New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long Gun Training has updated our schedule for the spring 2013, these courses will be held just south of Naples NY on a privately owned property that has a 500 yard flat range with steel targets. This property is an entire valley so we are currently working on plans for uphill/downhill courses on the hill sides with longer ranges, look for that this summer. Check our web site for more information and class registration.

Schedule for 2013:

March 16-17: PR101 (Full)
April 13-14: PR101 (2 Slots left)
May 25-26: PR101
June 22-23: PR102

Cost for these 2 day courses: $325

Also a 2 day competition is TBA for July/August 2013

PR 101 course description

A 2 day course of instruction included in PR 101 is designed for the beginner to intermediate shooter. This course has a heavy emphasis on the basics of driving a rifle and will be primarily done from the front support prone position. Physical exertion for students will be low to moderate. Included in the rifle setup we will help shooters properly fit their rifles to them if they so desire.

​​
• Range safety​
• Precision rifle terms and definitions​​​
• Rifle setup/care and cleaning (students need to have tools for their rifle system)​​​
• Fundamentals of using a​​​​ ​Scope and calibration
• Marksmanship and prone position principles​​​
• Rifle zero drill​​ (includes cold bore principles)
• Shooting drills out to distances of 500 yards​​

Regards,
Long Gun Training LLC

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Boy that's tempting. Unfortunately I have a little one on the way so money is tight. Maybe at a later date. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
748 Posts
So I sent you a PM but other people could probably benefit from this historically I have shot ARs/shotguns/.22s

I wanted to get into more precision shooting figured this class was a good start any suggestions on a good bolt action/scope setup for this?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have been eye balling your classes for months now. I'm just not sure my rig is up to the challenge quite yet. Plus I don't reload yet, and I can't find 175gr match ammo anywhere these days.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Components for reloading are almost as rare as unicorn horn dust right now, For the PR 101 we will work out to 500 yards, match ammo or reloads are preferred and will produce better results for you, but you can attend PR 101 with at least all the same ammo of some sort and get the job done. I would be highly suggested you start with the ammo/load you plan on running with in the long range classes in the future as we build your skills, ballistic data and confidence from PR 101. A change may be a setback but that could be worked out.

For the new folks and from the responses from our external ballistics class Long Gun Training is working on getting a course/class up for equipment selection and proper setup. We will cover cost, equipment selection based on your shooting mission and proper set up. Dan from Darkeagle custom rifles is working with us to get this out soon. Look for it on our web site and I will post here when it is ready.

Regards,
Long Gun Training

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are there any caliber restrictions ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From the web site

Equipment list:

· Rifle capable of one minute of angle with a known confirmed zero (.30 caliber max)
· Adjustable stock cheek piece preferred (if not may bring material and duct tape if you chose)
· Open turret adjustable scope (Mil or MOA) with a scaled reticle
· Bipod or other front support/ Rear support bag or sock
· Shooting mat
· Sling, not a carry strap
· Cleaning gear and tools for your rifle
· Pen, pencil, highlighter, and black marker
· Notebook, rifle data round count book
· Calculator
· Eye and ear protection
· Long sleeved shirts and long pants
· Durable boots or footwear
· Rucksack or backpack to carry all gear
· Ammunition (140-160 rounds) Match grade or hand loads
· Weather dependent gear (be prepared we shoot in all conditions)
· Hat or ball cap
· Field Chair
· Water, Field Snacks and lunch (No food services near range)
· Spotting Scope (if you have one)

If you have any questions please contact Long Gun Training.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you haven't signed up for a class yet, your really missing out. I learned more in the first day of class than I have in the 7 years I've owned a rifle. Seriously.
Everything from how to properly adjust parallax, to ”why does my rifle jump so far to the left after every shot?”.
-Nick

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If you haven't signed up for a class yet, your really missing out. I learned more in the first day of class than I have in the 7 years I've owned a rifle. Seriously.
Everything from how to properly adjust parallax, to "why does my rifle jump so far to the left after every shot?".
-Nick
I second this. The class was great!

Nice meeting you Nick.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This class was very enjoyable to instruct, it was smaller in size due to several students with legitimate reschedules provided. Everyone who attended ran 308 and all had mil/mil, as an instructor this made for smooth time management. We covered the entire curriculum for PR 101 and added a few topics. At the end of the second day a final school circle is called, then the range goes hot for a final zero check and open range time. Getting to sit back and watch students wearing the paint off the steel and seeing the progression of skills from the first day always makes me smile. Well Done to this group!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hopefully signing up for a class over summer...

Picking up the rifle this month and optic next week month.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Cool! We are going to have a Buffalo crew :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
lots of requirements outside my budget.
maybe next lifetime

sounds like a fun experience

1 - 20 of 20 Posts