New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I'm on a mission to locate and hopefully purchase a winchester model 94 30-30 . It belonged to my husband's great grandfather and my husband used it often for hunting , his great grandfather passed in 2009 and it was supposed to be passed down but instead a family member sold it to a local guy store , once we learned this we went straight to the store but the gun was sold the day before . It was purchased from shooter's sports in Valatie , NY in 2009 , his great grandfather had purchased sometime in the 70's . I would love to locate its new owner in hopes they'd be willing to sell it .
Window Wood Television Television set Varnish

·
Registered
268 Posts
It’s a very common rifle so you really need to find the serial number. The shop that sold it may be willing to help but would have to go through decades of paper. If you can find an original receipt it’s your best chance. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I owned a .30-30 I used Speer 170 FN bullets with decent accuracy, as good as Hornadys and Remingtons shot - around 2 moa scoped. That’s plenty good for the rifle’s use. What doesn’t your gun like about it?
After trying the FTX 160 30-30 bullets I haven't shot anything else. I did help my neighbor load some 150 fn Hornady for his 336, he has a shoulder problem so we used a starting load to minimize recoil. Scoped it shot 2" groups at 100 yards, he said his shots would not be that long.

·
Registered
377 Posts
After trying the FTX 160 30-30 bullets I haven't shot anything else. I did help my neighbor load some 150 fn Hornady for his 336, he has a shoulder problem so we used a starting load to minimize recoil. Scoped it shot 2" groups at 100 yards, he said his shots would not be that long.
The Hornady Leverevolution has given the 30-30 rifle the advantage of taking a shot on a whitetail deer over 150 yards with a scope. The only issue I experienced is that the bullet never exited the deer with no blood trail. I went back to the Remington 170 grain Corelokt which was always a one shot kill. I hunt a field and take shots at 150 yards or less. Deer run about 50 yards. The 170 grain load goes through and exits giving a quarter size exit leaving a blood trail which helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts