New York Firearms Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
All you really *need* is a scope that does not lose zero and allows you see your target clearly without obscuring it behind the reticle. The more important question is what you *want* in terms of features? Better quality glass is always good for clarity, but even with low magnifications the target will never be clear in some conditions even at shorter distances.

It may be better to determine what features you are most interested in - first or second focal plane, reticle type, return to zero functions, etc.

If you shoot at varying distances, especially if you are going with the .308, the total elevation adjustment might be something to look closely at. Unlike the .338, keeping .308 supersonic at 1k is going to take some careful planning on loads.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I would think most people like to hit targets, most likely consistently. So you *need* some equipment that can be consistent.
If you do not *care* about consistency and do not mind one hit out of each 50 then you do not *need* some decent equipment
nor training investments. Training is the most overlooked factor and why even with quality equipment people cannot hit anything
at those distances. Assuming the quality equipment is well installed and people know how to use it that is also a frequent problem.
It doesn't mean one has to have the top of the top but some decent setup and then lots of hours behind the wheel to get a deep
understanding and confidence about what is happening.

One can dedicate thousands of hours working with ranging equipment and simply looking at the environment and measuring wind with
a kestrel and doing adjustments and still be learning every day like shooting across canyon with multiple winds including downdrafts
and how to read those winds. After one actually masters this to a degree then it comes mastering the true applicability of one's methods.
Only experience, lots of training and good bullets and quality equipment. W/o confidence and repeatability, otherwise is just smoke and mirrors.

Simmons white tail really? come on now. Lets be a bit serious.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's likely I'm going to end up with another TRG so I'll want a scope that is of mid-high quality. Vortex would be at the low end. I'm not about to pay for a S&B, but a used Nightforce or Sightron would also work.

Time to start selling stuff and doing some more consulting work.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you haven't before, check out John from 8541 Tactical on YouTube.

He has a good set of videos that can be of good assistance. He reviews gear as well - and focuses on precision shooting. His rifles are easy on the eyes as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the process of buying or building a 1000+ yd rifle. A friend who has more money than I'll ever have keeps telling me that I need a scope that is at least 32X on the long end and it should be a NightForce. Anyone shooting 24X for 1000 yds?

Since Vortex doesn't appear to make a scope with higher than 24X power I wondered if anyone here shoots long distance and what scopes you have actually used/use and like...and why?

I don't need the lecture of "spend 3X the money on the scope as you did on the gun"....I'm aware of that, but I know there has to be some shining stars out there in scope-land that don't cost as much as a car, but offer good service.

I await your wisdom.

Thanks
I am in the same boat you are. I have an AR10 (DD5V4) and am waiting on a Creedmore from Larue. I understand there are 1000 yard ranges in PA, but it is a hike from LI. I am hoping there is something upstate, so I don't have to cross state lines. I am looking at Nightforce as well, although Larue has good optical scopes. In addition to the questions on this thread, what should one use for low light conditions early morning or late evening.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts