to distinguish pre-ban from post-ban Glock magazines, not to stray too far off topic, but do you need to have a pre-ban Glock to legally use pre-ban Glock mags?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like someone mentioned above, what is your primary intented use for the new gun? Target or self defense? Concealed carry or home?

Personally I like .45acp and would get that first.

BTW did you look at the S&W M&P's They are probably the most comfortable guns out there and they are developing a great reputation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Glock if it's your first handgun. It will conceal easier than the FN and as stated above full capacity preban mags. And if you decide to upgrade it retains it's value pretty well. If you qualify for the LEO/GOV buy program through Glock it's well worth it.

And I haven't even drank the Glock Koolaid :) ... I carry one for work and personally not a huge fan. But they are inexpensive and pretty much bulletproof. You can't go wrong starting with a Glock.

God I miss creekside ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I ended up purchasing a Glock 19 O.D. from Progun in Victor. I am very pleased with my experience there. Everyone that I worked with was very friendly, knowledgeable and never condescending. I'd recommend Progun to anyone.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I ended up purchasing a Glock 19 O.D. from Progun in Victor. I am very pleased with my experience there. Everyone that I worked with was very friendly, knowledgeable and never condescending. I'd recommend Progun to anyone.
What did you end up paying?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts