New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well my first Ar was a Bushmaster with an A2 upper, loved the rifle but was very limited with the fixed carry handle. So figured its time to build one so i can have a little more pride knowing i build it myself. Looked at a lot of different AR configurations and decided to go with a 18inch SS barrel and SS Comp. Like the look of the metal to break up all the black. Here is a list of what i have now.
  • Krieger match barrel machined for the US Army Marksmanship Unit.
  • SS JP Compensator
  • All Star Low Pro gas block
  • MBUS Gen 2
  • Badger Latch Charging Handle
  • MOE Stock
  • Magpul Grip
  • Timney 3# Trigger
Still in the mail i have coming a Chrome bolt, my Yankee hill upper, and Midwest Industries 15" BLK Single Rail Free Float Rifle Length MI-SS, and to top off the build ill be mating the upper to #101 ALL STAR LOWER. Here are a few pics of the parts that have been mailed to me alrdy. Really excited to build my first Ar. IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0644.jpg IMG_0645.jpg IMG_0646.jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looking good so far! There's nothing like holding a gun in your hands and saying, "I built this."

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Looking good so far! There's nothing like holding a gun in your hands and saying, "I built this."
Except when you bring it to the range and have random FTFs, lol.... I'm going through that now with a new build, but will get the kinks worked out :) Parts list looks awesome! Hope you have better luck with it than mine, but that's half the fun I suppose... Definitely not Battle Ready (mine not yours), lol.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Except when you bring it to the range and have random FTFs, lol.... I'm going through that now with a new build, but will get the kinks worked out :) Parts list looks awesome! Hope you have better luck with it than mine, but that's half the fun I suppose... Definitely not Battle Ready (mine not yours), lol.
well ill let you know in about 2 weeks. hand guard was shipped today looking at del monday. and still waiting on some cash for a BCG and the sale of my bushmaster will be buying me optics :)

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
well ill let you know in about 2 weeks. hand guard was shipped today looking at del monday. and still waiting on some cash for a BCG and the sale of my bushmaster will be buying me optics :)
I'm sure you'll be fine. Think I'm having a problem with the gas system on mine, but still working to figure it out. I probably did something stupid because I used all top notch components. They just have to learn to play nice with each other, lol. Seriously, good luck with your build. It looks awesome so far.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you. barrel ways a Ton though. hopefully without optics I'm under 9.5 pounds. should be close.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Had an issue with my first build I just finished a couple of weeks ago- it would feed ok for a few rounds and then short stroke and the bolt wouldn't lock back on the last shot. I loosened the gas block and rechecked alignment, put it together, and the problem has since gone away after ~100 rds. Still has constant FTF's with steel case ammo though. Guess I'm stuck with brass for now. I'm not sure if it just had to "break in", or if the gas block was a little out of position. Good luck getting it fixed!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Had an issue with my first build I just finished a couple of weeks ago- it would feed ok for a few rounds and then short stroke and the bolt wouldn't lock back on the last shot. I loosened the gas block and rechecked alignment, put it together, and the problem has since gone away after ~100 rds. Still has constant FTF's with steel case ammo though. Guess I'm stuck with brass for now. I'm not sure if it just had to "break in", or if the gas block was a little out of position. Good luck getting it fixed!
Thanks, don't want to muck up this post but that's exactly what I'm working on now. I was on the phone today with manufacturer of gas block (BTE) who said he's seen alot of issue with gas port not being drilled out enough on rifle length system as well as told me a few tips to make sure everything is in alignment. I'll get the kinks worked out. It's a freaking awesome build...... if only it worked, lol. Seriously, was shooting with a young marine (still active) on Sat. and he loved the "firearm" but couldn't figure out the FTF issues. I'm pretty sure its gas related. Let's take it to another thread if you want to continue. Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks, don't want to muck up this post but that's exactly what I'm working on now. I was on the phone today with manufacturer of gas block (BTE) who said he's seen alot of issue with gas port not being drilled out enough on rifle length system as well as told me a few tips to make sure everything is in alignment. I'll get the kinks worked out. It's a freaking awesome build...... if only it worked, lol. Seriously, was shooting with a young marine (still active) on Sat. and he loved the "firearm" but couldn't figure out the FTF issues. I'm pretty sure its gas related. Let's take it to another thread if you want to continue. Thanks.
Of course, my apologies to the OP for cluttering up his thread. Occurred to me right after I posted it that it was off topic.

On a more appropriate note, glad to hear that PSA shipped your handguard. They took 2 weeks to ship the stock kit I just ordered. Any ideas on what BC you're going to buy yet?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RRA chrome Bolt, a very nice member from here is picking me up one from his local shop who has them I'm stock and is shipping it to me.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My YH upper came in the mail today :) looks very nice, can't wait to pair it to my AST lower when i get it on tuesday. and should have my chrome bolt by saturday and my hand guard is get for delivery on Tuesday also. Then my last step is having a guy pin my Comp. which will be done the next day after its dropped off :) so excited to have this build started and completed in under 3 weeks.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Thats awesome! Hope we can see some pictures and maybe a range report once you get this all together! It is definitely fun building AR's and I hope yours functions flawlessly from the start.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats awesome! Hope we can see some pictures and maybe a range report once you get this all together! It is definitely fun building AR's and I hope yours functions flawlessly from the start.
there will be more pics as soon as my FF comes in. matched my barrel to the upper and it looked so good. can't wait to get it all polished up and together.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my hand guard and the whole lower should be here tomorrow. should have most if not all of it together tomorrow night then just need to get the comp welded. pics to follow of the complete upper is ups gets here early enough

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hand guard came ups so i got to finish the upper b4 work. now i just need to get the comp pinned. will have all my lower parts tonight after work and ill mate the 2 tonight. here is the completed upper.
IMG_0649.jpg IMG_0650.jpg , and thank you for everyone who helped me get the parts i needed.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
nice work, glad you had better luck than me, lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts