New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yes, there are people that own them. Yes, it's a fun hobby and a good skill to have.

Be weary of NYS PL § 140.35

·
Registered
690 Posts
They are legal as long as you do not show intent to use them in a criminal act.

N.Y. PEN. LAW § 140.35 : NY Code - Section 140.35: Possession of burglar's tools
A person is guilty of possession of burglar's tools when he possesses any tool, instrument or other article adapted, designed or commonly used for committing or facilitating offenses involving forcible entry into premises, or offenses involving larceny by a physical taking, or offenses involving theft of services as defined in subdivisions four, five and six of section 165.15, under circumstances evincing an intent to use or knowledge that some person intends to use the same in the commission of an offense of such character.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I'm just sitting around my living room without my pants on, and I'm just picking a lock on a disembodied door knob, I should be ok, right?

Well, with that out of the way, any set recommendations?

·
Registered
690 Posts
So if I'm just sitting around my living room without my pants on, and I'm just picking a lock on a disembodied door knob, I should be ok, right?

Well, with that out of the way, any set recommendations?
Perfectly legal to do that, walking around in a hoodie sporting a ski mask and them in your pocket bad idea.

I'd recommend peterson stuff, well made. You'll want to make some of your own also

·
Registered
621 Posts
You used to have to be a locksmith to buy them. Now in the age of the inter-web, I bet you can find some.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Yes they are legal. If people tell you its not tell them to show you the exemption for locksmiths.... there is none. Like stated about as long as you dont intend to use them in a crime its not considered burglar tools or whatever the term is.

Some locks are easier then others to pick and the amount of pressure you use is crucial, Oh and when you play with it you will not feel so good about your locks probably anymore lol.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's amazing how bad some locks are, I did mostly auto (I was working towing and asset recovery) but played around with some padlocks and few dead bolts. Reminds me of this

Why didn't they just lock it with a piece of gum

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Oh and patience is key to unlocking this hobby, sorry couldnt help it lol. Seriously though you will need patience and love challenges because it will be challenging at times. Its also a perishable skill so if you get it then dont use it for awhile then you will need to practice again.

The racking technique is what I always try first. After you get into hobby you might replace some of your pins with some of these Security pin - Lockwiki

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've own a really good pocket set for years and it's come in handy on more than one occasion. Make sure you get a good set of Broken Key Extractors also.

Buy a couple of Master padlocks and practice on them. Practice and patience is needed. Learn the way a lock works and that makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
690 Posts
For when a key breaks off inside of a lock, sometimes happens in cold weather on frozen locks, if the key is old and fatigued ect. They also help if a pick breaks to remove the remains.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have a decent Southord set I like. Lock Picking 101 • Forum for Lock Picking, Locks, Safes, Picks and Locksmiths is a good site....I can't recall where I bought it but I have a practice cylinder which is easily re-keyable through set screws along the top so you can make it easy or hard and learn to feel for the next pin you need....PM me so I don't forget if you'd like and when I get home from work I can dig it out and see where I got it from.....I used to have fun re-keying lock sets when I worked for Lowes years ago, used to play with picking as a hobby for a bit.

EDIT: I found the web page I ordered the practice lock from http://learnlockpicking.com/ Awesome little lock, will show you how a lock works and how all components make a difference. And can change pins out as you want more difficulty and what not.

·
Registered
748 Posts

;-)

You can have lockpicks with you...The issue becomes if you have them and are committing a crime.

I also fly with them on a regular basis for work

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Scars.... you and I brother we think alike so often its scarey. I was thinking the other day about what would happen if in lost my keys and had to get into my house and didn't want to use my truck 12 gauge with entry muzzle break on it.

Let's be honest, most people looking to rob from you won't pick a lot these days they kick doors in BC their is no more honor amongst thieves. They bare thugs which is why I have two fur covered razor blades roaming free. However, I would imagine the fear of a professional gaining entry and leaving without a trace (besides a possible scratch on the lock or marks inside on the tumblers) to me would be more frightening. If you decide to get a set let me know which one and I may give it a shot as well.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
LZ1,

That looks like the torture kit that was gonna be used on Arnie in True Lies. Awesome.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I have a set made for cars (it doesn't actually use the lock itself). Worked in a shop installing stereos etc and we'd lock the keys in the car every now and then. It did come with a little flat key that worked on a lot of things like filing cabinets etc. Took my buddys boat for a ride one time with it lol. He didn't believe me until I showed him how easy it was to start his boat.

When we moved into the new house the movers packed up the old house one day and moved into the new house the next. locked the truck with a pretty good sized master lock. Well they showed up the next day with the wrong key. So the driver asked if he could borrow my lock set... a ordinary claw hammer. A couple of whacks and the lock popped right open. I was amazed how easy it was...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts