New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Live Military Auction - Hand guns, Rifles, Shot guns, Long guns, Machine Gun Model+++

5K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Bob 
#1 ·
William Jenack Auction Gallery will be holding a live auction this Sunday, December 18th at 11am

To be held live at our location: 62 Kings Hwy Bypass, Chester, NY 10918 (GPS:62 Sugarloaf Bypass)

Preview: Wednesday, Friday & Saturday: 9-5pm
Thursday 2-5:45pm
Sunday: 9-10:45am

400+ Lots will be auctioned off..including guns, knives, swords, medals, scientific instruments, tribal arts, etc...

Visit our website at www.jenack.com to view items

Call our gallery Monday - Sunday, 9am-5pm for more information, condition reports, absentee/phone bidding.
845-469-9095

#12 ·
I am only trying to get the word out to collectors and enthusiasts. I thought I was doing something positive by spreading the word about this annual event/auction. I did not think posting an auction in the "events" section would be such a problem..or bring such negativity. There are some beautiful & rare pieces going up for auction. When I've gone to gun shows, there are plenty of people there who are not in the "firearms" business..and I'm sure they do not donate all their profits to a cause..or maybe I'm wrong.

#14 ·
Jenack the point is you posted to drum up interest in a cause you stand to gain from. Well that's a great idea there are others who post here about there business ventures as well. They pay the sight to do so. Since you haven't paid the sight that's why you are getting flamed.

A M1 Garand uses a clip. An AR-15 uses a magazine.

#17 ·
So you will pay for a service only after you have profited from it? That doesnt make any sense to me.

NYF is a great place with tons of visitors each day. Sponsorship's are relatively inexpensive and it gets your ads right in with your target market. You cant beat that.

The NYF community is as a whole very welcoming and very knowledgeable however when someone shows up and steps out of line they know it rather quickly. As you have just found out. I encourage you to become an active member and see what this place has to offer. You will not be disappointed.

#20 ·
I am just a sarcastic ass, that's why the sun ain't shining over here, however you have stuck around thus far, so I will give you a helping hand.

If you were just some guy on this forum, and you put up a post to your site saying "hey guys, I heard about this auction, etc" that's one thing. That is a simple sharing of knowledge.

The problem here is that you are the vendor for this auction so (as stated) you stand to make a profit from it, and as such, a lot of forums will ask that you pay for advertising. This helps keep the site free for the users, keeps the costs down for the hosts, still allows you to spread the word about your auctions and everyone wins.

I would suggest you contact Mike Centola on this site (as he is the owner) or any of the admins (names are in blue) to see about how they would like you to handle this.

While the particular auction you are referencing does contain some guns, as you noted, there are enthusiasts of all kinds on this forum, and as such, I would see it as more beneficial to you to pay for some advertising and then people can see what auctions you have going on any time of the year, and then (assumably) you'll be able to profit more from getting the word out more often about all of the auctions you run thruout the year, as opposed to just one.

Hope this helps :)

#22 ·
Ok I don't see what the big deal here is, yes this guy is a vendor in the auction, and yes he stands to make a profit from posting this on NYfirearms however so does everyone else here, that's like if someone posted "M1 Garand for sale w/ extras" and one of us got on here and was like "O so your gonna make some money off of that sale that's not right." It's the guys business, he makes money and the people on here that went to the show have the opportunity to own a piece of history for a good price. Its like if I worked at a gun shop and made commissions on my sales, we get some badass AR15s in, maybe the new blackouts and I tell you to come in and talk to me cuz I'm from NYfirearms, am I gonna get a speech about how I shouldn't post it on here because I make a commission? I posted a very similar thread about the Oneonta gun show, no I wasn't a vendor there it was a heads up for people who were into guns, thats all I see it as for this guy, if we expect him to pay for advertising then we should be asking everyone who posts in the WTS section for 10% sales fee off this site because they should be "advertising" on armslist

Sorry for bumping a post thats kinda dead (the auction is today at 11am) but I just read through the comments and was a little confused as to why this guy was catching flak.

#27 ·
The big deal is that MOST forums run on a donation basis. Some ask for donations, some sell a premium membership or mod status, etc...

Mike doesn't ask for donations, instead he sells advertising space. Selling advertising space is how the bills get paid, and how we (the members) get to come on here for free every day. So the difference is (as I said in my original post, should you cared to have read it) is that a USER posting something is sharing knowledge, a potential VENDOR is someone who stands to gain by posting their info in an effort to get people to show up, when in reality what should happen is the poster in question should have contacted the web admin (or done whatever to make contact) let it be known, get a spot set up under vendors, & get a clickable banner to be shown on the site.

Not only does this help the vendor for this event, but all future events going forward, and it helps all of us.

Perhaps, optionally, we go your route... let everyone post for free, and you can foot the bills? I know it gets pricey, but I would like to say thanks in advance for letting me get on here for free everyday :)

#23 ·
Dystrukto - really? No, REALLY?

So, you see no problem with every Tom, Dick and Harry business advertising their business on here without any financial contribution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.