New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in nassau county and need a place to shoot. calverton is a long drive and mitchel field sucks. they only allow soft point ammo which really sucks. where do you guys from long island shoot?

·
Registered
183 Posts
there are a few private owned ranges open to the publicbut there a drive islip town range brookhaven town range open to public or join a club with a range most have some restrictions soft bullets help preserve the backstop.
why does it say banned on your name space

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am new to the forum and have a specific question-

I would like to take my 12 year old granddaughter to the Nassau County range at Mitchell Field. I was told by someone behind the counter that any child of 12 needs to be accompanied by an adult who has taken the Hunter's Safety course. Is this correct? Does the child also need to take the class? The person behind the counter said yes. When I called another day, the person answering said the child does not need to take the course.

Can anyone set me straight?

·
Registered
31 Posts

I would like to take my 12 year old granddaughter to the Nassau County range at Mitchell Field. I was told by someone behind the counter that any child of 12 needs to be accompanied by an adult who has taken the Hunter's Safety course. Is this correct? Does the child also need to take the class? The person behind the counter said yes. When I called another day, the person answering said the child does not need to take the course.

Can anyone set me straight?[/QUOTE

Just the adult need hunter safety. The kid does need to have picture ID.

·
Banned
714 Posts

Can anyone set me straight?
I went through this with my two children but it was years ago as they are both well into their twenties now. Back then, the nassau County Range would not honor NRA Instructor certification nor NRA LE Instructor certification nor firearms instructor certification from my then agency where I was an active firearms instructor. I was told I had to have either military certification as a firearms instructor or a hunter safety certificate. I was also told that all of my training certificates did not mean anything because they did not mean I knew what a hunter safety course would have taught me about the safe handling of firearms. When I asked what was that, and I BS you not, I was told that it would have taught me how to climb over a barbed wire fence while carrying a loaded rifle. I let the guy know what I thought of his hunter and firearms safety knowledge and later got in touch with the management to file an official complaint. I don't know if the complaint ever accomplished anything because I saw the guy still working there for at least a few months after (but thankfully not much longer than that) .

The management also told me that NYS law required not only me to take the hunter safety course but that my children had to take it too (and that was years apart for each of them - so it was 2 times they made my kids take it) but at least the manager was not an idiot about it. They just so happened to offer the course right at the range and of course, it was for a fee payable to one of the range officers who gave the class. The truth is, my NRA LE Instructor certification should have been more than enough and that is what the law still states.

As for the adult having a hunter safety certificate and the child requiring one also that is incorrect UNLESS IT IS A RANGE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENT. NY State law requires only the adult to have the hunter safety certificate, and only if the adult is not otherwise acceptably certified under the law. See:

NYS Penal Code 265-20 subsection 7, as follows:

Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose
of loading and firing, of a rifle or shotgun, the propelling force of
which is gunpowder by a person under sixteen years of age but not under
twelve, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a)
a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, air force,
marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of
New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who
has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice
issued by the United States army, navy, air force or marine corps, or by
the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association
of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws
of this state; or (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of
eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have
a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety,
ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by
the department of environmental conservation; or (d) an agent of the
department of environmental conservation appointed to conduct courses in
responsible hunting practices pursuant to article eleven of the
environmental conservation law.
All the best,
GB

·
Banned
714 Posts
That was unfortunate.... I can tell you by experience it depends on who you get at the door... esp at the Nassau Range
That had to have been around 10 years ago as it happened when I had my son there with me. I have to say, should have said in my first post on this, I have never been treated like that again at the Nassau County Range and was never treated like that before that day. Everyone else who works there has always been a gentleman or lady when dealing with me and my daughter or son when they were with me. I do remember that one particular guy had quite the nasty self righteous attitude. I suppose he was what is referred to as the range nazi type. Not a favorite term of mine, I usually shy away from it, but sometimes the shoe fits and he certainly seemed to have worn jackboots. He was an idiot, to me and to others I saw dealing with him, at least a few to several times when I visited the range. In all, my experiences, at the Nassau County range, have ranged from good to excellent with that one guy being the miserable exception.

All the best,
Glenn B

·
Banned
714 Posts
they only allow soft point ammo which really sucks
I forgot, but just remembered, I wanted to ask about this: Since when do they only allow soft point ammo? I almost always shoot hollow point ammo there. They definitely do not allow FMJ rifle ammo but have always let me use HP ammo and that is not SP. As for FMJ pistol ammo, I am not certain about it one way or the other as I always have HP ammo for my pistols.

Funny, that same guy, who years ago gave me grief on what I needed to have my 12 year old son shoot there, also gave me grief over my ammo one day. He told me that he easily could prevent me from using the range because I was using CCI solid points (copper washed round nose), and Federal Champion round nose lead bullets, instead of hollow points, in a .22 rifle. He said that was "technically FMJ ammo". I forgot all about that until just writing about him then looking back at the opening post of the thread. What pleasant memories.

All the best,
Glenn B

·
Registered
451 Posts
Isn't there a pistol range in queens? i know there was not sure if it still around. and I am prety sure it was pistols only. may be worth looking into.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts