1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
I'm in

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Man, one of these seasons I am going to have to tag along with someone and learn something. I don't hunt deer because I can't eat red meat, but I would love to get my own turkey. I finally have a shotgun and some chokes too. (Still need that class, though...hmmm...)

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
just finished my hunters ed class. I would LOVE to be out there, just not ready. I would hurt an animal at this point, not a clean quick kill.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the hunting education class. I took it at GCL. I was especially moved by the number of little girls there with uncles and dad's who truly wanted to be there. They were heading out Sat for youth hunt. I asked the kids how they spent their vacation and they said "playin' Barbie's, getting ready for turkey hunt." Seeing well rounded kids makes me very happy. There were a lot of kids in the class, all well behaved, obviously wanted to be there and wouldn't dragged along. So nice to see.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Saturday was a complete washout at 4am, we would have had to hunt from the Ark if we went out at all. So we reset the alarms and at 7:30 it was just as wet. Scrapped the hunt until Sunday... Of course by ten the rain eased up..

My son and a few of us went out on Sunday for a few hours. Spooked a few off the roost walking to our spot in the almost dark - which SUCKS. Once the toms were off their roost they got pretty quiet. Watched six or eight fly down into a nearby ravine but they went away from us without a sound. Spent the next couple hours trying a few usual spots. Spotted a lone tom in a field, and tried the old 'cut him off at the pass' approach. Figured we had even odds on him coming in, as he was alone. He ended up coming in to our setup on a grown over logging road, but we didn't see him just around the curve in the road until we got up to move. He was quiet the entire time, too - did not respond at all, and once we stood up he took off like a flash. All morning, no gobbles. It was good fun, we enjoyed the woods together and put some miles on the boots. Perhaps considering the lone turkey we called in, maybe sitting a bit longer than usual when you don't get a response is a better idea.

Funny that they were so quiet, usually during the youth weekend they are gobbling at just about anything. Last year they were all around us (but never in shooting position for the boy!) The year before we tagged my son's first turkey at 6:30 and we were out of the woods by 7.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took my boy out to listen for his first time on Friday. we heard two possibly three on the roost. On the way home we stopped at the golden spot... where I can't hunt... There was a Tom and 8 hens... I turned off the car, put the windows down, pulled out my aluminum pot call and told the boy to watch the Tom's head... First yelp and the tom was all over it! The boy didn't see it at first but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th times he saw him gobble and talk about excitement! The boy could hardly stand it! He's been mouth yelping ever since! Now I know how my wife feels LOLOL

·
Registered
712 Posts
Your ready! Your turkey calling skills are way more important then your shooting skills. It may be years before you even get a shot.
Tell me about it...I go gaga over turkey and only times ive actually gotten them to come in is when a freind calls em in. Damn Waskly Toms!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
you bet! It's the most fun I can have with my clothes on!
OH...you hunt with clothes ON..maybe thats why I have no luck!! I thought it was my calling.

on a side note...wife bought me a awsome call for predator hunting and it has a turkey call on it....but i had to tell her cant use a electronic call with turkey......she was sad.....

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Electronic is against the law? School me on this please. I know nada about turkey calls. Learning...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.