New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know/willing to sell an L1A1? I'm in the market looking for a new rifle and figured I would get something in .308 buddy of mine has a CETME but I think I would like the L1A1 better. Nothing wrong with HK but I like the look of the FAL alot better and if I can find one for a reasonable price I would def buy one. :D

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Does anyone know/willing to sell an L1A1? I'm in the market looking for a new rifle and figured I would get something in .308 buddy of mine has a CETME but I think I would like the L1A1 better. Nothing wrong with HK but I like the look of the FAL alot better and if I can find one for a reasonable price I would def buy one. :D
Try in the wanted section on here, also keep in mind a FAL is a thousand or so more than a CETME, so take the into consideration and good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Try in the wanted section on here, also keep in mind a FAL is a thousand or so more than a CETME, so take the into consideration and good luck on your hunt.
Untrue, Century Fal goes for around 800 new, Century CETME around 600-700 New

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking it would be around give or take depending on condition. I'm from Dutchess County myself and i'm always keeping a look out for one.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I was not aware of this I thought they were more expensive, sorry for the bad info I've only seen 1 FAL for sale and it was quite expensive, I figured most others fell into that price range as well.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Even Century FALs ive seen on GB for $800/900.

I had a FAL once. Barely shot it then dumped it. Im more of a HK91 guy...

·
Registered
48 Posts

Nice one. That looks like a metric FAL, Andy is looking for a L1A1. The L1A1 is inch pattern.
Weren't the Century guns hybrids or mutts?? Not true Inch Pattern but not metric? They modified the receiver so an Inch cocking handle could be used, the, the mag well could use either mag.

Remember, the Angry Beavers built them. I am surprised that those rifles weren't modified to use G3 or M14 mags......

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My Century is a Metric, Has a excellent outward appearance. Had some small issues, but nothing someone with a little know how and some time couldn't fix.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Weren't the Century guns hybrids or mutts?? Not true Inch Pattern but not metric? They modified the receiver so an Inch cocking handle could be used, the, the mag well could use either mag.
Yes, I have one of those. My Century L1A1 uses mainly inch parts, but can use both inch and metric pattern mags. The inch mags are a better fit though, while the metric have some wobble.

The only problem I've ever seen with mine is that sometimes when loading and cocking the charging handle it will get stuck halfway through stripping a round, and will need to be pulled and dropped again. This problem never happens when the gun is cycling from a shot, only sometimes during the first manual loading. I could probably figure it out If I really put the time into it, but its not the biggest deal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry, I should have said the Century L1A1's were hybrids. They made a number of pure metric rifles as well. Some ran better than factory FN guns, others were terrible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd love a FAL, but the prices put me off. I guess with the Century guns, you just have to try before you buy, if possible. I can see why people prefer to drop less cash and get CETMEs, much as I love the FAL.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'd love a FAL, but the prices put me off. I guess with the Century guns, you just have to try before you buy, if possible. I can see why people prefer to drop less cash and get CETMEs, much as I love the FAL.
I think that century L1 in the pic cost me under $500, but that was probably.. 10 to 12 years ago maybe. Granted, I wouldn't expect to find one going for that these days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check the FALFiles' Marketplace. People now and then need to sell for various reasons and sometimes a deal can be found. A local shooter found a nice Imbel receiver based rifle for less than $800 there probably two years ago. That rifle was built by one of the known builders too. The only thing is that it had a flash hider and that would have had to get changed before transfer in NY, right?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Beat the bushes there are alot of deals to be had.... Yu can even find a decent kit and get an upper and have it slapped together for sub 1k.... Let us know what you decide....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank's for all the input guys! I was looking at going the DSA route but I cannot justify spending 1300-1700 for an FAL. I know DSA is top notch but just a little out of my price range right now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts